FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » SciFi Video Games (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: SciFi Video Games
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
B34N: Perhaps you would enjoy these oldies

* Flashback (on PC and SNES for sure, maybe other consoles) - platform game with fairly realistic animation.
* Fade to Black (PC only I think, sequel to Flashback) - Mostly it's a 3D shooter, with some simple puzzles.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
B34N: Perhaps you would enjoy these oldies

* Flashback (on PC and SNES for sure, maybe other consoles) - platform game with fairly realistic animation.
* Fade to Black (PC only I think, sequel to Flashback) - Mostly it's a 3D shooter, with some simple puzzles.

Ooh, which reminds me! The author of "Another World" (known in the U.S. as "Out of This World"), Flashback's predecessor, has just remade it for modern PCs and is offering it online, with a free demo.

http://www.anotherworld.fr/anotherworld_uk/index.htm

It's a game I first saw in England running on an Amiga, and made me stop and say "Wow, I didn't know computers could *do* that."

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll check it out, thanks for all the great games. I only fast MACs and old Slow PC so I may have to start with some of the older games if the won't run on the MAC.

It has definitely come to my attention that if I want to play some SciFi the PC arena is where I need to be.

[Big Grin] Thanks, B34N [Wave]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:
Tentacles? Is that some "The Empire Strikes Back - Special Anime Edition" version I've missed?

Lucas Classic Line - Sam & Max & Day of the Tentacle Lucas Classic Line - Sam & Max & Day of the Tentacle

Also I was thinking that with the new ai in video how long it will be until we see a game like the fantasy game in Ender's Game. That would be an interesting game to play, minus the whole mind shriking stuff.

[The Wave]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by A Rat Named Dog:
quote:
Can you imagine if, in Empire Strikes Back we got the whole movie from the Empire's side, and started to see that they really weren't evil at all, just victims of propaganda, and we were led to root for them in battles against the rebels?
We do get sequences in Empire that make a few of the Empire folks sympathetic. I like it when the opposing force in a story is actually comprehensible and human. Being able to conceive of their point-of-view is what makes it feel real and legitimate to me.

Fighting endless hordes of faceless enemies is boring and pointless. Fighting enemies that are well-developed and even sometimes sympathetic is fascinating. Makes you actually think about why they're really worth fighting. Instead of, "Well, obviously, they're evil. Look at their tentacles."

It's not the same thing, Geoff. Freelancer develops the different sides of the story, but it's always clear on which side the central character is (his own [Wink] ). That's not the same thing at all as suddenly rooting against all the very characters you have become close to.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I've yet to meet a person who did not enjoy StarCraft.

To this day every South Korean wakes up with one thought on their mind, "Will Blizzard announce StarCraft 2 today." and, "If not, when is the soonest moment I can play on battle net again?"

There was a game in the 90's called "Cyberia" where you basically had a man outfitted with a gun in his wrist. You moved by pressing up, and you selected your direction by pressing left or right. You fired with the space bar. You could only move alittle bit at a time as you progressed through the lvls. It made for some interesting puzzles.

They had some really cool shoot em up lvls where you piloted a stealth bomber (this was cool for the 90's) and manned an anti aircraft gun on an oil rig. The plot was interesting and it was quite a difficult game.

I'm the only one I know who ever played it [Razz]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
If you find enjoyment in being shot repeatedly with weapons that turn out to be empty and broken when you get them off your enemies' bodies, taking damage from running into railings, mispaced challenges, and an anticipation that you'll die repeatedly over the course of play, you might be able to enjoy System Shock 2. I wouldn't voluntarily play it again.
I enjoy all of these things! Well, those shotguns you got off the hybrids could always be emptied for a single shell, so they aren't technically empty, only broken. I also couldn't hurt myself on railings unless I was a very agile and fast character and I pumped myself up on a speed hypo.
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pfresh85
Member # 8085

- posted      Profile for pfresh85   Email pfresh85         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I thought of another more recent game, although not a PC or Xbox game. Eternal Darkness for the GameCube. It's sort of a horror type game, but it has fantasy and sci-fi elements to it. It's a very awesome game, even though it didn't sell really well. If you have a chance to check it out, I recommend doing so. I don't think you'll regret it.
Posts: 1960 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Anyone got a XBOX 360 and think that it was worth the purchase. I amy buy it just to get a chance to play prey, halo 3 and a couple of other new games that I am really interested in but don't think $400 is worth it.
aragorn64
Member # 4204

- posted      Profile for aragorn64   Email aragorn64         Edit/Delete Post 
Let's see...if you want to pick up on one of the best Sci-Fi series out there, I can't suggest the Metroid series highly enough.

There's Metroid Fusion and Metroid Zero Mission (a remake of the original Metroid game) that you can buy for the Game Boy Advance. Both are excellent.

And the Metroid Prime games for the GameCube are...amazing. If you go at them with the right mindest: if you play them expecting them to play, feel, and control like a typical FPS, then you will be surprised and possibly dissapointed. Because, as weird as it may sound, Nintendo marketing them as "First Person Adventures" is entirely accurate.

In fact, they're worth the purchase of a GameCube alone. (Let's see, you can get a used GameCube for about $60, and MP and MP2 are each $20). (Of course, there are a huge, huge amount of great games for the GameCube. It was, for me, the best system of this last generation.) Anyway, I'd love anybody who is interested more about the games.

Or, instead of getting a GCN with them, you could wait and purchase the Wii which is backwards compataible with the GCN. (It will probably have a price range of around $200). Metroid Prime 3 is supposed to be a launch title (although it may be delayed) and it looks like it's going to be incredible as well. Let's see, here's a trailer for it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=dM4xGBFQYYc

So anyway, my 0.02 is if you like Sci-Fi video games you really can't go wrong with the Metroid series.

Posts: 290 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
_L
Member # 9448

- posted      Profile for _L           Edit/Delete Post 
If you're into fighting games, One Must Fall: 2097 is a really, really old sci-fi "maintain a robot and beat up other robots" game. It's fantastic.

http://robyrt.coolserver.net/omf2097.html

There's a download of it there.

Posts: 18 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite is Second Sight. There is something very entertaining about projecting your mind in to that of an enemy's, and then walking them right off of a cliff.

[ August 22, 2006, 03:04 PM: Message edited by: Stephan ]

Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

I actually gave up trying to get a new game for while, until I decide whether or not I want an XBOX 360, looking forwrd to The new Lego Star Wars game coming out in Sept though. [Big Grin]

Started play advent rising again without the cheats this time, its a really fun game and I wish they would make another only problem is the frame rate and sound go whacky when too mach is happening on screen. [Frown]

SSMARTINDBZ
Member # 9685

- posted      Profile for SSMARTINDBZ           Edit/Delete Post 
PREY XBOX360/PC
KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC 1/2 XBOX/PC
HALO 1/2 XBOX/PC
ADVENT RISING XBOX/PC
THE CHRONICLES OF RIDDICK XBOX/PC
RESIDENT EVIL GAMECUBE/PC
METROID PRIME GAMECUBE/PC
PHANTOM DUST XBOX

Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really into real-time tactical games or shooters, I'm more into adventure and role-playing games.

In that line, I would echo KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC and FALLOUT as games well worth playing.

My own favorite, and arguably as science-fictiony as anything Star Wars, is PLANESCAPE: TORMENT. That had the deepest and most meaningful plot of any game I have ever played, and the choices you make in the game actually matter.

For a strictly-SF game... I'm gonna have to go with STARFLIGHT. It's a hoary old game, but it had an unusual conceit that made it memorable: it starts off as an exploring/mining/fighting game, and lets you stumble upon the overarching plot as you play, so you have more of a sense of discovering/unearthing the game's plot and more of a driven sense of investigating it. That sense of wonder I fealt as I first stubmled upon the message capsule directing me to New Scotland has never been truly equaled in another game.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
For a strictly-SF game... I'm gonna have to go with STARFLIGHT.
Wow, I'm impressed that I'm not alone in my admiration of it. The youth of today just doesn't understand the simplicity of it.

Personally, I preferred Star Control, specifically SC2.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vasslia Cora
Member # 7981

- posted      Profile for Vasslia Cora   Email Vasslia Cora         Edit/Delete Post 
I am watching Force of Arms very closly. It looks to be what most Sci-fi MMOs aim for but fail.
Posts: 503 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omega M.
Member # 7924

- posted      Profile for Omega M.           Edit/Delete Post 
If by sci-fi we mean "has robots and/or spaceships," there are plenty of sci-fi games out there: Super Robot Taisen, Mega Man, Pikmin, Star Fox ... (and those are just series available on Nintendo systems I could come up with in 5 seconds).
Posts: 781 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

New Lego Star Wars comes out pretty soon!
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Somebody already mentioned Escape Velocity, which was an awesome trilogy.

If you're running a Mac, you should definitely check out the old school Bungie games. The Marathon trilogy (which I just found out are available and free from PCs) was an astounding sci fi FPS for the time.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.