FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Harry, he's dead. I'm sorry, sweetie. *SPOILERS*

Author Topic: Harry, he's dead. I'm sorry, sweetie. *SPOILERS*
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
From a press conference with J.K. Rowling.

http://www.the-leaky-cauldron.org/#article:8913

quote:
Why did Dumbledore have to die [asked by TIME for Kids representative]?

I did an interview last year in which I was asked this question. In the genre in which I'm writing, you usually find that the hero has to go on alone. There comes a point when his support falls away and to be truly heroic he has to act alone. Harry is not completely alone, he still has his two faithful sidekicks. This was summarized for my by the person who asked the question with, you mean the old wizard always gets it, and that fundamentally , that is what I was saying . I was trying to dress it up a little better than that. So that's why. In these sort of epic sagas, the hero eventually has to fight alone.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
The reasoning is what bothers me. On the surface, it doesn't seem that she is trying to be true to life as much as true to the genre, and being true to the genre seems to be, to me at least, aligning yourself with a false idol.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Obi Wan Kenobi was REALLY dead too, but he still seemed to do a whole lot of talking and helping afterwards. When you are dealing with Magic, you have to explain even less than you do with science fiction.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
True to life, as in what really happens when a teenager is in mortal combat with a wizard? [Razz]
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In these sort of epic sagas, the hero eventually has to fight alone.
Yep. And in the end, the hero and villain mutually annihilate each other -- in these sorts of epic sagas.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
She has said that TWO people are going to die in the last book. Considering she also continues to talk about Harry "...eventually has to fight alone," one can only guess the inevitable.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I hope that she's just saying that to throw us off. "I wrote what I did because that's how these sorts of stories havta go" HAS to be a cop-out, or else I'll be really, really disappointed.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
No she hasn't said two people will die! She has said two people will die that she didn't think would die ten(ish) years ago. My bet is still Tonks is one of those.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

Right, lots more than two people will die. [Evil]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
I still think lupin is going to die. Wormtail having a silver hand is just too perfect, and JKR is too good to let that kind of coincidence just slip by.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
But her saying she has to stay true to the genre makes no sense either considering she denies that she even knew she was writing fantasy... [Big Grin]

Yeah, yeah, I know, that was in the beginning. I just have to poke fun wherever I can, old curmudgeon that I am... [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kwsni:
I still think lupin is going to die. Wormtail having a silver hand is just too perfect, and JKR is too good to let that kind of coincidence just slip by.

Ni!

You know, I never thought of that. Now I'm all sad. I like Lupin.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Does this all seem sort of Ender-ish to any one else? Harry has to believe that he is completely on his own and that no one is going to help him. However, he blindly doesn't see that he's not alone and that he's surrounded by people who will help him. Maybe next JKR will write a separate book from the perspective of Hermione, who unbeknownst to us all, was a street savvy orphan before her muggle parents adopted her and sent her to magic school...

It's like two of my favourite books in one! hehe...

Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
OSTY
Member # 1480

- posted      Profile for OSTY   Email OSTY         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the 2 will be Harry and Longbottom!
Posts: 224 | Registered: Jan 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
The two additional charecters that die? I don't think she changed her mind on whether she kills harry or not.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eaquae Legit:
quote:
Originally posted by kwsni:

Ni!

You know, I never thought of that. Now I'm all sad. I like Lupin.
Me neither, but I think kwsni is right. [Frown] Poor Lupin.
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Dumbledore dying sucked. But then again - a good number of parts of the books sucked to read. At least for me, I'd get sucked in and really feel the characters (and suddenly find myself crying at the kitchen table, book in hand, sleeve wet from wiping my eyes/nose/whateva')... I don't worry so much about what might come in the next book, I just try to imagine how I think it might go. I try to shut myself off to the media and I guess in some ways, once I'm reading, compare how my 'perfect ending' jives with the 'actual ending'. I'm excited to see what happens next, for one because there are just so many ways it can go!!!
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by b boy:
Does this all seem sort of Ender-ish to any one else?

A bit. But it's a classic trope.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Wait, I thought silver was only fatal to vampires, not werewolves - isn't it? Or is it both, and I somehow missed that?
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
In many stories, they use silver bullets to kill werewolves.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Dumbledore dying sucked.
What sucked for me was everybody making such a big deal about him dying. By the time I read the book, I didn't even care anymore -- I had already had too much of his death.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

mr_porteiro_head, Probably was heightened by Harris' death IRL, which is who many of the younger readers identified AS Dumbledore.

Which, in some ways, is sad. I've spoken with so many kids who haven't read, only watched. So much gets missed!!!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
mph - That's what I was figuring, but I've never read that anywhere. Granted, I also don't think I've read much about werewolves in general, outside of Harry Potter. I tended to stick to vampire stories.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
SPOILERS!!!!!!!
From Mugglenet.com

quote:
Peter Pettigrew’s silver hand will not kill Lupin
I read the original interview she mentioned this in, and I believe she said that she hadn't made the connection between silver and werewolves when she made the silver hand.
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

quote:
mr_porteiro_head, Probably was heightened by Harris' death IRL, which is who many of the younger readers identified AS Dumbledore.
I don't think so. While I remember that the actor passed away between movies, I heard a whole lot of rabid fans who were so offended that Rowling would dare kill of their beloved character.
cmc
Member # 9549

Good point... Maybe they got too caught up with the character instead of the story?
cmc
Member # 9549

OH! ps - If all the Headmasters have portraits in the office, is he really 'dead'? : )
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I guess Wormtail owes Harry too much to be able to kill Lupin. For which I am profoundly grateful.

My original understanding of the silver hand bit was just the archetypal presence of such a thing. I dunno. I am very happy again now.

Oh, and Dumbledore's death was almost an anticlimax for me. I had trouble reading through the bit where Harry has to force-feed him the liquid. It hit a little too close to home.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kwsni
Member # 1831

- posted      Profile for kwsni   Email kwsni         Edit/Delete Post 
Blacwolve: Aww. I've been anticipating that for three books now. I do hope Lupin doesn't die, but I think she's missing a good setup by not having Wormtail kill him. I mean, that's what she's good at, integrating things that will become important in later books.

Ni!

Posts: 1925 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.