FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Bush hoping to amend War Crimes act

Author Topic: Bush hoping to amend War Crimes act
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Washington Post

The effect would be to decriminalize prisoner abuses that are against the Geneva Conventions, but are merely "degrading" to prisoners.

The hope is to head off potential prosecutions of CIA officers and others who are scared of being singled out in our treatment of prisoners.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Some words that come to mind include:

-- dismayed
-- appalled
-- saddened

[Frown]

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shan:
Some words that come to mind include:

-- dismayed
-- appalled
-- saddened

[Frown]

I agree.
If you can't do the time don't do the crime. It's hypocritical to let wrongdoers get away with their actions because they're on your side.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy
Member # 9384

- posted      Profile for Vast Left-Wing Conspiracy           Edit/Delete Post 
Our Fearless Leader needs to remember that any time he relaxes the restrictions on mistreatment of military prisoners, he is absolutely guaranteeing that our soliders will be subject to the same treatment when they are captured.

I've never heard of a Republican president being so anti-military.

Posts: 87 | Registered: Apr 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Con--look at the Republican's in power in the late 1920s. During WWI promises were made to all soldiers of special "bunuses" they would recieve after the war.

However after the war the Republicans took control and realized that paying these bonuses were against their agenda. They would have strained the government's purse, causing a need to raise taxes which was not good for business.

They refused to pay those soldiers.

When the soldiers peacefully protested, staging a major "Camp" outside of Washington, the Republican congress ordered a young promising Colonel--Douglas McArthur--To lead a Calvary charge through their tents, driving them away.

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, is he amending by way of congress, or with a signing statement? I can't read the news from work.
Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought he was only theoretically allowed to do signing statements on laws that come across his desk, they amount to line item vetoes.

But he isn't allowed to just change any law he wants.

Is he?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.