FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » ACLU Wants Parish to Nix Katrina Memorial Cross Plan

Author Topic: ACLU Wants Parish to Nix Katrina Memorial Cross Plan
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
So…. Another goodie by the ACLU:
ACLU questions hurricane memorial
http://www.katc.com/Global/story.asp?S=5249575
ACLU Wants Parish to Nix Katrina Memorial Cross Plan
http://stoptheaclu.com/archives/2006/08/06/aclu-wants-parish-to-nix-katrina-memorial-cross-plan/
Now I’ve heard some of this point too where they’ve said that local elected people being involved made it sanctioned by the government. But that doesn’t seem to be out there much:
http://breakingnews.redstate.com/blogs/jeffmacguy/2006/aug/07/wanna_hold_elective_office

What’s the deal? I guess they’re trying to argue about the private public land thing and what not with right of ways. But still…. It seems a bit over kill.

Thoughts?

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Never one to back down, Parish President Henry “Junior” Rodriguez has a simple reply: “They can kiss my ass.”
[ROFL]

Our elected officials rule. This is even better than, "We need some mf'in busses; they need to get they ass down here."

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
The ACLU's original letter said the cross would be on public property:
http://www.laaclu.org/News/2006/StBernardChristianMemorialJul2806.htm

What I expect happened was that they made a mistake, then refused to back down because they're ninnies like that.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
when contacted and informed that the memorial was to be built on private land with private funds, their response was that since local elected leaders were involved, it gave the appearance of the state sanctioning a particular religion.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
If it's private lands and private funds, I don't care who's involved, the ACLU needs to butt out. They should have no say in how private organizations or people spend their own money on privately owned land.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
If it's private lands and private funds, I don't care who's involved, the ACLU needs to butt out. They should have no say in how private organizations or people spend their own money on privately owned land.

I typically side with the ACLU, but agree wholeheartedly with your response, Belle.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone quote an independent source on this story?
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay
Member # 5786

- posted      Profile for Jay   Email Jay         Edit/Delete Post 
KATC Channel 3 isn’t independent?

Not sure what will qualify as independent……….

Posts: 2845 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm very civil libertarian and I loves me some ACLU most of the time, but I'm totally against them on this one. Private land, private funds, butt out -- I'm in agreement with what's been said.

I looked for the story on google news, but it hasn't traveled into reliable media yet.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
I'm very civil libertarian and I loves me some ACLU most of the time, but I'm totally against them on this one. Private land, private funds, butt out -- I'm in agreement with what's been said.

I looked for the story on google news, but it hasn't traveled into reliable media yet.

Thats because your so called reliable media are loath to report anything that makes the liberal left look bad! /sarcasm off

I have been known to agree with the ACLU on occasion, this is not one of those times. I think I agree with the assesment that the ACLU misunderstood the situation, and in order to save face refused to back down.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the ACLU, but because of their contrary stances (to my own beliefs) I won't support them.

On this issue though they are dead wrong.

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
So elected officials aren't allowed to go to church anymore?

Think how surprised all of Congress will be.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
David Azureal
Member # 9307

- posted      Profile for David Azureal   Email David Azureal         Edit/Delete Post 
I learned in US history that the ACLU was formed to protect civil rights. The way I read it, they've done a lot of good work. But for the past half-year or so, the only news I've heard about them has been negative. First backing up a school that cut off a graduation student's mic because she mentioned her faith (Christianity) in her speech, and now this. I'm losing respect for this organization, fast. Does anyone else think they're jumping the gun too much, maybe teetering on the edge of extremism?
Posts: 2 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
"ACLU Wants Parish to Nix Katrina Memorial Cross Plan...What’s the deal?

Protecting the right of all citizens to travel freely. I mean how would you like to be a vampire making your nightly rounds and have your path blocked by a repelling object.

"Thoughts?"

No, gave 'em up for the summer. Thanks for asking anyway.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First backing up a school that cut off a graduation student's mic because she mentioned her faith (Christianity) in her speech, and now this
We had quite a long thread on that graduation speech, including a link to the text of the actual speech. She went way beyond "mentioning" her faith. The edited version that the school administrators would have allowed still included several mentions of her faith and what it meant to her.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Christians are constitutionally protected too.. just like the KKK (cuz the ACLU defends them, and attacks christians?) and they're not nearly as bad.

Maybe the ACLU doesn't mind christians... so long as they don't flaunt it.

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kwea
Member # 2199

- posted      Profile for Kwea   Email Kwea         Edit/Delete Post 
David, check the student speech thing out a little more throughly. The ACLU was dead on in that one, as was the school.

She didn't just mention it.

There is a huge difference between mentioning how much your faith means to you and preaching to people who don't want to listen to it. The first is fine, the other is ignorant and possibly illegal. Even if it wasn't illegal it was against the allowed standards for all students.

Particularly since the girl was warned far in advance and chose to disregard their rules.

There was a whole thread about it here at Hatrack.

BTW, welcome. [Big Grin]

Posts: 15082 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
First backing up a school that cut off a graduation student's mic because she mentioned her faith (Christianity) in her speech
That's a pretty inaccurate summation of what occured. Here's the thread we had about this. A few salient points 1) the explicit reason the student was cut off was not because she mentioned her faith, but because she deviated from the speech she had agreed to limit herself to, 2) the speech that was approved contained several mentions of Jesus and her faith, and 3) the speech she originally submitted pretty clearly crossed the line into prostylitizing. This was not so much a case of the ACLU going over the edge as it was your news source either doing a poor job of finding out the facts and/or deliberately deceiving you.

This case sounds to me like they thought they had a legitimate complaint and then when they found out that they didn't, the people in charge were too proud to say "Oops."

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
But for the past half-year or so, the only news I've heard about them has been negative.
In general, the only news you will ever hear about the ACLU is negative. That's not accidental.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Tom... are you playing the "Vast Right Wing Conspiracy" card?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's just that the positive news tends not to be half as interesting.
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Thats because your so called reliable media are loath to report anything that makes the liberal left look bad! /sarcasm off

I have been known to agree with the ACLU on occasion, this is not one of those times. I think I agree with the assesment that the ACLU misunderstood the situation, and in order to save face refused to back down.

This may be (and probably is) the case, but I can't be sure, yet. I'm just playing it safe. I'm looking at the sources of the story in newsmedia, and here's the sources that broke with the story:

Christian Broadcasting Network, VA
Beliefnet.com, NY
Stop the ACLU, PA
GOPUSA, TX

Hmm. Um, .. I'm supposing that it might be prudent to let this story age a bit before I'm sure I've got the ACLU's position and intent straight.

But if it's as initially presented, then Boo On You, ACLU.

Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Shig's right; the opposite makes for really crappy copy: "And in our breaking story, the ACLU defends someone who's obviously in the right."
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
Last year, I had two professors at law school who had worked for the ACLU. One, Burt Neuborne, was the ACLU's former National Legal Director (you may know him as the guy who defended Larry Flynt.) He was also the best of my professors, has a brilliant legal mind, and was hard for even a right-winger like me to disagree with.

The other was my Lawyering professor, a pompous ass who had worked the last 5-10 years at the Hawaii ACLU. The guy was obsessed with the figments of leftist imagination and at one point insinuated that I was sexist in a meeting of 4 students.

I guess the point is...the ACLU is a pretty varied organization. One state's director may be a jerk, while the national office can be perfectly reasonable. The big thing to watch for here is whether the national ACLU says anything.

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.