FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Dragnet (1951 and 1967)

Author Topic: Dragnet (1951 and 1967)
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
For reasons that are not relevant to this thread, we rented the DVDs of the series Dragnet. There were two on TV and an earlier radio drama of the same name. All were produced and starred Jack Webb as Sgt. Joe Friday of LAPD.

If you've never seen or heard it, you probably still know the opening lines:

"This is the city...
Los Angeles California."

It's also where we get other interesting pieces of our cultural lexicon, most notably:

"The names have been changed to protect the innocent."

It is a really fun show to watch, even though some of the topics and dialog are laughably dated. Los Angelinos would particularly enjoy seeing the city in its pre-freeway days (or at least back when the freeways were two lanes in each direction. The show was shot with lots of exteriors in and around LA. Almost no sets were used except for the Police station and proabably a few back-lot or sound stage pieces. But all the outside travel is right there in LA.

We have enjoyed seeing the different portrayals of police tactics between the 1951 series and the 1967 one. In particular, we were shocked at the treatment of arrestees in the earlier show. Fisticuffs and badgering were just expected. The 1967 show, in contrast, had people getting read their Miranda rights and even being asked if they understood them.

It's also interesting to learn things about drug laws back then. Marijuana was illegal, but LSD was too new. You could sell it, use it, give it to children. They would charge you with "behaving in a manner likely to lead to dissolute lifestyle" or some such thing. It was weird.

Anyway, it's not the sort of thing I would watch a lot of, but it sure is interesting in a time-capsule kind of way.

And Jack Webb was the original age-less actor. He looks just about the same in 1967 as he did in 1951.

Webb died in 1982 while working on a 4th incarnation of Dragnet.

Anyway, I just think these shows are worth a look or two. I think the 1967 series is more "watchable" for today's audiences, but it sure is dated even at that.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
I have some episodes on dvd, they were $1 at Wal Mart! I agree, really fun. I grew up on the 80's* incarnation, which was very different. I spose they were the day's version of shows like CSI and Law & Order.

* Edit: Erm, maybe I meant the 1960s version? I have no idea. I remember the "to protect the innocent" line, and the song, and the two cops walking out of a huge concrete building with very blue suits on.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I used to listen to radio dramas on a local station that has old radio shows on every night. Great stuff.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Oooh, I'd love to hear the radio shows.

Myrddin, I'm pretty sure that you must have the 1967 version. There was supposed to be a 1983 version but Webb died of a heart attack during the preliminary work-up. He was going to have Kent McCord (from his hit show Adam-12) as his partner.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Woah, what?

I think I'm getting my Dragnet viewing confused with .. was it Mathnet? Whatever the parody was on that brain kid's show thinggah. But I still watched it, I thought it was a color version but the internet is not confirming this.

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Yeah, must have been 1967! (stupid lag!)
rivka
Member # 4859

*giggle*

Yes, Myr. Mathnet. On Square One TV.

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Yes! YES! That's where I got the blue suits and 80's idea from!! The rest of Square One TV scared me in the way the Pink Elephants song from Dumbo scared me, but Mathnet was AWESOME!
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Bob, you might check to see if your library has copies of the old radio shows; when I was a kid I checked out tapes of radio shows all the time. Mostly Inner Sanctum, but there was the occasional Dragnet that made it into my pile.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Oh, great idea!

Who knows what audio lurks in the heart of the library?

The Shadow knows. Wha ha ha ha ha ha

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot 1987.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
No we didn't. It's next up in the netflix queue.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Who knows what audio lurks in the heart of the library?

The Shadow knows. Wha ha ha ha ha ha

Goodness I got the reference. I was born in 1990.

I really, really, really need to stop reading those books on American pop culture from before I was born.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by MyrddinFyre:
Yes! YES! That's where I got the blue suits and 80's idea from!! The rest of Square One TV scared me in the way the Pink Elephants song from Dumbo scared me, but Mathnet was AWESOME!

Actually, all of S1T was awesome.

*sings* 8% of mah love . . . !

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.