FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » One of the funniest articles I have ever read

Author Topic: One of the funniest articles I have ever read
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
(You'll need bugmenot if you don't already have a NYT password.)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boothby171
Member # 807

- posted      Profile for Boothby171   Email Boothby171         Edit/Delete Post 
Hilarious!

I'll have to try that at home...

Posts: 1862 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CaySedai
Member # 6459

- posted      Profile for CaySedai   Email CaySedai         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how well it would work on kids ... [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 2034 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I was thinking it would be great on two-year-olds. I'm firmly convinced they fall in the "animal" category and they definitely need training!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
That was funny....and didn't need a password. [Big Grin]
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to get my girlfriend to try those on me. I can just imagine all the treats I'll be getting!
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really brilliant. I'm going to try it at home. It sounds like a good solution to a specific problem I've been trying to fix with little success.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xnera
Member # 187

- posted      Profile for xnera   Email xnera         Edit/Delete Post 
Clicker training for spouses! *giggles*
Posts: 1805 | Registered: Jun 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
xnera: you're exactly right. The basic principle behind clicker training and what this article is about is Positive Reinforcement.

There's a great book called "Don't Shoot the Dog" by Karen Pryor that will change the way you deal with people (and pets). I'm almost sure that this is the book the article is referring to.

It can be used on ANYONE. with the exception of infants and severely mentally disabled people.

I used to teach at an afterschool program, it worked great. But I find that you can't do it all using Positive Reinforcement. You have to use a combination of techniques.

Oh, and for most people, you can't make it obvious that you are rewarding them, otherwise it doesn't work. you have to find a reward that they would want from you. So in the case of someone who dislikes you, they aren't going to be rewarded by your praise. The reward in that case might be a step back, or getting out of their face.

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KarlEd
Member # 571

- posted      Profile for KarlEd   Email KarlEd         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
So in the case of someone who dislikes you, they aren't going to be rewarded by your praise. The reward in that case might be a step back, or getting out of their face.
Of course one would hope that this doesn't apply to spouses. I'm sure it does in some cases, but in those cases there are problems way more critical than arguing over lost keys.
Posts: 6394 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
I think there is some value in this article, if I could get past my [Roll Eyes] impulse.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, there's quite a bit of value there. This kind of thing works best on behaviors that spouses (or kids, or friends) don't realize they do.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I think I've been doing this somewhat for a long time -- ever since my sister taught me how to train my basenji with these methods.

Positive reinforcement works really well for certain kinds of childrearing issues. REALLY well.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's might be an urban legend, but supposedly a psychology class teamed up and used positive reinforcement to manipulate their professor. Every time he wrote on one side of the chalkboard, they would give him their rapt attention. And when he wrote on the other side, they would all lose interest and look away. By the end of the class he was scribbling in the corner they tricked him into. I always wanted to try it myself.
Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by xnera:
Clicker training for spouses! *giggles*

Xnera! I haven't seen you here in ages! What have you been up to? Hope your life has been going well.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
I think there is some value in this article, if I could get past my [Roll Eyes] impulse.

Ic, did you read the end, where she pointed out that the techniques worked just as well on her?
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

Yes I did, but I found the very premise that a spouse is a creature to be trained distasteful. I thought less of her for it.

As I said, I recognize some value in the ideas, but I found her delivery off-putting.

I wouldn't presume to "train" my wife.

My children on the other hand . . . .

Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite interesting, Ill have to give it a shot [Razz]
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I seem to remember that there's an entry on Snopes.com where a class trained the professer to stand only on side of the room while teaching.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
[Roll Eyes]
Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
It reminds me of If A Man Answers...
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
I seem to remember that there's an entry on Snopes.com where a class trained the professer to stand only on side of the room while teaching.

--j_k

I'd willingly allow a set of students to "train" me this way . . . because they'd be paying attention!

(As a teacher and a parent, I can tell you that I pretend to fall for a lot of things I can see right through, simply because it works toward my own ends. I know from conversations with others that it is pretty common, actually.)

Evie3217
Member # 5426

- posted      Profile for Evie3217   Email Evie3217         Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting. I think that it can only work when coupled with other techniques, like b boy said. Still, it would be fun to try.
Posts: 1789 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This kind of thing works best on behaviors that spouses (or kids, or friends) don't realize they do.
This would work on me. I have some annoying habits, I get a kick out of pleasing a girlfriend, and I tune out nagging. Actually, I don't suffer nags. I quietly pack my things and walk away, never to return.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.