FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Israel: Stuff to do?

Author Topic: Israel: Stuff to do?
Phanto
Member # 5897

- posted      Profile for Phanto           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm heaing to Israel. I'll be chilling with my family for the most part, but I will, of course, soon start to suffer from ennui.

So any ideas for things to do? Going North to see first hand rocket attacks is not on my calandar, unforutnatly. Nor is the Gaza trip. But other ideas? [Razz]

I'm gonna be in Jerusalem.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you could write an exciting novel incorporating many of the historical and architectural artworks that the city of Jerusalem holds. Then you think up a far-fetched plot, and pretty soon your book will end up at the top of the bestseller-lists. And it'll stay there for over a year.

Pardon the sarcasm, if you please.
I actually have no real suggestions, but wish you to have a very good time.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

O_O

How did you guess I was going to research my latest novel? I've decided to write about how Leonardo De Vinci had a baby with the Mona Lisa, and that baby trained his baby to train his baby and so on... to train George W. Bush in arm to arm combat!

Through in three vampires, a witch, and a weird scar. Stir.

Now THERE's a best seller.

Posts: 3060 | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
More seriously...

Unfortunately, you're probably going to want to avoid Haifa at the moment. If it calms down a little, the Baha'i temle in Haifa is impressive.

In Jerusalem, you may want to look into a tour of some of the underground excavations near the temple. It was pretty cool.

For regular fun, Eilat (at the Southern tip) is the beach resort city of Israel. Very nice beaches and touristy stuff.

A trip to the Dead Sea is a must, though it's only necessary to do once and make sure to bring some pain relief ointment afterwards. If you had a minor scratch on any part of your body before you went in, you'll know shortly afterwards [Smile]

Travel's not a big problem--you can drive to anywhere in Israel and back in a few hours. It's a small country.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Edgehopper:
In Jerusalem, you may want to look into a tour of some of the underground excavations near the temple.

I was going to recommend this as well.

You should also visit Meah Shearim. Check out the Olivewood Factory, duck cars and pedestrians on the narrow cobblestone streets . . . [Big Grin]

Machane Yehudah is great fun (and you can get great bargains too).

Back in the Old City, there are many small artisan's shops just up the hill from the Wall (just beyond the touristy little restaurants and postcard shops). They have some lovely stuff, including the occasional small-enough-not-to-cost-an-arm-and-a-leg item. [Wink] (I got my kids some beautiful one-of-a-kind dreidels there.) And with the drop in tourism, they'll really appreciate your business.

And a trip to the Old City is hardly complete with a visit to the Temple Institute.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Climb Masada for the sun rise. Birthright woke us up at 3 am to do this, and I really had not even heard of it before so I thought they were nuts. Probably one of the most breath taking sights I have ever seen.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

Thanks for the advice, guys [Smile] . Anymore? ^^
CalvinMaker
Member # 2032

- posted      Profile for CalvinMaker   Email CalvinMaker         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Ben Yehuda (a street not too far from the old city). Lots of cools stores, restaurants, and places to chill there. You can often find people playing music, and sometimes other cool acts too (I once saw some kids displaying their capoeira.

If you're a juice fan like me, I'd highly recommend shopping around both in a bunch of the grocery stores, as well as all the little fresh-squeezed carts and such that are around. Juices in Israel are so weird and yet soooooooooooo good.

Also, keep in mind that Tel-Aviv is only about an hour away, and you can take a sheirut (think airport-shuttle kinda vehicle) from right by Ben Yehuda to the central bus station in Tel Aviv for 20 or 25 shekels, if I remember correctly. (About 4.5 sheks to the dollar)

Posts: 1934 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
You might try emailing Raia... she hasn't been on the forum too much lately, but I think she's still checking her mail.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
She's in New York for the week, but I could ask her for you later tonight.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
What to do in Isreal? The same thing you do anywhere, try and take over the world.

(I did not say, What to do in Isreal? Why invade Lebanon of course. That would have been a cheap shot and I wouldn't do that)

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Raia said there's a lot to do, then we got distracted and started talking about puppies.

But she mentioned that the Dead Sea is apparently drying up, and it's harder to get to, or something like that. So I guess see it while you can.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
"Climb Masada for the sun rise. Birthright woke us up at 3 am to do this"

I tried this once, and it after all of the climbing and waking up early, it was too cloudy that day to see the sun [Grumble] .

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Beanny
Member # 7109

- posted      Profile for Beanny   Email Beanny         Edit/Delete Post 
I strongly reccomend the Nave-Tzedek and Nave-Shalom tour in Tel-Aviv, the architecture is beautiful and the historical background interesting.
If you know Hebrew, then you find the Tel Aviv Palmach museum very exciting.

Bad fastfood - Burger Ranch. BurgerKing and McDonalds are ok if the kids want it, but BurgerRanch... forget about it.

Good places to eat in Tel Aviv and its surroundings: Marmorek (good Fucacha and hamburgers), Miyako (Japanese), Manta Ray (sea food), Ilans (good coffee and great service), Max Brener (chocolate!), Badolina (cosher, in the harbour, good everything!) Saeed (great oriental food, do not confuse with Saeed2000).

Don't even consider a restaurant in the area of the Opera Buildings near the sea (many are tempted to do so from some reason), the mediocre meal won't be worth the money. If you want something fancy, tasty, with a wonderful seashore view - try Manta Ray.

Massada is great, and so is Ceasarea. Massada has a sentimental value beacuse of its history, but Cesearea is just as interesting, and there's a pleasant ocean breeze.

Posts: 803 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

One more thing to do in Israel: Meet me! (assuming you will still be there at the end of August)

[Big Grin]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Phanto
Member # 5897

I will be there until August 24 [Razz] .

Thanks for all the advice! I will certainly put some of it into action [Smile] .

rivka
Member # 4859

Darn it!

You're just avoiding me, aren't you? [Cry]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.