FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Every time I do cardio...

Author Topic: Every time I do cardio...
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
...the pressure in my head builds up. Like when you're on an airplane. I can sort of relieve it by yawning, but it builds back up again really quickly. It builds up a LOT faster breathing through my nose - like, one inhale and my head feels like it's going to explode.

I can get off the stair stepper and go do heavy lifting and it doesn't happen, but the second I go back onto a cardio machine, it happens again.

Anyone have any clues? It's driving me NUTS.

More information: my heart rate is usually about 160 bpm while I'm working out, I'm usually well hydrated, I'm 6' tall and weigh between 150 and 165 depending on how my metabolism is acting that particular day, the gym is kept cool and well ventilated so I don't think it's a heat problem.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow....that's concerning. I'm not one of those "go to the doctor everytime you cough" type of people (in fact I've been twice in my life), but I would seriously check with a doctor before doing any more cardio.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bao, you've been to a doctor twice in your entire life? That's unusual; were you raised Christian Scientist or something?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
[Frown] That's my thought as well. I've been looking online for answers since it started happening about 10 days ago, but nothing. I haven't tried to do any cardio since then, and I don't think I will until I have a definitive answer.

Unfortunately, I won't be seeing a doctor, either, until my new insurance plan takes effect. Stupid paperwork.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

How soon until your insurance kicks in? Definitely wise to hold off in the meantime, I'd say.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

Probably about a month. Maybe sooner, but I'm not holding my breath; it was supposed to happen two months ago, and still hasn't.

Being uncovered for the first time in my life is scary.

Noemon
Member # 1115

Yeah, not having coverage sucks, no two ways about it. Here's hoping that the process completes soon and you're covered again.

So does the pressue build up when you're doing normal activities that require a bit of aerobic activity--climbing stairs, walking for and length of time, that sort of thing? If you quit the activity causing the pressure, how quickly does the pressure abate?

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
it was supposed to happen two months ago, and still hasn't.

Have you been reminding whomever is responsible for it that you need insurance? Sometimes HR paperwork gets lost in the shuffle...
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Yeah, not having coverage sucks, no two ways about it. Here's hoping that the process completes soon and you're covered again.

So does the pressue build up when you're doing normal activities that require a bit of aerobic activity--climbing stairs, walking for and length of time, that sort of thing? If you quit the activity causing the pressure, how quickly does the pressure abate?

It only seems to occur if I get my heart rate up to cardio-training levels (above 145 or so), so it doesn't happen just climbing stairs, moving stuff around my room, catching up to a bus, etc. It usually dissipates within 15-30 minutes of me stopping cardio.

quote:
Have you been reminding whomever is responsible for it that you need insurance? Sometimes HR paperwork gets lost in the shuffle...
Yeah, I've been following it pretty closely (checking on things at least weekly); it's mostly bungling on Blue Shield's part, which kind of concerns me, but the plan is so excellent and so inexpensive (plus my employer's paying 75%) that I can't really shop around.
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I was raised Mormon, I just don't get sick very often I guess. Bronchitis in the 8th grade was about it for something requiring a doctor visit.

I've been to the emergency room a twice for stitches I guess, and had a physical or two for scout camp, etc, but I was just thinking sickness not injuries.

When I get sick it's always pretty much a viral infection...cold, flu, fevers, etc. I figure, what's the doctor going to do? Tell me to get plenty of rest, drink liquids, lie down? I'll do that myself and save my & my insurance companies money and free up the resources for someone who truly needs it.

Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
Is someone around there that can check your blood pressure prior to workout and during/after to see how much change you're experiencing? Oftentimes at gyms there is someone with enough training to at least do that.

My son (age 20) has an extremely strong heart beat and when he works out you can actually SEE his pulse all through his system -- very rapid and very hard. Lots of pressure, it looks like. It really scared me for awhile, but I've had him checked out and they didn't express any concern.

FG

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
i also understand that the shape/size/location of your sinuses can cause pressure to build up if you're breathing harder. does it make a difference if you don't breath out of your nose?
Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

quote:
Originally posted by b boy:
i also understand that the shape/size/location of your sinuses can cause pressure to build up if you're breathing harder. does it make a difference if you don't breath out of your nose?

Yeah, breathing out of my nose makes the pressure build a LOT faster. The pressure still builds mouth-breathing, though.

Sinus-related problems may make sense.

b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like for some reason, when you breath harder, you're creating a vacuum. and breathing through your mouth doesn't completely by pass your nose unless you breath with your mouth hugely open in and have some way of closing off the back of your throat from your nose. be warned of the dangers of insect inhalation when adopting this method...
Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.