FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Newsflash: Landis tests positive for doping

Author Topic: Newsflash: Landis tests positive for doping
Brian J. Hill
Member # 5346

- posted      Profile for Brian J. Hill   Email Brian J. Hill         Edit/Delete Post 
USA Today article

This is only the results of the 1st test, and according to the rules, there must be a positive test on the "B" sample as well in order to conclusively incriminate Landis. Still, it doesn't look very good for the home team, as his denial is rather weak, and his team has suspended him.

It's a shame. Though I still don't follow cycling very much, my interest in the sport increased when I was in France, and it was nice to see another American with a feel-good story win the Tour. And with many of the sport's top figures already under heavy suspicion of doping, it is a double shame.

Posts: 786 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this sucks.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

- posted      Profile for Farmgirl   Email Farmgirl         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't understand drug testing. Since testosterone is a naturally occurring hormone, as well -- how can they tell if it was "artificially taken" as opposed to just whether his own body over-produced it during the stress of the race?
Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
They can usually tell by the ratio. I don;t think Landis has said anything so he doesn't have a denial or a positive statement out there, and all cycling teams suspend their riders pending an investigation.
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Ratio of?

Ratio of amount of drug for the volume of blood? Again, how would this determine his own body didn't just over-produce?

Posts: 9538 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
From the article
quote:
Under World Anti-Doping Agency regulations, a ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone greater than 4:1 is considered a positive result and subject to investigation. The threshold was recently lowered from 6:1. The most likely natural ratio of testosterone to epitestosterone in humans is 1:1.

Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Farmgirl
Member # 5567

Must've missed that paragraph. Thanks for the explanation.
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

I hope it isn't true though. I've always thought Landis was a very hard worker so I am still hoping for a bad test result.
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a report out now that in all likelihood his body did overproduce as a response to pain medication he was taking. A guy on WTOP says they have it from a "very reliable source" that this will clear up in a few days.

I hope it does -- it was an amazing comeback.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

I soooooooooo hope that is true. He really had a bad day and a bad day in the mountains can crush you. He had said that he didn't eat or drink enough and I know what that can do to you when cycling. Do you a link for that JTK?
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
I wish. I've been looking for it, but I can't find info anywhere else.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Athletes, even female ones often have higher testosterone counts than average people.

http://www.lafayette.edu/news.php/view/372

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I read somewhere once that a body in pain would produce a higher testosterone count. Anyone have any further information on that...I tried hunting for it but came up with a few sites that I can not access. This could account for a higher Testosterone count since he does have his hip problem.
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.