FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » A question about massage and money.

Author Topic: A question about massage and money.
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok heres the low down.

My office is opening a gym on the 1st floor of our office building, complete with weight machines, cardio, showers, juice bar, and a massage therapy. My wife is applying for a position as a massage therapist, but the office for the massage won't be completed for another month or so. My wife, (Tiffany) works taking inbound phone calls.

A few days ago her supervisor found out she does massage, and asked her to go on DND, (for calls) and to work on her for 10 minutes. Tiffany did a good enough job that the supervisor wanted her to work on her husband for 10 minutes. Tiffany was glad to just get off the phones, and do something different so she complied. Apparently her supervisors husband enjoyed his massage so much that both of them got 10 minute massages the next day, and the supervisor for the evening shift asked for a massage today as well.

The girls around where she works have all started asking for massages, and the supervisor because of low inbound call traffic, lets Tiffany just stay on DND while she works on these girls.

Our head of HR talked to Tiffany today, and said that they might give her company issued business cards, and for now allow her to just go around our office, and the offices next door giving 10 minute massages to employees. It sounds like they are authorizing her to charge for this service, until the massage office is completed.

Tiffany wants to charge $1 a minute. So each employee would pay $10 for a 10 minute massage.

My question is, do you think thats too little, too much, or sounds about right. Would you pay somebody (who assuming she/he was well trained) $10 to massage you for 10 minutes while you worked?

edited for grammar

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
That's about right, or slightly low (for established massage therapists (sp?)).

The chair massage I got at my old job was a buck a minute, for 15 minute blocks. I also tip (though talking to massage therapists, only about 20% of customers tip).

At the office of the massage therapist (I go a couple times a year), it ends up working out to a bit over a buck an hour, for hour-long massages. But then it's full-body, not chair.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
$1 a minute is what the parlors I see in the Loop charge, I don't have a clue what kind of arrangements the masseurs have with the facility (whether they're employees or rent a chair or whatever). I also have no idea if they offer full-body.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
If she is still getting paid salary on top of the $1 a minute I would charge more. If not, I would charge $5.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
$1 a minute is about right for short massages. You usually can't charge more than that unless you are giving long (30-60 minute) massages.

And I live in L.A., where everything is expensive. [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Boris
Member # 6935

- posted      Profile for Boris   Email Boris         Edit/Delete Post 
The therapists around here charge 25-30 for a 30 minute massage, so $1 a minute is probably pretty average...Assuming you're in Idaho, which you're not [Big Grin]
Posts: 3003 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
b boy
Member # 9587

- posted      Profile for b boy   Email b boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I honestly believe that the key to world domination is massage therapy. I get to go twice a week to the world's most amazing RMT and the going rate is $80CDN/hr. That probably works out to about $72USD/hr or $1.20/min.
Posts: 58 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
My cousin is a licensed massage therapist and she charges $35 for a half hour and $65 for one hour.
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.