FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » *cries* People pointed a gun at my boyfriend (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: *cries* People pointed a gun at my boyfriend
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
I just hope their next victims are as well adjusted. Perhaps the harm they do will be limited in that manner.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

- posted      Profile for Jim-Me   Email Jim-Me         Edit/Delete Post 
Tell me BC, when you go out on the town, where is your gun and in what state when you pull into a parking spot? One hand on the wheel... one hand on the shift lever... right foot on the brake... I'm guessing you aim and shoot with your left foot?
Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

- posted      Profile for Rakeesh   Email Rakeesh         Edit/Delete Post 
He could drive a British automobile.
Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the military training Jim-Me. Don't you know you've gotta qualify at 100 meters with your left toe pulling the trigger?
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

That is my business, it is very rude to ask a citizens how he is armed, however I would not have been surprised because it is something that I have anticipated and prepared for.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
just_me
Member # 3302

- posted      Profile for just_me           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
That is my business, it is very rude to ask a citizens how he is armed,
BC, can you explain this to me. Why is it rude? I can think of lots of situations where I'd ask someone who I thought might have a weapon if they did... like before I let them into my car/home/place of business.

The right to bear arms (and even a concealed carry permit) does not in any way override my right to know you have a weapon in some cases.

That aside we're here having a discussion that is, unfortunately, related to carrying weapons (it’s unfortunate because this isn’t the appropriate thread to be having this discussion but your inappropriate posts and tone on the other page have dragged us into it). You've said that if a gun was carried the situation would have been different. Well, I think it's only fair to ask then how you arm yourself.

I have a good friend who's an avid hunter. He keeps his shotgun under his bed. When talking about whether the gun provides him protection (as we are now) it's completely appropriate to ask if he keeps it loaded etc. (in fact he doesn't because he's "not stupid"... if you ask him he says that sure he'll use the gun for protection if there is an intruder - a shotgun makes a halfway decent club!).

Posts: 409 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
What about asking the size of your gun? Is that rude too? Maybe you're just embarassed because you have a small one.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm starting to feel like an inadequate father . . . you know, because I'm not armed. I think I'll buy a few guns and set them up in strategic locations throughout my house and car, so that I can never be caught by surprise. Let's see . . . pointing at the front door . . . the garage . . . the kids' bedrooms . . . . the fridge . . .
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
. . . the fridge . . .

You really have to watch out for that Hamburgler.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
Icarus: You should do more than just point a gun at your refrigerator. I hear that Iran's been building weapons of mass destruction in there (or the rotten cheese is about to hit critical mass). Blow it up!
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

What, you go about life expecting to be assaulted and threatened at gunpoint?

Explains why you're such a freaking jerk all the time, I suppose. Or it would, if you weren't lying that is. No one maintains that level of alert readiness 24/7/365. No, this is another of your typical braggadocio.

I've known many gun owners in my life, and never once have any of them taken offense when I asked, "So what sort of firearms do you own?" So, you may well be offended and deem it rude, but it is certainly not deemed generally rude as you are implying. Another feeble lie, even more obviously feeble than the frequent times you've insisted that Arabs are inferior human beings, or that Islam demands the conquest and subjugation of all other peoples.

Posts: 17164 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Ok, then a genuine warning to you (this is sincere and not snarky):

You are grossly overconfident and could be in some damned serious trouble. I genuinely hope you are never in this situation because you and the people with you are in danger from your apparent inability to believe that someone could get the drop on you while both hands and one foot are engaged in tasks.

And I will here ask you to note that I never asked "how" you were armed, I asked how you expected to use any (potentially hypothetical) gun (which you have been boasting about and deriding others about not using) while parking a car.

And, of course, the idea that I was rude for asking this but not rude in my first post is really ludicrous.

The idea that it's rude to ask someone how they were armed but not rude to mock a victim of violent crime for not being armed... well that just defies comment.

Edit to add: What is it you did/do in Iraq again? I cannot imagine anyone who has been in conbat/contact with guerillas/terrorists taking your casual attitude towards the idea of being ambushed.

Posts: 3846 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Bean Counter,

quote:
...however I would not have been surprised because it is something that I have anticipated and prepared for.
Perhaps I'm missing something you've picked up on during your lengthy combat-infantry experience, but could you explain to me...if someon can 'prepare and anticipate' for an ambush, why do so many soldiers throughout the world spend so much time attempting to achieve the element of surprise?

Even combat veterans in combat zones have their reaction times and ability to respond degraded at least a little bit when ambushed. That's the freaking point! So I'd be very interested to hear what you know that all of them don't, that you can mentally and physically 'prepare and anticipate' for an ambush.

Seriously, you could be the world's next tactical genius!

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

That is the point exactly, why would I publicly describe preparations against a personal attack and render them null? It is rude to pry into someone else's security matters in public.

If you want to start a thread on general security preparations, on where to get a fast safe for a handgun to keep it loaded and accessible but away from kids, or what kind of gun to buy your spouse and where to practice with it we can start a separate thread. It would not hurt to hear everyones preparations along these lines.

As for why prepare for a common mugging or car jacking, well it is common isn't it? I mean I have donor card in case I die and someone can use my Liver, I have a Will for my possessions and statement that I do not want to be artificially sustained in a persistent vegetative state. If I prepare for those things why not prepare for the other?

A commando raid against my house using assault weapons and gas grenades would surely take me out, I have a few friends that are prepared even for that but I haven't the property or time. However a common bully with a gun? Please, only a fool has not prepared himself and his spouse for what to expect to do in case of that...

BC

Fyfe
Member # 937

- posted      Profile for Fyfe   Email Fyfe         Edit/Delete Post 
BC, darling, can I ask you what you would have done if you had been sitting in a car and someone had pointed a gun directly at your face that would have indicated your superior level of preparedness?

Steve and I were "prepared for what to expect to do", i.e., comply and act very polite. Our M.O. when confronted with three skittish armed persons pointing a gun straight at us is rather less centered on escalating the situation than on staying, you know, alive, and getting away from the skittish armed persons as quickly as possible. So we agreed with everything they said while doing the safest things we knew to do (except stupid stupid stupid the stupid damn purse), and the end result is that no one was hurt and they got away with virtually nothing.

Jen

To the sane sector of Hatrack: I know I should not allow trolly BC to annoy me, but I do not appreciate the implied slights on my beloved. There is no one I would rather be held up with. (Except maybe River Tam.)

Posts: 910 | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Please, only a fool would risk the life of himself and his spouse in case of that...
Fixed that for you. I can't believe you actually are worried that a potential mugger might read about your security preparations in this thread, and thus be able to circumvent them.

The more I read your posts, the more I'm convinced you really are what you appear to be -- an idiot.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Took you that long, huh? [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

I still want to know how you plan to simultaneously use a gun and park your car... or is that the big secret that you don't want any potential mugger to know?
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Telekinesis.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh! I just realized the problem. BC forgot to mention that he drives KITT.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Jim-Me...BC is being rude as usual, and I don't agree with anything he's said in this thread.

However, I think I can answer your question. I know someone that used to drive with his handgun wedged between the drivers seat at the rest of the split bench seat. He drove an automatic. He could steer with the left hand while the right hand removed the gun from its spot.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jim-Me
Member # 6426

Parking is more involved than driving-- your attention is divided and there is an excellent chance that someone can wait till you are occupied and point a gun at your head. If you aren't looking right at them, with a gun locked, loaded, and at the ready when they do this, they will have the drop on you. Going for a gun at this point will get you, and likely anyone with you, killed.

Edit: let's be clear, here. A gun will help you when a group of thugs with knives and pipes corners you. A gun will help you in a variety of other situations. A gun is *excellent* for helping someone else who is in trouble. But when someone ambushes you a gun is no help at all, unless is it out, locked, and loaded with the safety off. Otherwise, if the person drawing down on you is any kind of a shot, you will be dead before your hand closes around the grip.

And if you have your gun out, locked, and loaded with the safety off before they have threatened you, you have now justified their use of deadly force to defend themselves, as well as commiting assault with a deadly weapon yourself.

BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

I'm not saying its the smart or practical thing to do. BC would have nothing for contempt for me since if I were in the situation I too would hand over all my money without a fight.

I just wanted to answer your question as to how you could have a gun right there at the ready while parking.

Edit: I agree with your assessment that probably all it would get you in that situation is killed.

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
To say nothing that if you had drawn a weapon and forced them to kill you, they'd be forced to kill Fyfe as well -- or worse, commit crimes on a level they before weren't prepared to do. If you'd drawn, you would have endangered her as well.

I don't know what I'd do in the same situation, but I'd sure as hell hand over my wallet to avoid any harm to my girlfriend. Nothing's worth that.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

I take my responsibilities seriously, included in them is what I owe society, I went all the way to Europe and the Middle East to place my life between scum and the people I care for, why in Heavens name would I not do the same here? Maybe it would be my Dad next, or my mom, or my sister, it will surely be somebodies dad mom or sister.

In general, prepare for a distraction, draw attention from your attack, be ready to throw the seat back or hit the gas, keep your gun in reach and shoot to kill.

A gun as close to my face as you say, from a seated position, I would do any of the above, outside the car, I would move offline, cover the weapon and turn it on the attacker. I would draw fire until my wife was in a position to start killing them. Dead.

You do not capture rats in your house and release them in your neighbors. Plus if they are dead I get to tell the story my way without all the other versions to make it complex in court.

BC

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
In my firearm safety course in FL, the instructor sort of went off the record for a moment to talk about situations in which you actually use your gun for deadly force against another human. The rule is, basically, make sure the bad guys aren't alive at the end of the encounter. That way there is only one story to tell. If it is reasonably plausible, they are less likely to bother with a detailed forensic investigation that would land you in jail.

But...that's Florida. YMMV.

In NYC, defending yourself opens you to all sorts of civil and criminal "liability." Anyone remember Bernard Goetz? Kids attacked him with screwdrivers (iirc) and he killed one of them. He was in trouble for years.

The biggest problems I have with handguns around basically relate to statistics on causes of accidental death in the US. Also, many of the people I know who carry guns are not what I would call stable or reasonable. That's not true across the board, of course, I know some people who are both well-trained and level headed. But the people I know who talk about their gun and how important personal protection is usually fall into various classes that I consider dangerous and likely to end up as statistics. In particular:

- macho types who think that the man's honor is on the line every time they step out publicly.

- men who who talk a lot about the man's role in protecting women.

- guys who get excited about the idea of turning their home into a fortified stronghold.

- people who harbor deep-seated racial/religious prejudices.

- various hot heads who tend to think that violence is a good early option in any conflict.

Now, let me just say that I have been around military folk for the past 1/3 of my life in a professional capacity. And I have many ex-military folk as friends. I know some of them who are cool, level-headed and not at all of concern regarding their ability to manage firearms in their home and on their person responsibly. These are the people who, if I ever even found out they have a gun on their person, I feel safer in their presence because I know whatever situation comes up they have both the training and the intellect and instincts to handle it well.

I know a great many law enforcement people too and most would fall into that same category.

Then, there are the people who, knowing they are armed, makes me feel like something bad is always just around the corner waiting for us all to become involved in some stupid macho BS. These are the guys (usually its guys) who live for the day they get to draw on someone and shoot them. They have fantasies of being able to "take out" a bad guy and have it all be nice and legal. They wish for it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
- macho types who think that the man's honor is on the line every time they step out publicly.
Hehe. This type of paranoia leads to all sorts of hilarious encounters.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

quote:
macho types who think that the man's honor is on the line every time they step out publicly.

- men who who talk a lot about the man's role in protecting women.

- guys who get excited about the idea of turning their home into a fortified stronghold.

- people who harbor deep-seated racial/religious prejudices.

- various hot heads who tend to think that violence is a good early option in any conflict.

In other words the entire population of every school, town, workplace and military unit I have been in, the Salt of the Earth Rednecks who won the last election by two million votes. Good Guys!

BC

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

quote:
Originally posted by Bean Counter:
A gun as close to my face as you say, from a seated position, I would do any of the above

And the second you flinched I would be emptying my magazine at you, assuming I was the one holding the gun on you. If you feel confident that no one important would get hit in this exchange, I will not be getting in a car with you.

quote:
outside the car, I would move offline, cover the weapon and turn it on the attacker.
Assuming they are stupid enough to get within your reach while wielding a ranged weapon (and they might be, but betting on it is foolish, you'd better have that nifty little move just right. I've practiced it and it's plenty doable, but one mistake means your life, and, again, likely that of your companions. If that doesn't concern you, well, again, we won't be hanging out.

quote:
I would draw fire until my wife was in a position to start killing them. Dead.
Again, extraordinarily dangerous and risky for both of you, and that's *presuming* it goes according to your plan... and I'm sure you know what Murphy had to say about plans and contact with the enemy.

Edit: and Bean Counter, I don't know a single military person who is like the people Bob described, but I know many who have a healthy disrespect for cowboys. I'm expecting you to say "yippe-cay-yea mother$#@%%!" any second now.

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
I know someone who taught their 4 year old to shoot and allowed her to carry a gun because they lived on a ranch 200 miles from nowhere, and she needed to be able to protect herself just walking out of the house. She could also ride a horse on her own for hours.

Plus since they had guns in the house teaching her to respect the guns made her safer. She's now alive and well and in her 20s so I don't think she's any worse for the wear.

But it gave me pause for thought when I found out that was what they'd done.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
Originally posted by Jim-Me:
Edit: and Bean Counter, I don't know a single military person who is like the people Bob described, but I know many who have a healthy disrespect for cowboys. I'm expecting you to say "yippe-cay-yea mother$#@%%!" any second now.

Seconded. My brother was a master-at-arms in the Navy, and when he heard I was planning to go live alone in the woods for a month or two (long story), he insisted I take a weapon with me for safety. He then very, very carefully disassembled a gun, showed me how to clean it and put it together, and handed it to me. I held it casually, pointed toward his leg -- and he reclaimed it and gave me a lecture on the dangers of pointing even an unloaded weapon.

Nobody has more respect for their weapons than military guys. My brother doesn't draw unless he already means for his target to be dead, and he doesn't talk smack about what a tough guy he is. Because, well, he doesn't need to. Conversely, I applied for a job at a redneck outdoors store, and... wow. I've never seen anyone enjoy stroking and aiming guns more. Family Guy didn't know how right it was when it aired the episode when Peter buys a gun to compensate for his small penis.

I can understand the sentiment to attack -- and if they'd started molesting my girlfriend, I might have forced them to kill me -- but that's a last resort option, when I already know they're going to kill or rape her. You seem to be advocating drawing a gun so you don't need to hand over your wallet, and that's insane -- I value my girlfriend's life FAR more than whatever I carry around. I'm surprised you would so willingly risk her life for your money.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

In places where demanding a wallet and feel from a couple can cost you your life, few go into the business or hobby.

BC

Lalo
Member # 3772

quote:
Originally posted by Bob_Scopatz:
In NYC, defending yourself opens you to all sorts of civil and criminal "liability." Anyone remember Bernard Goetz? Kids attacked him with screwdrivers (iirc) and he killed one of them. He was in trouble for years.

This sounded interesting, so I looked it up -- and it doesn't seem that cut and dry.

quote:
In the early afternoon of December 22, 1984, four young black men, Barry Allen 19, Troy Canty 19, James Ramseur 18, and Darrell Cabey 19, boarded a downtown #2 express train purportedly on a mission to steal money from video arcade machines in Manhattan.

Goetz entered the same #2 train car at the 14th street station and sat down near the four young men. According to Goetz's statement to police, approximately ten seconds later Canty asked him, "How are you?" Goetz responded that he was "fine". According to Goetz, the four men gave signals to each other, and shortly thereafter Canty and Allen rose from their seats and went over to the left of Goetz, blocking Goetz off from the other passengers in the car. Canty then said to Goetz, "Give me five dollars." According to the young men's testimony, Canty was panhandling, although eyewitness testimony given at Goetz's criminal trial generally agreed that the four men were aggressive and threatening. Goetz told police that he thought from the smile on Canty's face that they wanted to "play with me," and he decided on a "pattern of fire" that he would use to shoot them. Goetz, pretending not to hear them, asked Canty, "What did you say?" Canty calmly repeated, "Give me five dollars." Goetz admitted to police that he "snapped" and that his intention at that point was to "murder them, to hurt them, to make them suffer as much as possible." At the criminal trial, Goetz's defense attorney, Barry Slotnick, claimed that this and other extreme statements by Goetz were the product of an overactive imagination.

After the second demand or request for money, Goetz rose from his seat, and from beneath his blue windbreaker he fast-drew his .38 caliber five-shot Smith & Wesson revolver and fired five shots with speed shooting. (Speed shooting is a very fast technique, primarily effective at close range, where the shooter initiates trigger pull prior to the sights being aligned on the target.) In media interviews, Goetz, who had prior firearms and target-shooting experience, described how he discharged all five rounds extraordinarily quickly within 1.5 to 1.6 seconds. The first hit Canty in the center of the chest; the second shot struck Allen in his back and came out his arm; the third shot hit the subway wall just in front of Cabey; the fourth shot hit Cabey in the left side, severing his spinal cord and rendering him paraplegic; the fifth shot went through Ramseur's arm and lodged itself in his left side. Goetz then immediately looked at the first two men to make sure they were "taken care of." Goetz then saw Cabey moving on the bench and confessed to approaching Cabey and saying, "You don't look too bad; here's another," and then attempted to shoot Cabey again in the stomach, with an empty gun. (For more clarification see "Explanation for 70.198.45.81" in the Discussion section.) Cabey, who was briefly standing prior to the shooting, was sitting on the subway seat during all attempted shots. In his subsequent police statement, Goetz explained, "if I had had more [bullets], I would have shot them again, and again, and again." All four men survived, though Cabey was permanently paralyzed and suffered brain damage as a result of the bullet that severed his spine.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After the incident, rumors spread that Goetz was threatened with sharpened screwdrivers. This rumor was published as fact by some newspapers; however, neither Goetz nor the young men made any such claim. In fact, Goetz expressed a belief that none of the young men were armed during his subsequent statement to the police. Paramedics and police did find a total of four unsharpened screwdrivers on two of the men, which they explained were to be used to break into change boxes. Goetz's confession of shooting Cabey twice, first in the left side and later in the stomach, and Goetz's use of the phrase "You don't look too bad; here's another" was made public by the DA prior to the second grand jury. This was reported as fact in the media for 18 months up to the time of the criminal trial, when Cabey's medical records were released indicating he was shot once in the left side.

James Ramseur and Barry Allen have committed serious crimes since the original incident. Soon after being released from the hospital for the treatment of his gunshot wound, James Ramseur committed another crime with an associate: he was later convicted of raping, sodomizing, beating and robbing a pregnant nineteen year old woman on a building rooftop in the Bronx, and in 1986 was sentenced to 8 1/3 to 25 years in prison. Barry Allen committed two muggings after the shooting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Goetz

They didn't have screwdrivers, apparently -- and while they may have threatened him with tone or body language, it doesn't seem that they were openly violent before he opened fire.

That said, given that last bit, I weep no tears for these bastards. Goetz had been mugged twice before and sustained injuries, and with the high crime rate of NYC back in the eighties, this seems more than understandable. I just wish he'd killed Ramseur, too.

I hate gangsters.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Talk about not learning a lesson...
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rakeesh
Member # 2001

Bean Counter,

quote:
That is the point exactly, why would I publicly describe preparations against a personal attack and render them null? It is rude to pry into someone else's security matters in public.
Right, because potential thieves and muggers are reading this forum to try and learn what people in general and you in particular have planned for them.

Are we supposed to take that seriously? I've heard more inventive lies from people not out of kindergarten yet. Or, if it's 'publicity' you're worried about, email me. I'd love to hear your plans, and the chance that I will track you down, exploit any vulnerabilities in them to harm you is vanishingly small.

Or could it be you just don't want them to be picked apart as utter horse crap?

quote:
In general, prepare for a distraction, draw attention from your attack, be ready to throw the seat back or hit the gas, keep your gun in reach and shoot to kill.
We all applaud your personal bravery exemplified in your willingness to expose these general plans to the enemy. It takes a brave, brave man-nay, a hero-to act so boldly at risk to himself to help others. God bless you, sir.

1. Prepare for a distraction: How, exactly? Or even how generally? Do you review with your wife (or yourself, if you're alone) your daily itinerary, and plan distractions for each? That'd be interesting. It's a wonder you'd ever make it out of the house to be able to prepare for a distraction.

2. Draw attention from your attack: What do you say? "Omigod! A cop is behind you!" Or, "Hey, a big sack of money!" or, "Naked sexy ladies right behind you!" to 'draw attention' away from your attack?

Ignoring the fact that many petty thugs who rob at gunpoint are so ill-prepared, frightened, and jumpy-needless to say potentially intoxicated-that they'll pull that trigger in you or your wife's direction, thus incurring a high probability of wounding or killing one or both of you.

How on Earth do you plan in advance for the way someone who is intoxicated on some drug will react to any given stimuli? I suppose in addition to your superior-to-special-forces tactical training and marksmanship, you're also an expert in the psychology of drug addicts?

3. Be ready to throw the seat back or hit the gas: Hitting the gas might work. Maybe. Throwing the seat back? Wonderful. So then the frightened, jumpy, potentially trigger-happy assailant pulls on that trigger as soon as you beginn to disappear downward from view...and who's he gonna hit? That's right, hero. The little wifey. To say nothing of whether or not there are two of them, on each side of the car. I'm sure you have a plan for that too, hero.

4. Keep your gun in reach and shoot to kill: Yes, because as every driving instructor knows, it's generally safe to drive with only one hand on the steering wheel. But maybe your wife can keep the (second) firearm in the vehicle in arm's reach-and isn't that illegal in some states?-and be ready to shoot to kill when you *SURPRISE!* pull the seat back! Ninja!

Shoot to kill, well, that's the first thing you've said in this entire thread that doesn't scream, "I have never been either a soldier or a police officer in my life."

As for what happens if you're both out of your car...

Yeah, the assailant is just going to let you disappear from view. What'll you do, throw down a Batman smoke bomb? Teleport like Nightcrawler? Move like Superman? How, exactly, will you disappear from line-of-sight faster than your trigger-happy assailant can apply the few pounds of pressure necessary to pull the trigger, firing the weapon?

Well, I'm sure your amazing plans can withstand these objections. But tell me this? What happens when there are multiple firearm-wielding assailants?

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

You know, I let myself get distracted here.

I'm going to concede one thing, BC. Your strategies have a reasonable chance of success. I'd say as high as 60%, in some scenarios, that you and your companions survive (naturally depending on many things, including the mugger's willingness and ability to shoot). They aren't bad responses to someone you know is intent on shooting you.

But if you can keep them from shooting at you, your chances of survival are 100%. Compared to that, 60% is stupid.

But I want back up a second.

I don't care if you are the living incarnation of Jack Bauer, Neo, and Mr. Miyagi, capable of killing all the bad guys while stopping all of their bullets and then magically repairing the charlie horse your wife got diving out of the way. You are still a classless idiot for taunting the victims of an armed assault for not being as badass as you are.

You were given your uniform for a reason... not to remind you of how superior you are to everyone else because your country painted you green and put a rifle in your hand, but to remind you that you have a debt of honor to those who have sacrificed before you. You are supposed to be a military professional, but you seem to prefer to act like the kid in "Christmas Story" spinning fantasies about driving off thieves with your Red Ryder. But, not content with that, you actually denigrate and bully a pair of victims...victims! the people you are so proud of being there to protect! ...for not having your 1337 Deagle 5ki11z. So way to go. Put on your uniform, wrap yourself in the US flag, and then behave like a total jackass. Disgrace and desecrate everything you are supposed to stand for. You should be ashamed of yourself. If I were your DI (or whatever they call it in the Army), I would be ashamed to have graduated someone with your punk attitude from my basic training and have you in my Army.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
Jen, I'm glad you and your boyfriend are alright. I have been robbed twice at gunpoint and it was terrible. Don't beat yourself up about kicking your purse under the car, you didn't have time to think about it.

The single most clueless, classless, and rudest thing I have ever seen on a forum: offering to fix up the victim of a robbery with a real man.
quote:
Originally posted by Bean Counter:
I can give you a list of some guys who do have carry permits and won't let their date get felt up without a fight until you can get a permit and a handgun of your own. What State are you in?
BC

Congrats, BC! What will you do for an encore? And then you call someone else rude on the same thread? Grow up. [Wall Bash]
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bean Counter
Member # 6001

Whoa... I never claimed to be the best shot or martial artist or any of these things, who was attacking these people? Al Queada? The Green Hornet? They where punks who committed robbery for less then five dollars and went away happy. They are way up on the better dead list. As for blaming the victims, well that depends on them doesn't it?

Someone here mentioned being mugged three times? That's a hobby! You are a sheep that looks forward to being sheared. At the very least exercise some situational awareness and get some home protection. You do not need a carry permit to have a gun at home.

As I have said before I do not count my life to be of more value then my responsibilities, if I have to take a bullet for my wife to avoid being raped, even if it is just to give her time to get over being stunned and remember her gun, I have already answered that question for myself.

That is the only thing that makes a soldier or cop or EMT fast in a crisis, they do the mental gymnastics in training and preparation.

I have a particular dislike for this type of thug, I would not open fire trespasser or a bicycle thief. A mugger deserves a bullet.

If a man came to me and said he was hungry, as has happened a dozen times, then I would give him food or money, I have given men and women and children shoes, rides, meals and my personal protection at considerably more cost to myself then five dollars when asked, when they needed it. That in no way changes the fact that I would kill a man who stuck a gun in my face to empty the change out of my pocket.

BC

Jim-Me
Member # 6426

You can crow all you want about your "sacrifices", your behavior clearly shows that this is just garbage you tell yourself to feed your ego. You had made it abundantly clear that you have nothing but contempt for victims, long before you reiterated it with that post, so the only things left to motivate you are gloryhounding and bloodlust. From your attitude, I'd say gloryhounding is more your thing, but you've been plenty hateful, too, so I don't discount the power trip that being allowed and justified in killing someone must be to you.

Either way your behavior and attitude in this thread has been vile, contemptible, and a disgrace to the US Army.

Of course you don't care about that. You don't care that you are completely reinforcing and even justifying the beliefs of those who would undermine the war effort by painting all US soldiers as a bunch of power hungry, glory-seeking, bloodthirsty reavers looking for an excuse to knock someone off. You don't care about the damage you are doing to the reputation of the Army for everyone that reads your crap. All you care about is crowing about what a hero you are at the top of your lungs.

In case you haven't noticed, the reason I'm coming down so hard on you is that I'm embarassed at the idea of being in the same DoD as you. Allow me to remind you:
quote:
You were given your uniform for a reason... not to remind you of how superior you are to everyone else because your country painted you green and put a rifle in your hand, but to remind you that you have a debt of honor to those who have sacrificed before you. You are supposed to be a military professional, but you seem to prefer to act like the kid in "Christmas Story" spinning fantasies about driving off thieves with your Red Ryder. But, not content with that, you actually denigrate and bully a pair of victims...victims! the people you are so proud of being there to protect! ...for not having your 1337 Deagle 5ki11z. So way to go. Put on your uniform, wrap yourself in the US flag, and then behave like a total jackass. Disgrace and desecrate everything you are supposed to stand for. You should be ashamed of yourself. If I were your DI (or whatever they call it in the Army), I would be ashamed to have graduated someone with your punk attitude from my basic training and have you in my Army.

Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
BC, why don't you exercise some of your alleged "situational awareness" and point out who said they were mugged 3 times on this thread, because I can't find it.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Papa Janitor
Member # 7795

- posted      Profile for Papa Janitor           Edit/Delete Post 
Jen, I'm sorry both for what happened to you and for what happened to your thread.

--PJ

Posts: 441 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.