FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Stephen Colbert on Wikipedia

Author Topic: Stephen Colbert on Wikipedia
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
So on the show earlier, he was talking about Oregon, and apparently he called them Idaho's Mexico on a previous show, and in this show changed it to Idaho's Portugal. He saw it on Wikipedia earlier, which is why he changed it, and actually went to the Wikipedia website and changed it to: Oregon.

quote:
Washington's Mexico (pronounced [ˈo ɹɪ ɡən](ORIgun)[1]), also known as Idaho's Portugal, is a state in the Pacific Northwest region of the United States, bordering the Pacific Ocean, California, Washington, Idaho, and Nevada.
That article is now:
quote:
temporarily protected from editing to deal with vandalism. Please discuss changes on the talk page or request unprotection.
Later in the show, he made some elephant jokes, and then said that he heard somewhere that they were making a comeback, and that someone should edit their wikipedia article to say that their population has tripled. Now, the elephant article is also locked for vandalism.

Amusing.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
That's hilarious. Man, I miss the daily show.
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
Did he actually change it on the show?
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

He pulled out his laptop and pretended to. If I had to guess, I'd say he had a staffer changing it backstage even as he was pretending to actually change it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ginol_Enam
Member # 7070

- posted      Profile for Ginol_Enam           Edit/Delete Post 
Why wouldn't he have, just, really changed it?
Posts: 450 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Because he did it in like three seconds, and I doubt his laptop could have resumed from a closed position and found a wireless network signal as fast as he claimed to have done it, especially given the lack of typing he did.

I think it would have been funny for them to show him actually doing it, but maybe there were technical issues.

Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say it's a little sad, though unsurprising, that some zombie-fan just obeyed orders and went and changed the elephants article (which is what I presume happened).
Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I would've done it, but I'm lazy.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SenojRetep
Member # 8614

- posted      Profile for SenojRetep   Email SenojRetep         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. Cause vandalism's funny.

I don't know; I guess I just don't get Colbert. Stewart = funny; Colbert = annoying. Maybe it's a generational thing.

Posts: 2926 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I like them both.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
Cool.

-Banjo, King of the Sea Monkeys

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
I like COlbert's The Word. That's about it though.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Colbert is very hit or miss with me. I like the opening puns, I usually like The Word, and the Fear report is usually funny. The interviews, both with congresspeople for their districts and withe guests on the show, can range from embarassingly awkward to watch to hilarious and about to be YouTubed and sent to all my friends.

I find the Daily Show more dependably funny, but when Colbert hits it right he's fantastic.

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I find Colbert to be funny enough of the time that I enjoy his brand of humor. I thought his roast of President Bush at the White House Press Dinner was seriously lacking save his joke about "glaciers." But I really enjoy The Word and Fear Report, and pretty much every reference he makes to D and D.

[ August 01, 2006, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: BlackBlade ]

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
Ack! That phonetic transcription is horrible. I don't understand how someone who knows the International Phonetic Alphabet could produce something that bad.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:

I don't know; I guess I just don't get Colbert. Stewart = funny; Colbert = annoying. Maybe it's a generational thing.

I dunno how old you are, but I'm 21 and feel exactly the same way.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
T_Smith
Member # 3734

- posted      Profile for T_Smith   Email T_Smith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by blacwolve:
quote:
Originally posted by SenojRetep:

I dunno how old you are, but I'm 21 and feel exactly the same way.
Jamie and I agree, though I will admit to having laughed at a couple of his jokes.
Posts: 9754 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I think both of them are pretty funny. But I like Jon Stewart better on the whole because he's funny, but his political insight is much more intriguing, his interviews more thought provoking, and in general he's more likeable.

Colbert is good, and I like a lot of his segments. His interviews are obviously over the top, and I'd say 30% of the time he gets some great information or responses out of his guests, and the rest of the time the interview segment is useless. But I really like everything that happens before the interview. Not every episode is gold, but the ones that are, come close to platinum.

Lalo
Member # 3772

- posted      Profile for Lalo   Email Lalo         Edit/Delete Post 
I disliked Colbert when he first came up -- Stewart was political and Colbert was fluff, so I never bothered tuning in. But since then, Stewart's lost a lot of his dependable reporters -- Rob Corddry's gold and Jason Jones is okay, but the others (particularly Bakkedahl) are infuriatingly boring. Colbert's hits are getting stronger and more frequent, and honestly, I think he's doing more political stuff than Stewart.

In fact, I'd go so far as to say Stewart's becoming an opening act for Colbert. I haven't seen anyone become this massively popular, this quickly -- and when people send me Youtube links, more often than not they're of Colbert. I don't know if he has the lasting power of the Daily Show, but for now, he rawks.

Posts: 3293 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
I like most of the show, but his interviews never seem to work. Neither him nor his guests know whether to try to act funny or try to act serious, but either way, it's painfully obvious that they try. Stewart has a knack for making his guests act naturally, only joking when the humor is already there, ready and waiting.

Interviews aside, however, I like the shows equally.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Jason Jones is hilarious I think. Him and Rob Corrdry are my favorites.
Tarrsk
Member # 332

- posted      Profile for Tarrsk           Edit/Delete Post 
Much Stephen Colbert love here, although I agree that his interviews are often somewhat strained. I think that's because of the constraints of the character he's playing, though. Can you imagine trying to interview politicians from a perspective you fundamentally disagree with, every single night? While simultaneously trying to stay fresh and funny (without going for the cheap laughs), and maintaining relevance? I don't envy him the task.

I also notice that when he interviews someone with no particular political angle (such as when his former Strangers with Candy castmate Amy Sedaris appeared on the show), his interviews are solid gold. The spontaneous tumbling routine that ended that interview is one of the most hysterical things I've ever seen.

Interviews aside, though, the Colbert Report is the best thing on TV, at least until Veronica Mars starts up again.

[ August 02, 2006, 03:45 PM: Message edited by: Tarrsk ]

Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tarrsk:
Interviews aside, though, the Colbert Report is the best thing on TV, at least until Veronica Mars starts up again. [emphasis added]

I think you misspelled "Battlestar Galactica", Tarrsk.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Nah. Although BSG is definitely up there, it's a little too grim to take the top spot for me. Veronica Mars leavens the dark character-driven drama with sharp humor better than any show since Angel left the air.
Posts: 1321 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
BSG is probably my favorite currently-running show that I've actually watched, but I don't watch much TV, so that comment has to be taken with a grain of salt. I'm not even sure what the premise of Veronica Mars is, honestly. Your description of it is intriguing, though--I'm all for character driven drama and sharp humor.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tarrsk
Member # 332

Hmm... well, in a nutshell, think of Veronica Mars as "film noir in high school" mixed with a healthy dose of wit. It's frequently compared to Buffy (small blonde protagonist with a sarcastic streak), but differs in that there are no supernatural elements, and whereas Buffy dealt with real-life issues on a metaphorical level, Veronica Mars deals with them directly. For example, rather than pit monsters against humans as symbolic of racism, Veronica Mars has a recurring plotline in which the rich white kids and the poor Hispanic community frequently clash (and because this is noir, the question of who is "right" is often a murky one).

Veronica Mars also features brilliant season-long arcs. The entire storylines are plotted out way in advance, unlike most shows (*cough cough* Lost *cough cough*). The first season, in particular, stands out as the best season-long story I've ever seen. It centers around the murder of Veronica's best friend, as well as Veronica's own experience with rape after being roofied at a party. Small clues to these big mysteries are revealed in just about every episode (even though a given episode's A-story is usually standalone), climaxing in a season finale that manages to be both shocking and entirely believable in retrospect. Veronica is, in fact, one of the few shows I've seen where the season-long arc works even better the second time you watch it, because then you can catch every single clue and see how it fits into the whole plot.

Like I said, the show is also highly character-driven. Each of the main characters is tied integrally to the main plot, and undergoes dramatic change throughout each season. As in classic noir, each character also has his or her faults and agendas, and these often result in conflict. The humor of the show also usually draws from the characters- Veronica's relationship with her father, in particular, is a beautiful thing.

Anyway, I could go on for hours about why Veronica Mars rocks, but I'll stop here. Check out the first season (and make sure to watch it in order [Wink] ), I think you'll enjoy it.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
You guys might be interested in an interview that Colbert did with The Onion. He breaks character and talks about the character. It's very interesting.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.