FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Hey Pelegius! or, What is going on in your life? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Hey Pelegius! or, What is going on in your life?
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yeah fugu, this page has a picture of Shelby, CC's sister, how much do they look alike?

http://www.prairie-fire.com/pages/handling.html

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm . . . *tries to get CC to pose similarly*

She's of the opinion lying down is far superior [Wink]

Lets see . . . I couldn't get her to pose so nicely, but she looks pretty similar. Maybe a small bit skinnier, and I think her tale's a bit bushier (though I can't tell exactly how bushy Shelby's is in this pic). I think the shape of her front is very similar, but I can't get as good an idea of the shape of her back, since she definitely doesn't get the notion of posing [Smile] .

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

*Grin* Shelby was pretty close to being strangled to get that shot. I need to get down there sometime to check her out, to see if we should show her or you should spay her.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

*nods*

Good plan, I can do most anytime (with some possible exceptions, of course).

Heh, I'm not sure nearly strangling cc would work . . . she can do a remarkable immovable object impression when one tries to move her in any way other than picking her entirely up [Wink]

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Bumpity, since this got to the second page. Hey Pelegius, if you don't like your current secondary school education, why don't you graduate early and go to St. John's now? Sounds like you'd have a much better time there than in your current school where you don't seem like you are being challenged enough.

AJ

Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
Because, A, I actually like significant aspects of my school and, B, St. John's is not my first choice. Also, graduating a year early and then going to a four-year school does not save any time compared to graduating on time and going to three-year school.

P.S. these are arguments for not dropping out, graduating early is not allowed at my school, or, rather, the curriculum is structured to make it impossible (four years of English which must be taken sequentially.)

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Ahh, from all your educational threads I got the impression that you were rather unhappy with the way your current system was set up.

Admittedly I was raised outside the system, so I see no problems with just plain leaving the system, or only using it when it is useful. I have quite a few friends that left high school early, got a GED and moved on with their lives, whether it was college or a trade.

*grin* you would probably be appalled at the number of essay assignments I've ever written for a class, in my entire educational career. I believe the grand total is about 8 or 9.

AJ

BannaOj
Member # 3206

And why coudn't you graduate early and go to a 3 year school? I mean if you build your college education around the minimum time as far as sequences of prequisites you can get done pretty quickly with many non-technical majors. I had a quite a few friends that graduated in 3 years, and had their Master's in four or less. Of course there was more flexibility at a larger school as to times of class offerings in order to get all the classes necessary in a single semester.

I don't know, I'm glad there are things you like about your school, but my overall impression of you is that you seem caged in and unhappy where you are, and that your current school was tediously boring and stupid, so I was trying to think of alternatives.

AJ

P.S. I've also noticed that grad schools in the liberal arts tend to be where you actually get the fun freewheeling kind of investigations you want. I don't think you are necessarily going to find what you want even at your Great Books school at the undergraduate level.

Grad schools in the sciences, and professions like music and law, are considerably more drudgery and torture.

AJ

pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
*raises hand* I just graduated from a small four-year college with pretty inflexible class scheduling. And it only took me three years. And I have way, way more credit hours than I actually need to graduate. It's totally possible.

Besides, it's not really about saving time. It's about moving on to the stuff that interests you and makes you happy.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Exactly... it's about moving on to the stuff that interests you.

From everything I've heard the European Universities are even more loaded with boring drudgery work than the US universities are.

AJ

ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
/cheers for puppy pics

Pelegius, I went to a school with similar English requirements; I ended up getting around them anyway but I will admit that as far as my education was concerned I did myself a disservice. There were, however, extenuating circumstances.

Out of curiosity, what –do- you like about your school?

Irami *smiles* good to see that name. You’re in Chicago now, yes? Doing okay, overcoming your aversion to the Midwest? I hope I haven’t grown up too much, though I think the grey hair is outing me.

You know, if you’d just call her Madi I’d never know the difference, but I think it’s kind of charming that you insist on calling her by her full name. It’s Madilyn. She just turned nine this past April and will be going into the fourth grade this fall. I just got back from a tea party that she organized for the ladies in the family (and her cousin Logan, though with some reluctance). She is very good at planning and executing parties and doesn’t even complain about cleaning up. I have no idea where she gets it considering my own antisocial tendencies.

Hmm, as for a story…well, you might like this. My mother and I took her to the Chinese New Year parade in DC this past February, and while we were waiting for the fun to begin we decided to slip into a restaurant and have lunch. Now in spite of Madi’s love of all things Chinese, she does not care for Chinese food. She will, however, settle for white rice.

Well it seemed she had a certain vision of what a real Chinese restaurant was supposed to be like, and this little diner did not meet expectations. Not being much for discretion, she asked where the hot tea was, and the chopsticks, while the owner was still in ear shot. This resulted in the owner graciously sharing her own supply of green tea and retrieving chopsticks from the back. Then the whole family taught her some words in Chinese (while making fun of the youngest daughter, who didn’t speak any Mandarin at all) and showing her the newspaper with the printed characters.

We ended up lingering so long that when we stepped out onto the street again the parade was about to begin, and it was packed! We found a place to stand at the very end, just behind the television crews and photographers. Madi immediately made friends with one of the photographers, but we were all quite suddenly brushed out of the way when Mayor Williams, surrounded by several men in black coats, chose just that spot to pass through. The nice photographer snapped a picture of Madi looking up at the Mayor but we never saw it.

After a short period of time she decided the noise and crowds were not to her taste and asked if we could go back to the restaurant. So we did, had another round of tea and talk, and a few young men in various colorful costumes joined us. We took lots of pictures with a disposable camera which was sadly left behind in the restaurant. She sure won that family over though, they were tripping over themselves trying to answer her whims and questions and teaching her new things.

I suppose that all sounded rather ordinary but I’m continually amazed by her charisma and confidence in speaking to people and her tendency toward wholehearted fascinations cannot help but suck you in as well.

Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Pelegius, it's probably a good idea to talk to students at the colleges you're looking into. Visiting is also good. You can get a feel for the campus that way.

I'm pretty happy at Arizona State. Sure, it's not prestigious, but the honors college is excellent, and I get the close-knit community and access to the opportunities provided by a large university. Like AJ, I chose to get a free education rather than going into debt to pay for a Stanford education. It's worked out quite well for me. In particular, I was able to afford a study-abroad trip to the British Isles this summer. I have to admit, I think I'd enjoy living in the UK for awhile. Perhaps I'll look into some of those universities for graduate school.

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
but we are, as a family, very proud of are pseudo-Canadianess
Have you considered attending a Canadian university? I've asked you this before but you didn't respond. I admit, I am biased. But I do know many Americans who have chosen to attend University 'up here', for various reasons- they seem very happy.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Ladyday, I promise I wasn't trying to make you blush, just speaking my mind. I have fond memories of you, strange as that may seem when you consider the small amount of contact we had on this forum (and others, I'll admit). It was the earliest days of my Hatrack experience, though, and those are the days I remember most fondly.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"And why coudn't you graduate early and go to a 3 year school?" They generaly prefer graduates.

Teshi, not really, although I am aware that there are very good schools up there. I have a friend studying economics at UBC and my father has a friend teaching econometrics half the year at McGill (the other half he teaches in France.)

"but my overall impression of you is that you seem caged in and unhappy where you are, and that your current school was tediously boring and stupid," It's probably more the city than the school.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:

From everything I've heard the European Universities are even more loaded with boring drudgery work than the US universities are.

AJ

Hum. This might be true in literature or suchlike subjects, but from what I've seen of physics (and granted that Ididn't do undergraduate work hereabouts) it's not true. No sociology courses if you're a physics major, for example.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ladyday
Member # 1069

- posted      Profile for ladyday   Email ladyday         Edit/Delete Post 
Well thank you, AP, and the sentiment is returned. If you're feeling especially sentimental I'll try to dig up your old mafia death scenes. I still have quite a few of them.
Posts: 1676 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
prolixshore
Member # 4496

- posted      Profile for prolixshore           Edit/Delete Post 
Haha. I don't think I had many good death scenes. I won my first game, was killed on the first day of the second game, and I only vaguely remember the next couple games. I know that my side never lost. Perfect record for me.

--ApostleRadio

Posts: 1612 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Fugu, you were called skippy in high school, you must just be overlooking the stories.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Being called skippy wasn't embarassing, particularly as it was a name picked with no rhyme or reason.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I always figured it had to do with that ballet picture miss g had of you, where you're fairly high with your legs spread.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Nope, my group of friends was just chatting one day, and William Freeland said that I needed a nickname, how about skippy? And it stuck.
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

Yeah, I knew it was William, but figured it had to do with ballet.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

quote:
you're fairly high with your legs spread.
Where's the out of context thread these days??

AJ

Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
I knew a guy called Skippy. He was called that because he always skipped play rehearsals. Everyone called him that, even the directors. I don't know that I ever heard his real name.
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

We're so lucky my whole weekend doesn't go into the OOC thread. I didn't find a Sham, AJ. Well I saw one that had just been purchased, but I think the girl's dad could have taken me.
BannaOj
Member # 3206

It's ok breyerchic. Thank you for looking!

In keeping with the "What's going on in your life" theme, this week is going to be stressful for me.

Steve is going to be working nights on a Very Busy Interstate. Not only is he doing that, but they are expecting him to do most of his day job too. The nice thing is that he gets overtime. The bad things are that A)I'm worrying about him getting killed every night. B) the more exhausted he is the less he will be aware of his surroundings and C) If I see him for a total of 3 hours between now and Saturday it will be a huge surprise.

AJ

sarahdipity
Member # 3254

- posted      Profile for sarahdipity   Email sarahdipity         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no AJ that sounds really annoying. Come chat with me on IM some night if you're bored. I'm going to be frantically trying to figure out what I should do for my thesis so that I can graduate. That and so that the recent spurt of ok ideas I've had don't get used without my getting a little bit of credit for them.

Fugu I think you need to show us pics of CC. [Razz]

Posts: 872 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

He once said he couldint find his digi cam. So hmm Fugu, let's meet sometime next week and I'll get CC pictures.
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I got around the four-year English thing by taking English courses at the local community college. You could consider that... altho I understand your desire to make yourself more competative for colleges. I'm in a four-year college right now, and I'm taking 3.5 years to finish, altho I could have been done in two. The extra bit is to make myself more competative for grad schools (the more math the better!), and take extra philosophy courses, since I love the subject.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

Works for me, breyerchic [Smile] .
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by BannaOj:

AJ
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hum. This might be true in literature or suchlike subjects, but from what I've seen of physics (and granted that Ididn't do undergraduate work hereabouts) it's not true. No sociology courses if you're a physics major, for example.

It's not true from what I understand either. Around here, you enroll at the beginning of the semester, attend lectures when and if you feel like it during the semester, and take an exam at the end of the semester. It's really at your discretion for when during your five years to take which exam, too, as long as you get them all done. That could vary by country, though, I suppose.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

woah. OK I was under a misconception. how bad are the exams?

AJ

Lissande
Member # 350

Usually oral, I believe, though there are...a few?...written ones as well throughout the university career. Then you write your thesis (school goes straight through to equivalent of Masters) and defend it. Exams depend on the professor, obviously, and to some extent on how much he likes you and what kind of student he thinks you are - as in, he chooses which questions to ask you and how satisfied he is with your answers. (Though I think for the final comprehensive leaving exams it may be a panel.) Tzadik went to law school and talks about being asked to quote XYZ law, Section 117, paragraph 2, first sentence, after the comma. He received a barely passing grade because he didn't quote it verbatim and only summarized. [Angst] He also finished his entire education with honors, and never had to write a single paper. Though I have to assume that depends on the discipline once you get to the university level.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Hmmm maybe the law once are worse than the rest... seems like that was what i heard about before too.

AJ

Lissande
Member # 350

I have a few friends in university now, mostly studying economics - I based my summary on their requirements, except for the "after the comma" bit from law school. There was certainly a good deal of memorization for Tzadik's law degree, which may or may not qualify as useless drudgery. [Wink]
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"I got around the four-year English thing by taking English courses at the local community college." No chance my school would allow those credits, but I really don't care (too much to do before I leave secondary school as it is, making my time shorter is not the best idea from my POV.)
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
If it is an accredited college and you do well, most schools will allow them. They usually even encourage them.
Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

They do allow, and encourages students to take classes at the local state universities, but in adition to, not instead of, regular secondary-school courses.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.