FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Belief Quiz Statistics (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Belief Quiz Statistics
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
What are the axes for the graph? Did I miss someone saying this?

Yes .
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Scroll up.

edit: beaten to it.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
AH.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a new graph. This time I plotted the second and third strongest dimensions (rather than first and second).

In this case the X-axis corresponds (roughly) to what I've variously tried calling conservative/liberal, structured/unstructured, traditional/non-traditional, but nothing suits it quite right.

The Y-axis, on the other hand, has a fairly unique interpretation. It follows the number of Gods believed in, with zero at the bottom and many at the top. <edit>I should specify that it's not necessarily linear. Thus the bottom third are people who (speaking fuzzily) believe in 0 to 1 God. The middle third (again, speaking fuzzily) are people who believe in 1-3 Gods, and the top third are people who believe in more than 3 Gods. Again, this is generally speaking, not specifically. </edit>

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, twink is way out by his lonesome.

I'm in about the same place on both graphs.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Avin
Member # 7751

- posted      Profile for Avin           Edit/Delete Post 
Now THAT graph is really interesting - reflecting perhaps what KarlEd has been saying, that non-theists have much more widely disparate beliefs than theists! I'm not surprised.
Posts: 142 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Karl, Strider, the reason for what you're describing is that I answered "not applicable" in all of the cases that asked me to answer according to how my faith defines things. That meant I had to refrain from answering questions about which I do have a personal opinion -- that is, abortion, homosexuality, et cetera. When I took the tests previously, I answered all of those questions with my opinions even though I'm a nontheist, and wound up with results much like yours.

According to the way the questions are structured, I actually don't think that atheists or agnostics should answer the "faith-based" questions, even the ones about which they might have an opinion.

Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
That's true twinky. I answered all of those questions with my personal opinion. I suppose that my "faith" doesn't hold the same opinions, because it doesn't have any at all.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
twinky
Member # 693

- posted      Profile for twinky   Email twinky         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. From the quiz:

quote:
Respond to the following (Questions 8-12) based on how you believe a person attains salvation, exaltation, eternal reward, spiritual liberation/enlightenment, spiritual harmony, merger with God, etc.
Questions 11 and 12, for example, could easily be answered by a nontheist if they were simply about how a person should live rather than how a person attains salvation.

quote:
11. Doing good works (deeds) and acting compassionately is:

Necessary.
Not necessary.
Not Applicable.

For instance, I chose N/A for this question, because since I don't believe in "salvation," I also I don't believe that doing good works and acting compassionately are necessary for salvation. That in no way implies that I don't think people should do good works or act compassionately, but such an answer doesn't fit in the framework of the question.

quote:
Respond to the following moral statements (Questions 13-20) based on how you would want your religion or faith category to address them.
I had strong opinions about many questions in this group, but put N/A for most or all of them. The ones I felt particularly strongly about (e.g. prescribed geneder roles) I gave "high importance" even though my actual answer was N/A.
Posts: 10886 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Leonide
Member # 4157

- posted      Profile for Leonide   Email Leonide         Edit/Delete Post 
I re-took the quiz marking "not applicable" for the questions twinky mention, and got 100% Nontheist and 100% Secular Humanist
Posts: 3516 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.