FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Iraqi's march for Hezbolah; exploding roads?

Author Topic: Iraqi's march for Hezbolah; exploding roads?
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/04/iraq.main/index.html

Interestingly enough there are not any American flags being burned at this demonstration.

Seems like the Iraqi clerics are denouncing Israel for their bombing of Lebanon rather then simply saying that Israel needs to be destroyed.

I can't say I know what these Iraqi clerics suggest Israel do instead, but I was wondering about something else:

http://edition.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/08/04/mideast.main/index.html

What is the strategic purpose of Israel destroying roads, especially in northern Lebanon? I thought most of the fighting was in the south, in order to create a buffer zone against further missile attacks. Can anybody illuminate my understanding on the matter?

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Possibly so Hizbollah can't escape by going north and out of the country? Just an uneducated guess.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
Also to block (or attempt to block) supply chains, especially for arms supplies.

Maybe they think this will put pressure on Lebanon's govt to reign in Hezbollah, as if they could.

Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Logistics, presumably. Hezbollah has to be getting ammunition and food from somewhere. Blown-up roads make it tougher to transport.

Mind you, I do think this might actually be the Israeli army thinking in terms of fighting another army. A guerrilla force like Hezbollah doesn't have anywhere near the amount of logistics that a real army does; no tanks, for one thing, meaning a saving of thousands of gallons of fuel. Against a regular army, bombing roads to the rear might be actually crippling; against Hezbollah, I suspect it'll be an annoyance at most.

Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Logistics, presumably. Hezbollah has to be getting ammunition and food from somewhere. Blown-up roads make it tougher to transport.

Mind you, I do think this might actually be the Israeli army thinking in terms of fighting another army. A guerrilla force like Hezbollah doesn't have anywhere near the amount of logistics that a real army does; no tanks, for one thing, meaning a saving of thousands of gallons of fuel. Against a regular army, bombing roads to the rear might be actually crippling; against Hezbollah, I suspect it'll be an annoyance at most.

Interesting, thanks KOM.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I find it ironic that the IDF bothers to drop leaflets to warn people. They've bombed or blockaed every way and passage into and out of Beirut, to say nothing of the rest of the country.

What's the point of warning them if you cut off every possible escape route?

"What? we killed civilians in that last round of bombings? Well we warned them to get out, I guess they must be terrorists or sympathizers themselves. Oh well."

I know it isn't really that blunt, but I also don't know what they expect when they do something like that. They can't claim the high ground for dropping leaflets if they besiege the city and remove all possibility for escape.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Missiles are coming into the war zone from somewhere. Most suspect Syria to the North. Destroy the roads and the missiles don't make it, hopefully.

I am also worried about the disconnect between Isreal's Psy-Ops and their Airforce. At least I hope it was a miscommunication, and not a plan of action. The Psy-Ops people spent a large amount of energy and time telling all Lebonese Civilians to leave their homes and head north. The Airforce was at the same time destroying any moving vehicles and many people on those roads.

That is the report I heard on the news. How accurate it is I do not know.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
The other reason to cut off transportation is to keep foreign fighters (read: Iranian and Syrian covert agents) from getting in or out. We know that Iranian elite soldiers are in Lebanon already helping Hezbollah set up missiles. There was also the danger that the kidnapped Israeli soldiers could be transported our of Lebanon at the start of the conflict.
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

quote:
Originally posted by Edgehopper:
The other reason to cut off transportation is to keep foreign fighters (read: Iranian and Syrian covert agents) from getting in or out. We know that Iranian elite soldiers are in Lebanon already helping Hezbollah set up missiles. There was also the danger that the kidnapped Israeli soldiers could be transported our of Lebanon at the start of the conflict.

they only just blew up the roads in the north. I think if they were going to move the Israeli soldiers they would have had plenty of time, and would have done it by now.
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
I find it ironic that the IDF bothers to drop leaflets to warn people. They've bombed or blockaed every way and passage into and out of Beirut, to say nothing of the rest of the country.

And it's not like there was a day or three between the leafleting and the first attacks.

Oh, wait. There was.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hezbolah
quote:
Hizbollah
Whoever named Hezbollah wasn't thinking about how easy it would be for people to spell its name.

[Wink]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
At least, not in English.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Hence the [Wink] , rivka.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.