FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The five stages of computer crashes: anger, anger, anger, anger, acceptance

Author Topic: The five stages of computer crashes: anger, anger, anger, anger, acceptance
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
The five stages of computer crashes: anger, anger, anger, anger, acceptance

Earlier this year I had a mini-stroke that put me in the hospital for three days. Last night I drove home through thunderstorms to find my computer hard drive had been fried to a nice toasty brown. Overall, I'd say the mini-stroke was more fun. At least then I got morphine.

If you've never lost a hard drive, the comparison isn't as odd as you might think. You're caught by surprise, shocked at the suddenness and unfairness of it. The feeling of loss, of frustration, of not being able to do everything you once took for granted; all that crashes down on you and you're left with a pounding headache and an unanswered plea to the deity of your choice.

Although in my experience, with a computer crash you tend to kick things more.

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
But it's pretty hard to back-up a brain....

[Smile]
(okay - off to read the article now)

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ssasse
Member # 9516

- posted      Profile for ssasse           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's like being a nutritionist with scurvy.
*grin

My condolences, Chris.

Posts: 132 | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
Perfect, as always . . . especially the part about probably not backing up anything after all is said and done!
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...but I will have to suffer the PC guy who tries to retrieve my hard drive data snickering at my musical tastes and loudly asking why my collection of educational films all have "Brandi" in the filename.
I guess it's telling that I thought this was the funniest line in the whole article.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
Great article, as usual Chris. I laughed out loud at that line too, JT.

Sorry 'bout the hard drive.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...Considered going my traditional computer repair route but couldn't find the hammer.
[ROFL]

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
I still have not performed even rudimentary experiments to see what's fried and what isn't. As long as I don't look, the continued existence of my hard drive is in a quantum state...

I've got my HD, my secondary HD, and an external drive. It'll be annoying to lose the first (programs, OS, e-mail, some documents), really annoying to lose the external (backups), and excruciating to lose the secondary (all my workfiles, music, downloads, scanned artwork, etc). Sigh.

Near as I can figure my computer was protected but my cable box was not and it took a hit, passing it along to my computer. I have faint hopes that I can remove the network card from my computer and watch it magically spring to life, but I ain't counting on it.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if it can make you feel better, but your hard drive problem was the cause for a wave of joy and laugh across the planet.
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That's been my response to bad news for some time now. "Well, at least I can get a column out of it..." [Smile]
Anna
Member # 2582

- posted      Profile for Anna           Edit/Delete Post 
[Hail]
Posts: 3526 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
I know how this goes. My computer keeps memory dumping, freezing, seeming like it's going to boot up then cutting off for quite a while. So now I have to wait for a new one...
It will take forever!

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

I am conditionally happy.

Took my two HDs over to my brother-in-law's and hooked 'em into his system, and could access both of them. This suggests that my motherboard is fried but my HDs are OK, which (if true) is a lot more than I expected.

Also, looks like my cable modem is OK but my wireless router is hosed. I can connect directly to the cable modem with my laptop -- as I am now -- but while I get a good strong signal from the wireless connection I can't get online.

Currently I'm planning on shopping for a new system, but it is a huge relief that I may not have lost my data.

Doesn't invalidate the column, though...

CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Chris Bridges:
I still have not performed even rudimentary experiments to see what's fried and what isn't. As long as I don't look, the continued existence of my hard drive is in a quantum state...

So, you have Schrodinger's hard drive?
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think he's saying he put a cat in his tower to troubleshoot.
Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Exactly. If I never collapse the wavefunction of my hard drives, I never have to know...
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I had a sudden overwhelming desire to back up everything...

And then I realized that I'm on a new laptop, and all of my data is still safe on the old one.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
And I work with computers for a living, which just grinds in that extra little salt-in-the-wounds annoyance. It's like being a nutritionist with scurvy.
ROFL. [Big Grin]

Good news on the still-working hard drives. Though, if the system has sustained one surge already, chances are the life expectancy of the affected drives has shortened considerably. Factor this into your plans for future storage and backup. [Smile]

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
Memory is cheap, real cheap. At least the computer type. [Big Grin]

I saw a 350 gig HD (external) at Circut City last night for $220.

I bought a 160 gig HD (internal) for $50 about a month ago.

I would consider replacing the HD's and transferring the data fro the current ones. It will save you trouble in teh long run, IMO.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

That's the plan. I still hate having to set everything up again, and remember all the little non-intuitive details that make every program go, but at least I'm starting from a better position. I'm going to stop on the way home and grab an enclosure for my HD so I can get to the stuff easily for now.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.