FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Computer air circulation question

Author Topic: Computer air circulation question
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
Howdy....

I've had my desktop for about 4 years. It was built by a friend that I'm no longer in contact with. In fact, I don't even know HOW to contact him anymore.

In the last year, several of my fans have clogged. Now, normally, this wouldn't phase me. The problem is that some of the fans that I replaced have also become clogged.

Now, when I replaced the first fans, I also bought a can of air and blasted the whole thing (kicking up a lot of dust). Could this be the cause of everything becoming clogged again so quickly? Is this a symptom of a bigger problem? How much could I expect a computer store to charge me for a good physical cleaning? Any advice?

Thanks

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not very ESD safe, but I stick the end of a vacuum hose into the bottom of the case while I'm blowing everything out. I'll also stick the hose against the fans and let it suck the dust off them. I wouldn't get too near any circuit boards with this method though.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
Buy filters for the negative side of all case fans.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd suggest you analyze where your computer sits. I normally blow out my machine about once a year (it sits on my desktop away from much dirt/dust). If you store your tower on the floor or near a fan, for example, you should blow it out more frequently. Basically, the dirtier/dustier the area - the more dirt/dust is going to get into your computer. All your fans are blowing out, right (so you're not actually sucking in dust with them)?
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mathematician
Member # 9586

- posted      Profile for Mathematician           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, they're all blowing out. We just moved and now my computer is sitting on the floor next to a wall. Is this a bad place? Before, it was sitting on the ground but not near any walls. Is this a better approach?

Also, how much $$ am I looking for for filters?

Posts: 168 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
The filters are really cheap. You'll have to clean them out or replace them more often than before, but they're cheaper than new case fans.

What difference does it make if the fan is blowing out? The air still has to come from somewhere and it will still bring in dust.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ludosti
Member # 1772

- posted      Profile for ludosti   Email ludosti         Edit/Delete Post 
I was just thinking that if he has multiple fans blowing in and it's sitting on the floor, you would be more actively pulling carpet lint and such into your computer.
Posts: 5879 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.