FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The Last Ones Standing: Only four Shakers are left in the world...

Author Topic: The Last Ones Standing: Only four Shakers are left in the world...
jasonepowell
Member # 1600

- posted      Profile for jasonepowell   Email jasonepowell         Edit/Delete Post 
From the Boston Globe:

Only four Shakers are left in the world, all living in southern Maine. But if they can't attract converts to their celibate lifestyle and this really is the end for them, they have a plan to ensure that their legacy lives on forever.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/magazine/articles/2006/07/23/the_last_ones_standing/?page=full

I thought that since OSC talked about Shaker hymns in todays review article, some of you might find this interesting.

I work in Northern Virginia, where there are an awful lot of people working to preserve little bits of history, but I can't imagine being the last disciples of an entire religion.

Posts: 1281 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
It must be easy to become their equivalent of "Pope." [Wink]
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
The last one alive gets the Quickening.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh well, one down, several thousand to go... Alas, the ones that demand celibacy are the easy ones, it's just too unnatural. Good riddance, anyway.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Icarus
Member # 3162

- posted      Profile for Icarus   Email Icarus         Edit/Delete Post 
Fscinating article, by the way. Thanks for sharing it.
Posts: 13680 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by jasonepowell:
From the Boston Globe:

Only four Shakers are left in the world, all living in southern Maine. But if they can't attract converts to their celibate lifestyle and this really is the end for them, they have a plan to ensure that their legacy lives on forever.

Their end has been slowly approaching since they stopped being allowed to adopt children.
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Icarus:
Fascinating article, by the way. Thanks for sharing it.

Yes it was. The author's bias was showing, though. "Tic" indeed!
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone here read "A Day No Pigs Would Die" by Robert Newton Peck? He claims his family was Shaker, and they sure weren't celibate. I wonder what the reality of the history of Shaker celibacy was.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
*wonders if someone will come up with a crappy reality show based on this*
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
Man, I want to give this guy a copy of Jared Diamond's Collapse.

Still, his religious beliefs aren't harming anyone, and he's not forcing them on anyone. I wish this religion weren't the one dying out.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.