FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What are you favortie valuable yet awkward questions?

Author Topic: What are you favortie valuable yet awkward questions?
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to ask people questions that they aren't used to hearing but are valuable for hearing their answers anyways. It makes me look quite odd but I feel it's a good way of learning about others.

I think my favorite is: "Hey [insert name], how's your life going?"

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
"What makes you ask that question?"

the [Eek!] look that follows is priceless.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Someone once told me that when someone asks you a question you're not sure if you want to answer just reply with 'Why do you ask?'. A variant of mackillian's post, but they're right - the look is priceless.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
My son always asks people he's never met before: "What are your hopes dreams and aspirations?"

And on parting he says: "May your hopes dreams and aspirations be manifest."

He rarely gets to say both to the same person, however.

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shawshank
Member # 8453

- posted      Profile for Shawshank   Email Shawshank         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm... I like that one Glenn.

Last summer (when I was 16) they were trying to get me to stop sounding like a bad 1950's sitcom (I was infatuated with the world "swell") and I was at TiP (a program basically that can be summed up as "nerd camp") and my friends had me introduce myself to some girl. So of course I said something stupid just to annoy them- they explained to the girl what they were doing. And agreed to be someone I could experiment on.

SHe said afterwards that at a place like that it's better because I could go up and ask "What's your favorite kind of bacteria?" and it not be so bad.

Posts: 980 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
How's your girlfriend doing? [Wink]
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tstorm
Member # 1871

- posted      Profile for Tstorm   Email Tstorm         Edit/Delete Post 
I always liked facing the akward question of "What do you know?"

My response, with a solemn, knowing look..."More than you think."

Posts: 1813 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents say that one of the questions I asked all the time when I was young was 'What matters?'. I think I should ask that question more often...
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tstorm:
I always liked facing the akward question of "What do you know?"

My response, with a solemn, knowing look..."More than you think."

My response is usually "Not much." Then again, most of the time the question is actually more of an exclamation ("What do you know!").
Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
suminonA
Member # 8757

- posted      Profile for suminonA   Email suminonA         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice thread! [Smile]

My favorite "awkward" question is: "How do you see the Big Picture of the Universe and your place in it?"

Of course, I rarely get the full answer (because it is usually quite complex), but then again, my point is to make people think about it.

I also like to set improbable "What if you wake up one day and [...] ?" scenarios, to see if people are able to think "outside the box". [Wink]

A.

Posts: 1154 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
"Would you rather bite your own pinkie off your hand and eat it, or eat a bucket of lard?"

I find it quite entertaining to play the "Would you rather BLANK, or eat a bucket of lard?" game.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mike
Member # 55

- posted      Profile for Mike   Email Mike         Edit/Delete Post 
Would you rather the imperial death march play every time you walk into a room, or change gender every time you sneeze?

Actually, I'm not sure how valuable that question is.

Posts: 1810 | Registered: Jan 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Launchywiggin
Member # 9116

- posted      Profile for Launchywiggin   Email Launchywiggin         Edit/Delete Post 
After already meeting someone, after a few minutes, I ask "Now...really, who ARE you?"

Most people respond dumbfounded and just say "what do you mean?", but every now and then, I meet someone who knows exactly how to answer that question. (and I've found a friend)

Posts: 1314 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carrie
Member # 394

- posted      Profile for Carrie   Email Carrie         Edit/Delete Post 
"So. What's your story?"

Or, "What are you thinking right now?"

Posts: 3932 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
What would you do for a Klondike bar?
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Were I to hand you a ham sandwich, would you eat it?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
Where do you see yourself in five years?
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by Boris:
What would you do for a Klondike bar?

I hope no one finds this offensive, but I saw my favorite T-shirt ever yesterday. On the front it says "What Would Jesus Do" and on the back it says "For A Klondike Bar?"

(/nonsequitur)
[Big Grin]

Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
[ROFL] at Javert

My question, usually upon first meeting someone:
"Wow, it's you. Do you remember that night in Paris? The moon, the champagne, the magic in the air?"

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Nice jacket. Who shot the couch?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
I once claimed the ultimate pickup line--"Hey you wanna >>>>". I claimed that 75% of the time I'd get shot down. 24% of the time I'd get slapped. But 1% of the time--ooh that 1%.

I never put said plan into action, but I described it to a friend who loved it so much, he spread the idea around. It became "Dan's Question."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
citadel
Member # 8367

- posted      Profile for citadel   Email citadel         Edit/Delete Post 
"So, what kind of weed-killer do YOU use"?
Posts: 89 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandfather (obm) used to call, and when I'd answer the phone, he'd say, "What's the good word?" I never knew how to respond to that. I thought of numerous smartass answers, but never had the guts to actually use one.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
My wife asks me a lot "What are you thinking?"

She doesn't seem to understand that men can answer "Nothing" and not be lying. Women are thinking of something all the time, but men can switch off their brains at will.

It's a gift... and a curse.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mackillian:
"What makes you ask that question?"

the [Eek!] look that follows is priceless.

When my aunt asks my dad a bunch of questions (which she loves to do) he asks if she is writing a book.

When she (inevitably) answers yes, he tells her to leave that chapter out.

I don't know how many times I have heard that exchange over the years.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mackillian
Member # 586

- posted      Profile for mackillian   Email mackillian         Edit/Delete Post 
A single raised eyebrow is also one very valuable questioning tool.

Especially when you don't say anything.

For a little while.

And the person you're looking at starts freaking out and will blabber about anything just to get you to stop.

Posts: 14745 | Registered: Dec 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

She doesn't seem to understand that men can answer "Nothing" and not be lying. Women are thinking of something all the time, but men can switch off their brains at will.

So true

I don't really have a favorite ackward question, but I frequently come up with out there questions on the spot. I can't really think of any off the top of my head.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

For a little while.

And the person you're looking at starts freaking out and will blabber about anything just to get you to stop.

It also helps if you are casually but menacingly and visibly holding your staff weapon.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

quote:
Originally posted by ketchupqueen:
quote:

For a little while.

It also helps if you are casually but menacingly and visibly holding your staff weapon.
Your staff weapon...a weapon in which you use against the members of your staff?

Bad boss!

Badger Lord
Member # 9637

- posted      Profile for Badger Lord   Email Badger Lord         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

For a little while.

[ROFL] That's great!!!
Posts: 1 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flaming Toad on a Stick
Member # 9302

- posted      Profile for Flaming Toad on a Stick   Email Flaming Toad on a Stick         Edit/Delete Post 
Sooo... are those real?
Posts: 1594 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
What's your favorite cheese?

I think only Fugu and blacwolve will get that but it can be funny in other contexts I guess.

Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:
quote:
Originally posted by Nighthawk:

So true

Or, you know, such crap.

For me, anyway. Pretty much the only times I'm not thinking anything are when I'm meditating particularly successfully or when I'm sleeping. It may not always be something I'm willing to share, and it may not be terribly interesting, but I'm pretty much always thinking about one thing or another.

Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
"What have you learned today" is my fave. (Always a good one for myself as well.)
Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
is your refrigerator running?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.