FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » V for Vendetta (possible spoilers) (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: V for Vendetta (possible spoilers)
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
rats... I don't remember things verbatim. The joke is on me!
[Smile]

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
I would argue that in the world of "V for Vendetta" the government V is attempting to overthrow is far more guilty of killing civilians and spreading terror than the man who seeks to overthrow it.

As for deaths that might have occurred due to V's actions, V gave warning of his intention to destroy Parliament, and I'm of the impression that the present legal system was not making use of the Old Bailey. And had the government not been using terror as one of its own principal weapons (and thus been afraid of anything that appeared to be mocking its power,) no civilians need have died due to V's distribution of masks, either.

To my mind, a good part of what makes a terrorist is a willingness to kill blindly to achieve goals, perhaps to the point that the killing is more the point than the stated goal. If what we typically think of as a "terrorist" in this day and age is a demolitionist, V, by contrast, was a surgeon.

[ August 08, 2006, 02:27 PM: Message edited by: Sterling ]

Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BannaOj:
In a totalitarian regime I don't believe there is much difference between a "civil" project and a "military" one. The TV anchor reading what she knows to be government manufactured lies is equally as culpable.

By saying this you are dooming everyone living in said regime to either be a co-conspirator or unemployed... what about Gordon (the TV comedian)? He was actively opposed to the regime, yet he did work at the TV station, and could as easily have been the one shot, rather than a knowingly dishonest reporter etc.

If you think this is true then legitimately everyone who works in the state would be right to fear reprisal from V. I'm not saying that there isn't a grey area (e.g. the reporter that knowingly lies for the state) but I would say there is still a largely clear distinction between actively supporting the regime (e.g. defense contractor) and just doing a job that happens to fall under the state's purview (e.g. TV camera man, power plant worker, teacher...)

I agree that most of V's actions and intent are indeed very controlled and meant only to harm the genuinely evil individuals who form the core of the government and those willing pawns who know full-well at least some portion of the evil they support. I do, however stand by the judgement that in my eyes V is still a terrorist. Perhaps a relatively begnign and good-intentioned terrorist, but a terrorist nonetheless.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Gordon only threw out the censor approved script once he knew V was real and still alive.

Yes everyone is complicit, because the choices are "co-conspirator" or "unemployed". Bad things happen when good men do nothing.

Gordon's defiance such as it was in collecting the forbidden objects was purely a selfish one, he never did much for anyone else and was acting strictly for his own self preservation until Evie.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder how that phone call went when Vader told the Emperor the Death Star had been destroyed.

As far as the terrorist thing goes, I don't think I personally have any permanent criteria on what is and isn't a terrorist. There's too much that can change from situation to situation to make any sort of clear divisions on the subject.

If V was a terrorist, then I still think what he did was good and necessary. The things he did were NOT meant to cause terror, they were meant to point out and counteract the terror that the government was producing.

What do you call a man that fights against a government that is full of terrorists?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheGrimace
Member # 9178

- posted      Profile for TheGrimace   Email TheGrimace         Edit/Delete Post 
BannaOj, then by admitting that everyone is complicit aren't you saying that in fact everyone is a valid target for V and in principle should be afraid because of his actions? Though admittedly the same line of reasoning considers everyone a combatant, so there would be no "innocents" left to be killed in a terrorist action.

While certainly some blame can be placed on the general populus for allowing these travesties to occur, I don't feel we can place equal blame on everyone.

Posts: 1038 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

I agree all blame isn't equal. However since the society as a whole shares *some* blame, the collateral damage while going for the biggest culprits doesn't bother me as much.

AJ

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
V even said in his speech to the people that while it was everyone's fault, he didn't really blame them, it was all in the past, and now it's time to stand up and correct their mistakes. He understood why they did it, and tried to make them realize it too, and understand it, and get over it.
Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
It depends on if you think the government was unjust within the film? If you think it was, then no he was a freedom fighter. The only difference between a freedom fighter and a terrorist is that the winner of the war writes the history that people will remember?

[ August 12, 2006, 04:29 AM: Message edited by: B34N ]

Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.