FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Traveling Europe

Author Topic: Traveling Europe
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I leave on Monday for three days of London fun. Then we spend a week in Prague. After that, we're looking to spend a few nights in another city. We've trying to decide between Munich, Vienna, and Berlin.

We don't care much about nightlife. After a week and a half, we'll probably be partied out anyway. We'd like a place with personality that's relatively safe for two college-aged girls to be wandering alone. We'll be traveling by train from and back to Prague.

Any suggestions?

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Vienna is beautiful to just walk around and enjoy during the day. Lots of musuems and opera. Not sure about about the nightlife.

Munich has a great park in the middle of city, and lots of fun little shops in the center of town. Big on beer.

Berlin strikes me as more of a modern, gritty city. I haven't spent a lot of time there. But there's also a lot of Nazi/Cold War, government type buildings and memorials to see.

Edit: Overall, I'd go with Vienna. If you're looking for a nice place to stay, I know of a great little bed & breakfast owned by a lady with a big dog. It's not in the center of town, but close to the rail, and not that expensive, as I recall...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
I liked Munich a lot better than Berlin, and I was 15 when I went, so nightlife wasn't an issue. [Razz] But I remember the people being really friendly.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't been to any of those, but if I were in your shoes (I wish!) my order of preference would probably be Munich and Vienna tied, then Berlin. I've heard that Vienna is really expensive (especially compared to Prague, although it's probably starting to catch up), but I guess Germany isn't exactly cheap either.

Are you going to do any day trips from Prague, like Castle Karlstejn or Cesky Krumlov? Actually, if you decide to go to Vienna, I think Krumlov might be on the way, depending on your train route, but it's probably a bit far for a day trip.

*restraining self from going all travel-planning geek*

Have fun and be careful! I'm so jealous!

[Razz] <-- That's me, green with envy.

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
No advice, but what you've got planned already sounds like a lot of fun. Have a great time!
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

No no, Nell! Please go all travel-planning geek on me. I have no idea what we'll be doing for the week. We've all been so busy that we haven't gotten together at all to work on this. Any suggestions you have would be greatly appreciated.

And I promise to come back with lots of pictures for everyone.

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Could you rent a car and drive for three days, with as little plan in mind as possible? I drove across Wales that way once, and it ended up being much more fun than the scripted parts of my trip.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Noemon:
Could you rent a car and drive for three days, with as little plan in mind as possible? I drove across Wales that way once, and it ended up being much more fun than the scripted parts of my trip.

/seconded

Especially since we both know you'll be back again, and soon.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

...that's an amazing idea. I'll look into it.
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

That would be incredibly fun! One of the reasons I asked about daytrips is that I've heard a week is a bit much to spend in just Prague. If you discovered you'd already seen all you wanted, you could leave and go exploring ahead of schedule.

But I think it'd still be a good idea to have some sort of a destination in mind when you leave the city. From what I understand, English becomes dramatically less common outside of Prague, and I'd hate to be lost with nowhere to stay under those circumstances.

Do either of you have a guidebook? The maps and the Czech phrases would probably be really useful. (Unless one of you already speaks Czech.) Plus I always like knowing more about whatever it is I'm seeing, even if I don't figure out what it was till afterwards.

And I'm assuming you already know where you're staying, right?

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Catch a play a Globe. If not there, then go to a show at the RSC, Royal Shakespeare Company, or something. Not to be missed when you are in London. Wish I was there now!
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
You up for coffee or something?
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Nell, between the four of us, we have three guidebooks. Unfortunately, I'm the only one without her own, so I might stop by a bookstore later tonight.

Orincoro, I fully intend to do just that. I saw both A Midsummer Night's Dream and Thomas More by the Royal Shakespeare Company in Stratford and The Taming of the Shrew by a traveling company last summer. I'd love to see another.

Lissande, sure, time permitting. Are you in London?

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't answer this if you don't feel comfortable, but...

How much are you spending on this trip? I ask because I'd like to go on this type of trip myself in a year or so, and I'd like to know how much money I need to save up, etc.

I vote for Munich, I've always wanted to go there, it seems like the kind of city you can get lost in (in a good kind of way).

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Let's see...

Airfare between California to London: $1000
Airfare between London to Prague: $300
Hostel in London, three nights: $100
Hostel in Prague, seven nights: $100

This doesn't include food, activities, and whatever traveling we do for the last three days.

I would guess that it'll come out to about $3k altogether.

I hope that helps. [Smile]

[ August 03, 2006, 08:19 PM: Message edited by: Celaeno ]

blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
It does, a lot. Thanks!
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lissande:
You up for coffee or something?

A Hatracker in London?? I thought I would the onliest one. I'll be there in a year, admissions permitting! Yay!

(5th year of college if anyone is keeping score, I want to graduate from Kings College).

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Celaeno - Nope, in Prague. (Sorry, Orin [Smile] ) I figure a whole week gives us some leeway for schedules and stuff. Are you real? The only Hatrack person I've met (other than the ones I introduced) is Ophelia. She can vouch for my city tours. [Big Grin] My email's in my profile, if you're interested.
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

Once I have a better idea of where I'll be when, I'll shoot you an email. [Smile]

If the San Francisco plans work out for Sunday, I'll be real by the time we meet.

Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

Celaeno, I didn't have a chance to get back to this thread till today, but I just wanted to say have fun on your trip and stay safe! [Smile]
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
So I feel terrible that I can't be more specific (this was about 10 years ago) but somewhere on our trip either before or after we hit Prague we checked out one of Mad king Ludwig's castles, this one was a half-finished replica of Versailles but was a fascinating site to see, and might be somewhere in range (though I do remember it being a bit out away from the cities, so if you're just doing trains etc it might not be an option)
Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.