FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Lebanon Says it Will Send Troops to Fight Israel if Situation Continues

Author Topic: Lebanon Says it Will Send Troops to Fight Israel if Situation Continues
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have a news link, I just saw it on the CBS nightly news, but I imagine we'll be hearing more about it soon, especially since Israel shows no signs of leaving any time soon.

Lebanon's military isn't in the best situation, and I have little doubt they'd be rolled over by the IDF, but they could inflict some pain, and it might entice Syria into the war (doubtful). Their air force is almost non-existant, their mechanized forces are way out of date, but they could have a lot of men, and Hezbollah would likely welcome them.

I wonder what effect this will have on Israel (likely none), or anywhere else in the world.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Szymon
Member # 7103

- posted      Profile for Szymon   Email Szymon         Edit/Delete Post 
only negative. What other effect can war have?
Posts: 723 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

only negative. What other effect can war have?

Dunno. I guess we shouldn't have invaded Germany then.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architraz Warden
Member # 4285

- posted      Profile for Architraz Warden   Email Architraz Warden         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly enough, wasn't Isreal WANTING Lebanon's army to move into the southern portion of the country?

Granted, I don't think the intent was to fight them there, but it still gets them to the location they wanted.

Posts: 1368 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Bad idea. Baaaaaaaad idea. I suspect they want to threaten Israel with the possibility of enraging their neighbors.

I hope they're bluffing. Nations that choose to fight Israel generally regret that decision. All this says to the world is that "we can't police our borderlands, but we are perfectly willing to resist one of the most well-armed, well-trained, combat-capable military forces in the world."

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Israel wanted Lebanon's army to move into the south of Lebanon to fight Hezbollah, not to join forces with it, which might just be the case, especially with Israel hinting at a full scale invasion of Lebanon.

I think this time around though, the other Arab nations are mostly going to sit this one out.

I don't think however, that Israel is prepared for a long haul occupation, making a full scale invasion very risky if they have any intention of staying. The people in that part of the world that like to fight occupying forces learned all they needed to from Iraq.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
I don't think however, that Israel is prepared for a long haul occupation, making a full scale invasion very risky if they have any intention of staying.
I think part of the risk in any type of invasion is that you eventually must leave -- and if any of the resistance survives, there is the possibility that the resistance will become popularlized as the ones who "defeated" a foreign occupier.

As I understand it, while Israel has sent troops into Lebanon, they have no intention of taking territory; rather, they go in, they fight, they move on or get out quickly.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think part of the risk in any type of invasion is that you eventually must leave
Not if you're building an empire.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dantesparadigm
Member # 8756

- posted      Profile for dantesparadigm           Edit/Delete Post 
Lebanon’s government is in a difficult situation here; they can’t directly engage Hezbollah, because they would risk angering the radical Muslim element and losing control of the country. They also can’t ignore any land based Israeli offensive because that would anger the radical Muslims and they could lose control of the government. The only thing worse than Hamas controlling Palestine’s government would be Hezbollah controlling Lebanon’s.

That being said, I doubt the Lebanese military will have much of an affect on the Israelis unless they resort to guerilla action, and I can’t see a motivation for that unless Israel decides to re-occupy Southern Lebanon.

Posts: 959 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
Most Arab nations have expressed disgust with Hezbollah for stirring things up. The only nation that might actually send in troops (besides Lebanon, which hardly counts) is Syria. Israel must hold back some of its forces, mainly armor, to guard against a possible flanking attack by Syria, which has lots of armor.
Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
I think part of the risk in any type of invasion is that you eventually must leave
Not if you're building an empire.
True, but that has become less common as time goes on.

--j_k who edited this for grammar

Bean Counter
Member # 6001

- posted      Profile for Bean Counter           Edit/Delete Post 
Armor without Air Power is a waste of money. Tanks are just expensive coffins without air cover.

BC

Posts: 1249 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
And, ye gods, according to the Wiki they are mainly armed with ancient Soviet T-55s. I suppose they have the advantage of being cheap coffins, but I don't see them making much of an impression on Merkavas. What can they be thinking?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

They just want to start a war so that some desperate fool will create the philosopher's stone...damn humunculus.
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Merkavas
Wait, the Israelis call their tanks Merkavas?

[ROFL]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] Yeah. Very classy, eh?

Edit: IIRC, Merkava is the Hebrew word for the chariots that were used to pull the kings and royalty around in ancient times.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup. Like the chariots of Pharaoh, or the chariot in Ezekiel's vision. (In fact, the prophecy is referred to as "ma'aseh merkava" -- the incident with the chariot.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

quote:
Originally posted by Phanto:
They just want to start a war so that some desperate fool will create the philosopher's stone...damn humunculus.

The Israelis have State Alchemists working for them?

Hezbollah is really in trouble.

Phanto
Member # 5897

Yes...I hear that they've started using the red water to create an inferior stone... That's what really was behind the "23" ton bombing of the bunker. Expect to see a lot more of those.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.