FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » College Students - what's your schedule for the fall? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: College Students - what's your schedule for the fall?
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to jump on the "Don't take 20 credits your first semester" bandwagon too. Even with the ability to drop classes, you really don't want to get in over your head. I'm shocked they even let you sign up for so many, at my university 18 is the limit, any higher requires the signature of the dean of your school.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
I think that you all are importing too much uniformity on to the term "units." Four units in one class is different from four units in another class which is different from four units at another school.

Aside:

It's this same mentality that worships standardized tests without questioning what we are testing.

Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
First of all, credits are roughly standardized; while they are only a heuristic, they are a heuristic.

Second, she posted her list of courses. Significant numbers of practice-requiring music courses, a beyond-beginner music theory course, and a language course are all very intensive courses, generally speaking. Obviously her experience could be different, but odds are it won't be.

There is significant incentive for her to err on the side of caution. Many people have bad experiences with college because they overloaded themselves. Taking what is considered a normal courseload, particularly when one has not had the chance to ascertain one's own capabilities at the particular college, is rarely going to be a choice with negative effects.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tinros
Member # 8328

- posted      Profile for Tinros           Edit/Delete Post 
Here's the deal with my course load: I don't have a choice. Those classes(the music ones, anyway) are required for all first semester music majors. It's not really that much TIME per week. only about five hours of classes a day, plus practice and study. so, the music calsses I can't drop without adding a significant chunk of time onto my college time- and I'd really like to graduate in four years. I could drop math or french, but I actually ENJOY both of those, and I'm considering moving to Quebec someday anyway, simply because I'm sick of our country's policies.

I'm a smart person, generally speaking. I'm in the honors program and all. I think I'll be able to handle it. And if I can't... well, I'll be taking those later. But for now... I'll deal.

I move in September 17. I'm looking forward to it.

Posts: 1591 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Here's the deal with my course load: I don't have a choice.
quote:
I could drop math or french, but I actually ENJOY both of those,
You do have a choice. [Smile]

It is possible to do anything, and it is possible to do everything, but it is not possible to do everything at once. [Smile]

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The French is the one that probably is going to give you the most course work, and if dropped would leave you at 15 credits.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
CGS2064 -- Computer Literacy II
HIS3464 -- History of Science
WOH1023 -- Modern World to 1815
HIS4930 -- War/Society During The French Revolution
REL3170 -- Religious Ethics.

I move up to Tallahasse in a week [Smile] . I'm pretty excited. FSU, here I come!

Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eisenoxyde
Member # 7289

- posted      Profile for Eisenoxyde           Edit/Delete Post 
I finally got all my classes worked out for the upcomming semester:

EGGN 350 MEL II (Multidisciplinary Engineering Lab)
MACS 348 Advanced Engineering Math
EGGN 351 Fluids I
EGGN 407 Feedback Control Systems
EGGN 411 Computer Aided Engineering
EGGN 491 Senior Design I

total: 17.5 credit hours

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
So how's it going?
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
I love my ed class, the child development not so much. Psych and Micro Bio are good, the bio lab is fun.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm bummed because I found out one of the classes I'm taking won't count toward my major. Annoying, because it's wasted credit - I don't even need it as an elective. I'd drop it, but I still have to pay for it and no sense in not trying to get my money's worth out of it. Besides, I have an A in it so far and it will at least help bring up my GPA.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dr Strangelove
Member # 8331

- posted      Profile for Dr Strangelove   Email Dr Strangelove         Edit/Delete Post 
My "War and Society During the French Revolution" class is freaking awesome! The dude is the best professor I've ever had. History of Science, on the other hand, is insufferably boring. And World Civilization to 1815 is stuff I've known since middle school. But overall, its going great [Big Grin] .
Posts: 2827 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I have 10 classes this semester... that's a ridiculous amount for ANYONE.

*sigh* Such is the life of a music major...

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kojabu
Member # 8042

- posted      Profile for kojabu           Edit/Delete Post 
This semester I'm taking:

Intro to Islamic Civ
Holy War, Crusade, and Jihad
Gender, Sexuality, and the Body in Late Antiquity
Religion and American Democracy
Asian American Urban Experience

And I'm not doing so well right now... I put too many courses with lots of reading together and have slacked on the two "easier" courses, which now makes them hard to catch up on/do well on tests. *headdesk*

Posts: 2867 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JaneX
Member # 2026

- posted      Profile for JaneX           Edit/Delete Post 
*materializes*

My courses:

Modern American Poetry
17th-Century Poetry
Acting II: Shakespeare and Calderon
Intro to Computer Science

I'm also a TA for Logic 100. And I'm also in a choral ensemble for which I should get credit, but my school is dumb about things like that.

~Jane~

*vanishes*

Posts: 2057 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
MGT_-B605-051 Managerial Communication
MGT_-B725-051 Leadership Dynamics
MKT_-B735-051 New Product Development/Marketing
BA__-B893-051 Doing Business in Latin America (which means I go abroad during winter break!)

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Oy, I'd forgotten about this thread:

Calc II
Introduction to Engineering Analysis (Most schools call it Statics, I'm told)
Physics I
Minds and Machines (Essentially a philosophy class geared toward math/science nerdy types)
Engineering Graphics and CAD

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
It took me forever to get a finalized schedule:

I passed the entrance exam (and placed out of analysis), so:

Algebra
Geometry
Algebraic Geometry
Quantum Field Theory

This kind of sets my next semester:
(more) Algebra
Algebraic Topology
Algebraic Geometry #2
String Theory

(I'm really excited!)

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I forgot about this thread. I was another late finalizer.

Senior Colloquium - Documentary Film
Basic Problems of Philosophy - Chuck Palahniuk
Science Seminar III - Math and the Mona Lisa
Directed Study - Shakespeare's Tragedies
Thesis

12 hours. The minimum for a full-time student but all upper-level classes so I'm pretty busy.

The Chuck Palahniuk class started out fun. Who doesn't love "Fight Club?" But all books are pretty much the same so far with just different character names.

Shakespeare is nice because we're reading the plays outloud. And its a small class with only five people enrolled (one auditing) so we dicuss alot during those four hours.

Sci Sem is same ole, same ole. The book we're reading has some pretty obvious flaws so we spend more time trying to make sense of the author's point than really digging into the bigger themes.

And Thesis is just alot of outside work, though right now I'm meeting with my advisor once a week so things are going well. He's a philosophy professor who shares a focus in religion so he's so much help when it comes to having someone to bounce ideas off of.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

They don't let me take more than 12 hours. But Leadership is mostly online, writing papers and whatnot. I'm really liking my schedule, and I'm really liking my assistantship, too. It feels really good to be doing work and knowing that it's actually going toward something, that it's actually going to help somebody get a shot at their dream. I hope they hire me as a full-time counselor when I finish. The pay would be REALLY nice for a 22-year-old kid, and the work is just so interesting.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
No more than 12? Are you in grad school? I forget.
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, I know you've all been waiting. If you think Tinros is crazy. geet reaady.

Music 101 Advanced theory (Seniors)
Music 122 String Quartets of Haydn and Mozart (musicology/theory)
music 102 Beginning Conducting

Psychology 1 I am the only senior, so it seems, in a class of 500

performance stuff:

Guitar Ensemble
Advanced Study- Guitar
Rennaissance Consort (I'm directing [Big Grin] ) I started this group
University Chorus
Early Music Ensemble (Voice)

I really wanted to audition for chamber singers too... maybe next quarter.

If I did register for all these units, it would be ohh 24 units. But I don't register for half the performance stuff- no need

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Mathematician:
Algebra
Geometry
Algebraic Geometry

. . .
(more) Algebra
Algebraic Topology
Algebraic Geometry #2

I'm sensing a theme . . .
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mr.Funny
Member # 4467

- posted      Profile for Mr.Funny           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm enrolled in a grand total of one class:

Math 254 - Vector Calculus I

Yay for taking college classes in high school!

Posts: 1466 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
You would so love Caltech. [Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
No more than 12? Are you in grad school? I forget.

Yeah, I'm in an MBA program. I took at least 18 hours a semester pretty much all through undergrad (except for summer classes, where they only let you take 12 at a time as well). It's kind of a weird change to me. And all my classes are at night. I mean, I took a lot of night classes in undergrad because there were a lot that were only offered at night, but to have NO day classes whatsoever...is weird.

-pH

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
Orincoro --

I didn't know you were a music major! You think THAT'S crazy? Check this out:

* Music 277 Chamber Singers
* French 202A Intermediate French II
* Music 191 Italian Diction
* Music 223A Musicianship III
* Music 283 Performing Opera
* Music PNOD Piano Lessons
* Music 1 Recital Attendance
* Anthropology 290C Sex and Desire in India
* Music 213A Theory III
* Music VOCC Voice Lessons

Yeah.

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like my junior schedule Raia. You are a third semester music major? Where are you right now in the repertoire/compositional style studies? I am going to assume you are covering Bach suites lately, and maybe some rococo stuff? Haydn?

In that quarter of my junior year i took

music theory
musicianship
keyboarding C (bach chorales all day everyday)
Music Histroy- 20th century
English 123- upper div- British lit.
Advanced Guitar study
Guitar Ensemble
University Chorus

We don't get units for attending concerts, but if you don't go, everyone knows who you are. I go.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.