FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » I'll be in San Francisco August 6th to 11th (now with picture!)

Author Topic: I'll be in San Francisco August 6th to 11th (now with picture!)
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm going to San Francisco next week! Anyone live in the bay area so that I can bug you?

I'll be at Apple Computer's developer conference so if anyone wants anything developer related, let me know and I can bug Apple Engineers.

Oh, I got a new MacBook. WOW IT IS FAST!!!!!!!!

[ August 08, 2006, 01:29 PM: Message edited by: human_2.0 ]

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey!

I live about a mile from Apple headquarters. If you'd like to meet up, that'd be great, but I have no car here (home for the summer), so, um, it'd have to be somewhere close. Celaneo is the only other South Bay hatracker I know of, but she's leaving for Europe on Monday.

My boyfriend is apple crazy (and lives about 1/2 a mile from apple headquarters), so I may have to pass on your offer to him...

Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

- posted      Profile for Celaeno   Email Celaeno         Edit/Delete Post 
I know it's your first day, but if you have time on Sunday, I could meet you. If Jhai's up to it, I can swing by and pick her up and we could have a mini con. [Smile]
Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Works for me!
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Ok. From 4-7 p.m. I'll be at the Thirsty Bear downtown san fran with a bunch of other university IT people. After that I'm free. What does one do for fun in San Francisco? I'm always so busy every time I go there that I never have time to do anything fun.
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I've only been here for a few years, and I'm well outside the city. I don't know it very well at all. We could grab a late dinner or something. I always go to eat; I don't have much experience with anything else.

Jhai, do you have suggestions?

Posts: 866 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

Arg... I never go up to the city for nightlife type stuff, altho I'm sure there's tons to do. I can navigate the city pretty well, however.

I'll see what I can drag up on the internet - any choices for dinner or entertainment (bars or whatever?). Anything you'd like to see in S.F. (that's open at night) while you're here, human?

Oh, and would anyone mind if my boyfriend tags along? He's just moved to the Bay Area (we went to the same edit: college) and has been working like mad for his start-up. Raia will vouch for him as being fun! He's also technically real, as he's posted on Hatrack, and has met three hatrackers, including myself.

[ August 04, 2006, 09:28 PM: Message edited by: Jhai ]

Celaeno
Member # 8562

I'm 20, so no bars for me, sorry.

And I don't mind at all, Jhai. Sounds like fun.

Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in the city. Not sure what I have going on this Sunday, but if I'm free I'd be up for a minicon. If you're looking for places to eat I might have a few ideas.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by human_2.0:
Ok. From 4-7 p.m. I'll be at the Thirsty Bear downtown san fran with a bunch of other university IT people. After that I'm free. What does one do for fun in San Francisco? I'm always so busy every time I go there that I never have time to do anything fun.

I grew up there, but spent all my formative university years out in Davis. I would suggest seeing if you can catch a show at ACT, or just wander around china town, walk through union square, etc. If you like Dim Sum, you can get SUPER cheap and amazingly good sit-down chinese on Ocean in Chinatown. Nearer union square= more expensive and less quality. I recommend cruising through the square and seeing the giant williams-sonoma, other department stores, specialty shops etc. Or catch a fairy to Alcatraz, but that is extremely touristy.

Edit: If you're into technology, go to the Sony Metreon at Mission and Fourth. Huge state of the art theatres, FREE sampling of playstation games, and the Sony showroom, where they display all the next generation gadgets from SONY. Pretty cool, but crowded and geared to a slightly younger crowd.

Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Jhai, I don't mind at all.

Dinner sounds great! I don't care what we do! It all sounds like fun to me! I wont have a car, so if we meet outside of the city, someone will have to pick me up. I can give you my cell number if you email me at james at magnusviri.com.

Orincoro, you aren't in town?

Orincoro
Member # 8854

- posted      Profile for Orincoro   Email Orincoro         Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, and my car is with my parents in Brisbane(just south of the city)- I am taking summer sessions out at UC Davis right now, so I won't be in town.
Posts: 9912 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Celaeno
Member # 8562

I have a car and have no problem playing chauffeur, but I'm horrible at decisions, so someone else is going to have to make them.

I have only one request, and that's we don't eat Mexican food. I don't have the stomach for it.

Jhai
Member # 5633

Okay - I found a Frommer's California from '99 that has maps & lists places to eat and things to do in SF. I suggest that Celaeno pick Abhi (boyfriend) and I up around 6 p.m, so we can meet human around 7 at the Thirsty Bear (I've found it online, and it's relatively easy to get to). Mike, if you'd like to join us there, or elsewhere, please speak up. [Smile] I'd *love* to eat in Chinatown, as I haven't done that in a really, really long while, but I'm up for just about anything. I guess we can figure out what to do when we all meet up.

I don't have a cell phone, but Abhi does - if you guys will email me at jharr AT depauw.edu with your numbers, I'll create a list and send it out so we can stay connected or whatever. And I'll get proper directions to my place to Kara.

Celaeno
Member # 8562

Ooh, I've never been to Chinatown before. The closest I've come is North Beach. That sounds great to me.
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
It looks like I have stuff to do tomorrow evening, so I'll have to miss it. [Frown] Next time, I hope.
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

I'm packed.
Jhai
Member # 5633

Have a good flight! I sent out emails with phone numbers (hope you get it before you leave).

Mike - sorry to hear that we won't see you. Next time! [Smile]

human_2.0
Member # 6006

Pictures pictures pictures? (Celaeno? [Wink] )
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by human_2.0:
Pictures pictures pictures? (Celaeno? [Wink] )

She's in EU until the 22nd, so you may have to wait.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Oh yeah, duh. She told us as much. Oh well.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
Ta-Da!
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

Hey! How did you get that?
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm magic.

And observant, she posted it in a different thread yesterday. [Big Grin]

Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
Awwww [Smile]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

It was cold. Can you tell? We went to Coit tower where we could see all over (except it was dark and foggy and windy) and we just about froze solid.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.