FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » mass market paper back books

Author Topic: mass market paper back books
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
I just recently purchased "Magic Street" in paperback, at a cost of $14.95 (USD). This is roughly twice the rate as a been of similar length produced as a mass market paper back (MMPB from here on).

Now, I understand that the "mass" adjective of MMPB explains why the price is so much lower. But my question is this: Why do some books only come out in this slightly larger, more expensive form? Is this a decision made by the author? The publishing company? In my experience, most books which AREN'T MMPB can easily fit into a MMPB size, so that's not it. Perhaps it's easier to make a few books of the larger size? Perhaps it's purely for profit?

I'm particularly interested in responses from people who actually know the answers (as opposed to the other 99% of you who, like me, are both a) merely speculating and b) too lazy to google search the real answer), but bonus points may be rewarded for clever or witty responses ;-)

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jexx
Member # 3450

- posted      Profile for jexx   Email jexx         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling that the publishing industry is trying to get the public to *want* the larger (therefore, more expensive) size.

It rankles me. The larger size (aside from being more expensive) is awkward for me to hold and read. I cannot put that size in my back pocket. And hey, I'm out roughly twice the money, to be frankly. Some of the books I read are only *worth* $7.99.

I have a feeling what you have purchased is not a MMPB but a *trade* paperback. There is also a middle size that is the same skinniness as a MMPB, but taller. That is the one that I hate in particular, extremely awkward for me to handle and read.

Posts: 1545 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Magic Street is in the trade paperback format right now. Hot sellers, and cult sellers tend to do that now before going to mass market paperback. I always just wait for the mass market one to come out. There is even now a "premier paperback edition" which just annoys me. I was waiting for ever for the last 3 Dark Tower books to come out in MMPB. The jerks at the publishing company came out with a $9.99 PPB instead. They are slightly taller then a regular MMPB, and thinner (less words on each page).
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I just buy "new" hardcover books at used book stores. You can typically count on a few appearing a couple of weeks after a book comes out at a substantially discounted price. Hardcover books feel more complete to me anyways.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.