FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Library Thing

Author Topic: Library Thing
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Have any Hatrackers tried the Library Thing site yet? It's sort of like Flickr, but for books instead. I just started playing with it yesterday, and I'm finding it vastly entertaining so far. It seems like something folks here would enjoy too, so I thought I'd share. [Smile]
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
That's really awesome; thanks! I'll be playing with it tomorrow. I'm most looking forward to the recommendations.
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
What a cool site! Thanks Nell! I've been having fun browsing it, and am considering signing up for an account, although the fact that they only allow 200 titles in a person's library before they start charging is unfortunate.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Yeah, that part does stink, but I guess they're figuring that for the average person, 200 books is a lot. I'm thinking about signing up for a second account so I can divide my books between For School and Not For School, or something like that. Something about making big geeky lists with links and cover pics just makes me happy.
Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Nell, that's an excellent idea. I'll keep one side for the philosophy and theology books and the other side for everything else.

I was just going to cave and get the lifetime account if I continued to enjoy it, but I think I like your way better.

(If I really love the site, I'll probably end up buying an account to support it.)

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

- posted      Profile for Sharpie   Email Sharpie         Edit/Delete Post 
John and I LOVE this site. We paid and have no regrets. The author/developer/guywhocameupwithit is still working on it, all the time, I think. New stuff, tools, social networking.

I love this site.

It's only 25 bucks for a lifetime membership, btw.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I'm pretty sure I'll end up getting the lifetime membership eventually, but that'll have to wait until I have the money and space to start buying books willy-nilly again. My collection as it stands has quite a few gaps in it, but alas, my shelves are full and my wallet is empty.
Celaeno
Member # 8562

In case anyone's interested, I created a Hatrack group. I was curious as to what books other jatraqueros owned, and it would be interesting to see the statistics.

I didn't put much in the description, but we can always add to it.

I'm Kara. [Smile]

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

I was thinking about doing that too. I'm nellgwyn, in case you couldn't guess. [Wink]
theCrowsWife
Member # 8302

- posted      Profile for theCrowsWife   Email theCrowsWife         Edit/Delete Post 
Heh. I just doubled the number of books in the group by joining. I'm jaegerthewolf.

I found LibraryThing about six months ago or so, and I think it's great. We probably have around 1000 books, although I've only catalogued the scifi and fantasy shelves (over 200 books).

I like to use it to keep track of library books that I currently have checked out. I also use the Currently Reading widget on my blog.

--Mel

Posts: 1269 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sharpie
Member # 482

We're mosaic42 (John's and my combined library).
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I just created an account and joined the group. I only had time to catalog 39 of my books, but I intend to get my entire collection on here eventually. I think I'll just buy a membership--this is a site I'd like to support.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

*bump*

For those who might not have seen this before. [Smile]

vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Is there an easier way to add books? It's getting rather tedious to have to do a new search for each individual book.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Maybe try searching for the author if you have a bunch by the same person (e.g. OSC)? But then it ends up finding every ISBN published under that author's name, including the translations and such.

I ended up mostly searching either the title by itself or the author + a keyword from the title to weed out the other stuff. But I like looking things up and cataloging them - adding books and finding the right covers kept me quite happily nailed to my desk for a whole evening.

zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
It will pull up all the books from one author, but it will only let you choose one at a time. You have to keep going back and re-entering information. There should be a way to check all the books in a search list that you want to add.
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
maui babe
Member # 1894

- posted      Profile for maui babe   Email maui babe         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm lbelle20. I'm at work, so I can't do much now, but I'll add more later. This is cool.

zgator - If you hold down the shift button you still have to choose each book separately, but your search window will stay up.

Posts: 2069 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Yeah, that would be more convenient. I think I might email them and suggest it. Or at least suggest that a cookie of some sort be added so the original search doesn't disappear when you hit the back button.

They do have a Universal Import feature that does mass imports from Amazon and such, but since I've acquired most of my books from other places and didn't already have them catalogued anywhere, that feature isn't much use to me.

Edit: Oh, why didn't I think of that?? Now I feel silly; I do that all the time on other sites. Thanks, maui babe! [Smile]

Sharpie
Member # 482

We use the ISBN number -- it's very quick and easy that way...
zgator
Member # 3833

- posted      Profile for zgator   Email zgator         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks maui babe!
Posts: 4625 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I started an account, put in 200 books, and joined the Hatrack group. I'll wait and see if it's worth it to pay for more. I enjoy this kind of site. It reminds me of Audioscrobbler/Last.FM, which is basically the same thing, but for music, and rather than cataloguing what you own, a plugin for your media player sends what you're listening to over to the page, and it's all compiled and whatnot, then sorted into categories such as recently listened, favorite artists, favorite songs, recommendations and all sorts of other things. They're both cool sites.
Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started an account and joined the hatrack group. I'm not anywhere near done cataloging my books, though. I got distracted playing around on the site.

Edit: I just joined a needlearts group, and on the shared book list the first book was Shadow Magic by Patricia Wrede! I've never met anyone other than me that even knew it existed, but it's the most popular book in the needlecrafts group!

I definately love this site.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rappin' Ronnie Reagan
Member # 5626

- posted      Profile for Rappin' Ronnie Reagan   Email Rappin' Ronnie Reagan         Edit/Delete Post 
I just joined the group. I'm jadziadax.
Posts: 1658 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

Oh, I never said who I am.

I'm Lynnet

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
Nell, I'm going to lightly slap you when I finally meet you. This site is addicting. I'm at just under 200 books and I KNOW I'll be signing up for a lifetime membership sometime this year. [Smile] I just love it! I'm joining the group and I'm cecilyk.
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

[Razz] I know, isn't it? I had to put my additions on pause until I reorganize and enlarge my bookshelves (they're currently overflowing), and then I'll be getting the lifetime membership too. That site rocks! [Smile]
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
GwenLeo, and I'm officially a jatraquera now. I'm sure I'll be signing up for a lifetime membership sometime too. Right now most of my books are in boxes, so I'm only adding the ones that I have out (and of those, I'm not adding ones I haven't read or ones I bought for classes). Can't wait til I actually have bookshelves.
This is so much better than that index-card thing I was going to do...

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
OH dear, I joined, same username as here.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
If you look on this page, it shows Orson Scott Card as #11 in the list of authors with most books registered on the site. He's above Robert Jordan, Bradbury, Heinlein, George R. R. Martin, Clancy, LeGuin, John Grisham and...Dan Brown. [Big Grin] I'm kind of proud of that. (I guess J.K. Rowling will be at the top of this list forever.)
Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Narnia, I'm sad that your book list is private, I'd love to see what we have in common.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
I was just comparing my list of books (in my head) to everyone else's catalogues on the site in our group for a post, and I realized I need to make a wish list on here.
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

You know there's a group where you can post things you wish they'd add.

I think that sounds really cool as well. I've always thought about starting an Amazon wish list, but I can never think of what I want right off the top of my head. One on LibraryThing would be so much better.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.