FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » How many ways can you say ...

Author Topic: How many ways can you say ...
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
"Everything doesn't work out".

How many different languages can Hatrack translate it into? It's just a phrase that's been on my mind lately but as I don't usually like revealing what's on my mind, I'd like some cryptic ways of saying it.

And anyone else feel free to use this thread for anything else you want translated.

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
3\/3|2Y7H1/\/G |)035/\/'7 \/\/0|2|< 0U7

Ta-da!

--j_k, who wanted to be the first to put it into 1337

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
gee, thanks j_k, kill my thread why don't ya. I really wanted some answers to this and I'm too laz... er, busy to figure it out on my own. [Razz]
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
This thread reminds me of a time when I was in Brazil. A Brazilian asked me and my American companion how to say "throw up" in English. We all discovered that there are more than 17 ways to say it in English. [Big Grin]
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
*bows*

If you say it in Yodaspeak, it sounds much more profound.

"Work out, not everything does."

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genius00345
Member # 8206

- posted      Profile for genius00345   Email genius00345         Edit/Delete Post 
In Esperanto, that'd be:

"Ĉio ne sukcesas el."

Literally... "Everything is not successful."

Posts: 206 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
S*** happens.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I can translate into Norwegian if you'll clarify : Did you mean to say that not all things are successful, or that all things are unsuccessful?
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by James Tiberius Kirk:
*bows*

If you say it in Yodaspeak, it sounds much more profound.

"Work out, not everything does."

--j_k

Actually, as the sentence was written, you have "Work out, nothing does". You may have got the intended meaning, though.

On a side note, all things more profound in yodaspeak sound.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Humean316
Member # 8175

- posted      Profile for Humean316   Email Humean316         Edit/Delete Post 
In predicate logic

UD: All things
Fx: x fails
Sx: x succeeds

Some things fail.
(Ex)(Fx), where E stands for epsilon and some.

Everything doesnt succeed.
~(Vx)(Sx), where V stands for all.

Posts: 457 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

KoM, "not all things are successful"
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dr Strangelove:

How many different languages can Hatrack translate it into? It's just a phrase that's been on my mind lately but as I don't usually like revealing what's on my mind, I'd like some cryptic ways of saying it.

A lot depends on how you mean it. It's an ambiguous phrase. It can mean that nothing ever works out, and it can mean that not everything always works out.

The first of those, in Hebrew, could be shoom dahvahr ayno mahtzlee'ach (with that "ch" as in Chanuka, or the German ach), and the second one could be loe kole dahvahr mahtzlee'ach

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
"The name 'Everything' does not exist in the class or namespace 'System.Work'"
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

In that case, "Ikke alt fungerer." The other would be (actually, I don't know why I didn't just translate both in the first place) "Ingenting fungerer". You could replace "fungerer" with "virker", if you had an Oslo dialect instead of my Bergen. And if you were of the working class, you might say "funker" instead. Further north "ingenting" would be replaced by "itt'no", and in the east they might say "ikkeno'". And so on.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Are you sure you don't mean "Not everything works out". I think that's the proper way to say it. Not that I'm a big grammar person or anything. [Big Grin]
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

Dude, three people have made that point already. Plainly, you're not a big reading-the-thread person either.
Little_Doctor
Member # 6635

- posted      Profile for Little_Doctor   Email Little_Doctor         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you following me KoM? Because if you enjoy picking out all my mistakes you could start a thread about them. That way I know where to look.
Posts: 1401 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

It' not my fault if you make mistakes in two threads I'm interested in. Go post something silly in the 'aborted gay babies' thread, I promise I won't read it.
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

[Smile] . You make me smile, KoM. Also, yes, "Not everything works out" is a much better way of saying it. I thought of it earlier today and was kickin myself for not having the thread be for that in the for first place.

So yeah, "Not everything works out" is what I want to say. And thanks everyone so far.

Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
In German:

Es ging nicht alles gut vonstatten.

Literally-ish: "It doesn't all take place well"

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
日本語で (In Japanese)

Shikataganai

Lit. "It can't be helped"

Veeeery useful phrase.

Nicchimo sacchimo ikanai

Lit. "I've tried everything, it still doesn't work"

Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
Spanish-

no todo es exitoso

Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Kelly, would it be:

Todo no es exitoso-?

Your translation is "not everything works out", but I think that is not as close.

Or maybe: "Todo no puede exitar," would be a closer renition

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Orincoro:
Or maybe: "Todo no puede exitar," would be a closer renition

That is not Spanish... First, "exitar" is not a Spanish word. Second, you won't hear that kind of phrase (i.e. word order) in everyday life.

So I'd go with what Kelly said.

Also in French, the word order is important (i.e. not optional): "Tout ne va pas aller." This is the way to say what Dr Strangelove wants to say. It does not translate to : "Everything will fail (won't work out)" but "There is something that won't work out".

Note: this is based on my experience accumulated while living in Spain and France. Anyone with such experience and/or knowledge (such as Spanish and/or French people [Wink] ) is welcome to confirm (or not) it.

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.