FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » does anyone know any good fantasy?

Author Topic: does anyone know any good fantasy?
Alchemist449
Member # 8808

- posted      Profile for Alchemist449   Email Alchemist449         Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel and the first 3 books of the Song of Ice and Fire series (I would read the 4th but I want to read it along with the 5th when it is released due to the paralell nature of the books) and I have a craving for more fantasy.
I guess I'm looking for some good, epic fantasy novels/series that don't ruin whole journey ala. The Wheel of Time series.

So far the only author I found was Gene Wolf, are his stories any good? Also, are there any other authors out there worth looking into?

[ August 01, 2006, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: Alchemist449 ]

Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Um ... I'm assuming you mean, besides Orson Scott Card?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
We had a forum member recently compile a truly impressive list of Hatrack fiction recommendations. Unfortunately I lost my bookmark to the page he'd created to house the list. Anybody else have the link?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
Um ... I'm assuming you mean, besides Orson Scott Card?

Orson Scott who?
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kaminari
Member # 9622

- posted      Profile for kaminari   Email kaminari         Edit/Delete Post 
Have you read anything by R.A. Salvatore?
Posts: 97 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
We had a forum member recently compile a truly impressive list of Hatrack fiction recommendations. Unfortunately I lost my bookmark to the page he'd created to house the list. Anybody else have the link?

Here ya go.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

Thanks Cap'n.

You know, I haven't seen Euripides around in a bit. Anybody know what happened to him?

Alchemist449
Member # 8808

- posted      Profile for Alchemist449   Email Alchemist449         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kaminari:
Have you read anything by R.A. Salvatore?

I've read most of his Drizt Do'urden (is that it?) and enjoyed it up to the last 2 sets. I thought they became repetitive during the Sea of Swords novel.

Thanks for the list it's a lot of help.

Posts: 31 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I recommend Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
I recommend Curse of Chalion and Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.

I very much second that. Some of the best I have ever read, hands down, and I have read a ton of it.

I have over 1400 books in my library, and that doesn't include the two boxes of books the Army lost when I shipped home. [Frown]

About 900 of them are fantasy novels.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Since you like the Ice and Fire series, you might enjoy Robin Hobb's books. At least, *I* really like both Hobb and Martin, and Martin says on his site that he really likes Hobb's books, therefore you might too. [Smile]

I'd recommend starting with Assassin's Apprentice, which opens the first of three related (and excellent) trilogies.

Her newest book, Shaman's Crossing, is also very good, but that trilogy isn't complete yet. The second book is supposed to be released in a month or so.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brinestone
Member # 5755

- posted      Profile for Brinestone   Email Brinestone         Edit/Delete Post 
I highly recommend Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn, but it's just out, so it may be hard to find in libraries.
Posts: 1903 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Frisco
Member # 3765

- posted      Profile for Frisco           Edit/Delete Post 
I have one that involves Natalie Portman, Cate Blanchett, my 4th grade teacher, and the Egyptian wing of the Metropolitan Museum of Art.

It's a good one.

Posts: 5264 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Allegra
Member # 6773

- posted      Profile for Allegra   Email Allegra         Edit/Delete Post 
I recomment Marion Zimmer Bradley's Darkover series, especially the later part.
Posts: 1015 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
I suggest reading the Otherland series by Tad Williams, even though some people will probably remind me that that particular series isn't exactly fantasy.
By the same author: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn.
Or if you're more into fastpaced action you could try Raymond E. Feist.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Songs of Earth and Power by Greg Bear is pretty good. It's a bit older, though, and I'm not sure how easy it is to find. At least, my local library got rid of its copy.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Da_Goat
Member # 5529

- posted      Profile for Da_Goat           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
does anyone know any good fantasy?
Imagine yourself in a strawberry field, chasing puppies with Dennis Rodman and Karen Carpenter...

...Oh, wait. You mean a book.

Posts: 2292 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Magson
Member # 2300

- posted      Profile for Magson   Email Magson         Edit/Delete Post 
Heroes Die, by Matthew Woodring Stover. Excellent!
Posts: 1323 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
solo
Member # 3148

- posted      Profile for solo   Email solo         Edit/Delete Post 
Gene Wolfe is a great author. I highly recommend his Book of the New Sun. I also really enjoyed The Knight but haven't yet read The Wizard.
Posts: 1336 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Try the classics. Well annotated, they can be a challenge to get through, but they give great bragging rights once done.

1) La Morte De Arthur.
2) Don Quixote
3) The Oddysey
4) Gilgamesh
5) Beowulf
6) A Mid Summer's Nights Dream
7) The Illiad
8) Any and all Icelandic Epic
9) The Aenid
10) The Tempest (by Willy Shakeswhatever)

Bonus--Spencer's Fairy Queen.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ron Lambert
Member # 2872

- posted      Profile for Ron Lambert   Email Ron Lambert         Edit/Delete Post 
My favorite fantasy author is L.E. Modesitt, Jr.

His fantasy series include the "Recluce" novels, "The Spellsong Cycle," and "The Corean Chronicles." There are 13 novels in the Recluce series, five in the "Spellsong Cycle," and six in the "Corean Chronicles."

Modesitt also has written numerous science fiction novels as well.

Here is a link to a site that lists Modesitt's fantasy books both in order of publication, and in chronological order according to the story line: http://www.travelinlibrarian.info/recluce/

Modesitt works out a very consistent and interesting paradigm for each of his fantasy worlds and the way that magical powers work in them. His fantasy would probably be categorized as "sword and sorcery." But there is a great depth to the stories.

[ August 02, 2006, 06:53 PM: Message edited by: Ron Lambert ]

Posts: 3742 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dog Walker
Member # 8301

- posted      Profile for Dog Walker           Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest reading the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen R. Donaldson or The Vlad Taltos series by Steven Brust.

As for classics is there any other James Hilton fans? I thought the novel Lost Horizon was great but have yet to find someone who has that same opinion. Maybe it is because his novels are comprehenable on the first try. [Smile]

Posts: 86 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
I have this one about two french maids...and..what..Oh...not that type of fantasy? Sorry...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.