FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hatrack Help needed...find this book for me!

Author Topic: Hatrack Help needed...find this book for me!
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
My sister is having a baby this November, and I am having a hard time with being so far away. I doubt I will be able to get the time off to go see her and my new niece as I work in retail, and JenniK works at Disney. We are really, really busy at work at those times, so it just isn't feasible, particularly if I get promoted soon.

I got to hold my niece, Logan, before my sister did. Lauren almost died having Logan, so that adds another level of concern. Lauren was still out from having a C-section, and I got to see the look in her eyes when she saw Logan for the first time.

It was awe inspiring and wonderful....and makes me really really sad to miss it this time around.

I remember a book my grandma bought me when my mom was having my sister. It was a book about a family of Hippos, and they were having a new hippo join the family. It talked about having a new sister (I think), and I really want to read this to my niece. I thought it would be a great project for the Reading Out Loud Club too.

That way Logan can still hear my voice reading her the story that my grandma read to me to prepare for Lauren....Logan's mom.

I know, it's sappy. But that's me, at least where my family is concerned.

I can't find the book, though. I can't remember the title. I was only 3, after all. [Big Grin] I had the book for years, but my mom packed it all up and sent it to my aunt years ago, I think.

Please help me find this book. It means a lot to me, it really does.

Kwea

[ July 20, 2006, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Kwea ]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Mom Hippo was away, and the baby hippo was waiting at the zoo for her to come home wiht a new baby sister.

I could have sworn that the baby brother's name was Robby, which is why my grandma picked it for me, but I could be wrong, she might have just filled my name in after crossing the real name off.

I tried Albris with no luck. My sister was born in 1973 so the book had to predate that.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amilia
Member # 8912

- posted      Profile for Amilia   Email Amilia         Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't have any luck either. The pickings on NoveList are pretty slim for children's books written before 1990. I'll keep looking.
Posts: 364 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks. [Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Will this help?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

or maybe this?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Neat idea, Kwea. I'll email my mother and ask her if she knows it; she has a nearly-encyclopedic knowledge of kids books from the late 60s and early 70s, so there's a decent chance that she'll be able to help.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
No dice. Sorry Kwea.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks for trying. [Frown]

I didn't see it on the hippo list, so perhaps I will try the Book Stumper's site.

I will also call and ask my mom right now. I wanted it to be a surprise, but it can't hurt to ask. I am completely out of ideas otherwise.

Kwea
Member # 2199

No luck all?

Hatrack has let me down. ;(

Jeni
Member # 1454

- posted      Profile for Jeni   Email Jeni         Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0060285745/002-2043490-5659258?v=glance&n=283155 ?
Posts: 4292 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Nope....but that is something I had not found. That gives me hope that there are others. My google-fu is pretty good, just ask Icky, but no dice on this so far.

The Hippo's were at the Zoo, and baby hippo was worried about momma hippo being gone. When she came back she had another baby.

My mom didn't know the title, but she has a friend who thinks she might be able to find it, and is looking for it for us.

CoriSCapnSkip
Member # 9153

- posted      Profile for CoriSCapnSkip   Email CoriSCapnSkip         Edit/Delete Post 
Try here. http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom You will have to register on the community forum, but be sure you post to the Booksleuth forum and use a distinctive subject header.

There is also a Usenet group, rec.arts.books.childrens, accessible through Google Groups, but it's pretty heavily overrun with trolls. The good folks at the Abe forums know just about everything and are extremely helpful.

Posts: 91 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
VelourMan
Member # 8524

- posted      Profile for VelourMan   Email VelourMan         Edit/Delete Post 
It's behind your couch, next to the sock.
Posts: 10 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by VelourMan:
It's behind your couch, next to the sock.

that would be funny if it was true. [Smile]

nice to see you back at hatcrack, VM!

Kwea
Member # 2199

quote:
Originally posted by CoriSCapnSkip:
Try here. http://forums.abebooks.com/abesleuthcom You will have to register on the community forum, but be sure you post to the Booksleuth forum and use a distinctive subject header.

There is also a Usenet group, rec.arts.books.childrens, accessible through Google Groups, but it's pretty heavily overrun with trolls. The good folks at the Abe forums know just about everything and are extremely helpful.

I will try that when I get home. Right now I am posting at work, on a small pda screen, while on lunch. It would take too long and be too much of a pain right now. [Wink]
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Little Hippo and the New Baby?

I guess it sounds a little too recent, but the description is very similar.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

Nope...it wasn't a boardbook with flaps.

It looks really close to it though, it might be a new version of it.

Even if I can't find that ( [Frown] ) specific book I really like the idea. My mom got a little emotional about it too, saying she had a bad day the day before, missing her kids and grandkids. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

OK...posted on Booksleuth. [Big Grin]
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

I sure hope someone out there can figure it out for you. I actually spent a good portion of the day yesterday trying ever bit of google-fu I had, but never got a match to anything much that matched your description.
FG

Kwea
Member # 2199

Thanks for tryign.

Finding this book means more to me than ti would to Logan, I am sure. Any "sisters" book will do, I am sure.

But it would sure be nice to get THAT one. [Big Grin]

Kwea
Member # 2199

No luck so far. [Frown]
Kwea
Member # 2199

Booksleuth might have a match for me, but we are still researching it. [Big Grin]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.