FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Help me figure out my political philosophy

Author Topic: Help me figure out my political philosophy
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, so the last couple months I've been reading about a lot of different political philosophies- everything from communitarianism to libertarian and it between. I took the online Nolan chart quiz, which says I am a centrist.

I realize I hold a lot of conflicting political views. I don't really identify with Democrats, Republicans, Libertarians, conservatives, or liberals (with all their associated social/economic/etc flavors).

I've found points value in classic liberalism, modern liberalism, conservatism, libertarianism, and even communitarianism. The problem is that none of these philosophies, when fully carried out would produce a country that I would want to live in (except in a perfect world, then they'd all work).

What political schools of thought do you most closely identify with, and why?

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Fortunatly, you do not have to join a party, in fact, I would advise against it.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Be a Tianist. Heck, you could be big leader--later to be called The Big BaoQing
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Political classification is mostly used for pejorative labeling and summary group-based invective.

The only intelligent move is to deny having a label whatsoever. Use obscure and wordy definitions when pressed.

"I'm a civil-libertarian constitutionalist-structuralist nonaffiliate with emphasis towards the use of social functionalist analysis as a means by which policy may be empirically tested and driven"

Then, acronym.

You'll be a CLCSNwETTUOSFAaaMBWPMBETaD.

Never simplify! Never! You are endangered should the above handle be parsed into something like, for the purposes of the above example, "Civil Rationalist" or "Civil Structuralist" or -- heaven forbid -- something catchy like the Civic Party. This becomes a label by which all remotely affiliated misdeeds and ill intent, real or imagined, can be defamed in the name of all the members of its association.

The second anyone tries to lump you in with the left or right, shoot them in the face without hesitation and parade their head on a pike as a warning to others attempting to 'continuum' you. Remember: political stereotypers and opprobrious policy generalizers can smell fear.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a second. Samprimary is a member of the Civic party? Wow. Get him!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
See? See?

Do not scorn the murky waters of politically non-labeled limbo. It is warm and hidden, thereabouts. It is a gift.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Now to totally disregard the (good) advice about not labelling one's self.

I think communitarianism is awesome. If I could ever find a communitarian candidate running for any office, anywhere, I'd vote for them. I even mentioned communitarianism once in a thread somewhere.

Ahh, here it is.

And (I didn't realize this until I did the search), Scott claims our worthy host is also a communitarian here.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalier
Member # 3918

- posted      Profile for Cavalier           Edit/Delete Post 
"Black Sock" politics are where it is at:

*puts black sock w/ eyeholes on head*

(Insert long speech here about civil society and the growing threat of neoliberalism)

Libertad! Democracia! Justicia!

*fires Ak47 randomly into the air*

Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I have this problem too. I think I'm mostly Libertarian, but more for their social policies than their economic policies. So I don't really want to vote Libertarian, because I've found most Libertarians are so because of their economic policies. I like their economic policies in moderation, but Libertarians don't seem to be big on moderation.

I've been trying to figure out for the past 5 months how to vote in November, and am no closer to finding an answer than I was 5 months ago. I live in Indiana's 9th District, which is one of the closest races in the country, so I really feel like my vote counts. I just don't know how I want it to. I dislike both of the major parties pretty equally.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cavalier
Member # 3918

quote:
I like their economic policies in moderation, but Libertarians don't seem to be big on moderation.
Wouldn't a moderate Libertarian economic position boil down to being a mainstream economic position? It seems like all Libertarians do is take a semi-coherent idea (eg cut taxes)and make it more extreme (eg ABOLISH TAXES!! w00t!).

And you can yell at me if I'm wrong but you (blacwolve) seem like a DLC-style Democrat (fiscally conservative and softly neoliberal in policy) with a zeal for individual rights.

Just throwing it out there.

Posts: 183 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wouldn't a moderate Libertarian economic position boil down to being a mainstream economic position? It seems like all Libertarians do is take a semi-coherent idea (eg cut taxes)and make it more extreme (eg ABOLISH TAXES!! w00t!).
Actually, that was the impression I had of all the competing philosophies out there.

I'm not exactly seeking a label with which to identify myself. I'm more interested in learning about some as yet undiscovered group that somehow embodies more than one facet the way I view things.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
http://concordparty.org
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Libertarians do not represent me, although I am a libertarian. They represent Ayn Rand style libertarians, not John Stuart Mill types.

"I've been Ayn Rand'd
Nearly branded
Communist cause I'm Left handed."

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tresopax
Member # 1063

- posted      Profile for Tresopax           Edit/Delete Post 
I just believe in whatever is right.
Posts: 8120 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
We welcome everyone in the Republican Party.
Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

- posted      Profile for happymann   Email happymann         Edit/Delete Post 
According to the World's Smallest Political Quiz I am Centrist (whatever that means, in the grand scheme of things). Just thought you might be interested in the quiz.
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Jay, he said he believed in whatever is "right," not "Right."
Cavalier
Member # 3918

quote:
No doubt you welcome any votes you can get - though that in no way implies the Republican Party represents or advocates for everyone.
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
Jay, he said he believed in whatever is "right," not "Right."

Marvelous!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Happyman-That's the quiz I took, I thought the results were shown on what is called a Nolan chart, but I could be wrong. It also showed me as a Centrist.

I realize I need more explanation of what I think. Several aspects of libertarianism and classical liberalism appeal to me. I like the idea of minimalist government intervention, with the rights of the individual emphasized. I also like the importance of self-responsibility. I do lean more towards the ideas of negative liberties as opposed to positive (sorry Pel & John Stuart Mill). Things I don't like about libertarianism is it completely rejects the idea of communities in my opinion, which ignores the way that we humans live and interact.

Somewhat on the opposite end of the spectrum is communitarianism. Their assertation of the existance of public values rings true to me, however, the direction they go with this I don't fully buy into.

I have similar concerns about conservatism and liberalism. Fiscal conservatism sounds great, and while I don't agree with all the stances social conservatism takes in this country (and indeed what it can be used to justify worldwide) I do appreciate the balance that it causes in its general opposition to modern liberalism. Modern liberalism's goals of social welfare states and wealth redistribution took some good ideas and went too far IMO. However, with their emphasis on civil liberties and responsible use of the environment I think they have a lot of moral positions.

I guess maybe I am a Centrist or maybe just Confused.

Note: I made a lot of broad statements in the above paragraphs. I know there's room to debate every sentence I wrote. My intent was not to declare truths of various schools of political thought, but rather just share my opinions. Please don't take offense if you feel I've unjustly characterized a position you hold with. Thank you.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
The best political quiz I've ever seen is Your Political Compass It analyzes what you say on a social and fiscal axes and it is more in depth than the other one I mentioned earlier in this thread.

This quiz said that on an economic scale I'm -4.68 from the the Y axis. On a social scale I'm 1.38 from the X axis. (Both of those being out of 10)

[ July 20, 2006, 02:00 PM: Message edited by: Shawshank ]

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Might want to change the link to .org
Shawshank
Member # 8453

Link changed- sorry BQT.
Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cavalier:
quote:
No doubt you welcome any votes you can get - though that in no way implies the Republican Party represents or advocates for everyone.
Sure we do. Look at these examples of typically liberal causes with GOPers heading them up for example:

http://www.republicansforchoice.com/
http://online.logcabin.org/

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
happymann
Member # 9559

Bao, the chart is based off of David Nolan's chart, so, you were right (as in correct) [Wink] .
Posts: 258 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Rational anarchist.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Interesting, quiz. I felt that many of the questions were inadequate in describing my views, but overall it wasn't bad.

If anyone's curious, I scored:
Economic Left/Right: 0.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.82

At least in wasn't 0,0 I guess. However, looking at the chart, there's not one world leader listed that is even in my quadrant. I guess I don't have a brilliant future in politics ahead [Smile]

happymann
Member # 9559

Some of the questions were manipulative, but I scored

Economic Left/Right: -1.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 0.15

which barely puts me in a quadrant at all.

Shawshank
Member # 8453

I felt that the religious section needs to be longer- those questions made me seem like a person not-involved religiously. Which is quite the opposite of truth. And then out of the 5 questions they did have one was on the validity of Astrology?
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I found MOST of the questions to be manipulative, and there was no option on any of them for "don't know" or "neutral/no opinion". I mean even if I didn't fully understand a question, I had to answer it.
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Member # 5108

- posted      Profile for Avatar300   Email Avatar300         Edit/Delete Post 
Economic Left/Right: 7.63
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.74

I've taken the test before, and also feel many of the questions to be manipulative.

quote:
If economic globalisation is inevitable, it should primarily serve humanity rather than the interests of trans-national corporations.
There is a choice to agree or disagree, but what if I feel that globalization can and will be good for both?

quote:
It is important that my child's school instills religious values.
Shouldn't the answer change depending on the type of school? It's obviously important if you have your child in a religous school. Much less so if it's a public school.
Posts: 413 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

1. The World's Smallest Political Quiz is absolute garbage.

2. Your Political Compass is also sort of wonky.

I don't trust results from either of them. The best online political quiz I've yet seen is The Moral Matrix.

Try the long quiz from that site. You might like the results.

Cavalier
Member # 3918

quote:
Sure we do. Look at these examples of typically liberal causes with GOPers heading them up for example:

http://www.republicansforchoice.com/
http://online.logcabin.org/

[ROFL]

Okay, so trying to pass gay marriage amendment and all of the South Dakota shenanigans is also no doubt supposed to show how Republicans have the warm and fuzzies for homosexuals and pro-choicers.

Gimme a break. The Republican Party gets these people in the voting booth and then promptly stabs them in the back after the results come in. They have no sway in the party, they're just window dressing to make the party appear more moderate and reasonable than it really is.

SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Cavalier:
Gimme a break. The Republican Party gets these people in the voting booth and then promptly stabs them in the back after the results come in. They have no sway in the party, they're just window dressing to make the party appear more moderate and reasonable than it really is.

"These people" join the Republican party knowing full well the party platform. Although they likely disagree with the party's stance on SSM and/or abortion, they likely feel more strongly about other issues (economic, foreign policy, etc.) where the party more closely represents their ideology. There's no back-stabbing going on at all; people (and parties) are not solely defined by their stance on SSM or abortion.

I even know some pro-lifers and SSM opponents who are registered Democrats. Shocking, I know.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

Sam-

Have you ever tried this political survey. It was created in response to the poor methodology of the Political Compass. I've found it to be pretty good.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

Moral Compass Quiz:

Your scored 1 on the Moral Order axis and 0.5 on the Moral Rules axis.

Matches

The following items best match your score:

System: Authoritarianism
Variation: Moderate Authoritarianism
Ideologies: Social Republicanism
US Parties: Democratic Party
Presidents: Gerald Ford (83.91%)
2004 Election Candidates: John Kerry (79.15%), George W. Bush (69.94%), Ralph Nader (68.99%)
Statistics

Of the 212076 people who took the test:

0.9% had the same score as you.
35.8% were above you on the chart.
52.5% were below you on the chart.
22.6% were to your right on the chart.
71.5% were to your left on the chart.

It was an interesting test, but again I'm right near the center and hated about half the questions.

And Sam's Link:

Axis Position Normalized
1 left/right +2.0202 (+0.1216)
2 pragmatism +0.1969 (+0.0119)

Thanks for all your links...it has been enlightening.

[ July 21, 2006, 12:57 PM: Message edited by: BaoQingTian ]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.