FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Most traumatic moment in a Disney classic? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Most traumatic moment in a Disney classic?
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We watched Alice's Adventures in Wonderland yesterday (it's a live-action musical from...1972 if I read the Roman numerals right) and she wasn't frightened at all throughout the whole thing.
THAT one traumatized me, and not as a child, I'm talking this year. *shudder* Same with Return to Oz. Scaaaary.

Also, I LOVED Maleficent as a kid, I wanted to BE her [Big Grin]

Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ryuko
Member # 5125

- posted      Profile for Ryuko   Email Ryuko         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Puffy Treat:
The moment where Maleficent transforms into a dragon and fights Prince Phillip remains one of the most intense fantasy battle scenes on film.

Makes me wish the rest of the film had the invention and edge that the Maleficent stuff does.

I don't know, I really thought the art style, especially in the backgrounds, was incredibly edgy. I think that's what they were going for.
Posts: 4816 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
Har-dee-har-har. [Roll Eyes] [Wink]
Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
0Megabyte
Member # 8624

- posted      Profile for 0Megabyte   Email 0Megabyte         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow, scary thought, I've seen all of the movies mentioned on this thread except Fantasia.

I think he most traumatic moment is... well, the moment they first started making direct-to-video sequels to beloved classics...

Posts: 1577 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
Aww, but I love the Aladdin sequels..

No really, I do. I own both of them.

*hides*

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard for me to recall specific scenes from Disney movies that moved me to tears, but I'll just list some of my favourites in stead.

I really love the scene in Dumbo with the crows, when he blows their minds by showing them an elephant that can fly.

I cannot claim to have seen all the Disney animated movies. I do remember that my parents took me to see several of them in the theatre. I must have been about 5 or 6 years then. Not surprisingly, these are the movies that now stick out in my mind. Most especially 'The Black Cauldron' (which is a pretty dark and scary movie all round) and 'The Great Mouse Detective'. (my first encounter with Holmes and I was sold for life). I also remember watching the second Rescuers movie on the big screen and liking it a lot.

The movies do not seem to lose any of their power to impress as I grow up.

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
My parents took my older sister to see Lady and the Tramp in the theater for its 1980 rerelease, shortly after I was born. She was eight.

During the siamese cats sequence, when the two cats are harassing Lady, my sister stood up in the theater, raised her fist in the air and yelled "Damn you cats!"

I wish I could have seen the look on my mother's face.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Disney scars another generation . . . "

Regardless whether it's Disney movies, Brothers Grimm stories told at bedtime, or whatever, children's stories have been scary, fascinating, or terrifying to children for generations.

There is a school of thought that says that children need to experience fear vicariously in order to process the emotions associated with traumatic experiences. That may explain why adults seem to delight in telling their childen scary stories (in any format), because it prepares the kids to deal with the eventual loss of Grandma. I'm pretty sure that Disney cartoons are better at doing this than to let your kid watch "BraveHeart."

Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Hehe. Makes a lot of sense, though there's always loads of literature where people say that the princess stories mess up little girls' ideas of love and dating. I wish I remembered where I had read it initially, it was an interesting essay. Though... I think Shrek 2 covers the subject quite nicely.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I love it when anime fans rip on Disney for its commercialization. It's so deliciously hypocritical.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Glenn Arnold
Member # 3192

- posted      Profile for Glenn Arnold   Email Glenn Arnold         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Makes a lot of sense, though there's always loads of literature where people say that the princess stories mess up little girls' ideas of love and dating.
Yeah, "happily ever after" stories seem to be part of a Bowdler effect. Even with all the scary parts in Disney movies, almost all of them are modified from the original story to provide a happy ending that wasn't in the original.
Posts: 3735 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
Bambi's mom didn't bother so much as that bird in the field that was warned by all its friends to stay low when hunter came, and it didn't.
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

Ditto. Traumatizingly sad!
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by kojabu:
The end of the Original Fantasia with the great big gargoyle thing had me scared when I was little. I actually don't think I've watched it yet.

Speaking of a gargoyle...

The slaughter of dozens of innocent gargoyles in the first episode of "Gargoyles" is pretty damn traumatic. Not a film--but surely a Disney classic. [Wink]

Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
The Gargoyle at the end of Fantasia is actually a demon based on Chernabog. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chernabog)

I remember not being TOO afraid of him as a child, I was in fact more..amazed (I guess is the word) that Chernabog had so much power and had so little regard for the well being of his minions. Not to mention the brief full frontal nudity of the harpies. I was suprised to see THAT in a Disney production. I liked that the rising sun drove him away. Incidentally one of my best friends parents literally live on a street on the mountain side called "Bald Mountain."

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Puffy Treat
Member # 7210

- posted      Profile for Puffy Treat           Edit/Delete Post 
You were surprised to see full frontal nudity in a Disney production?

Have you not noticed that Donald Duck has never worn pants? [Wink]

Posts: 6689 | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JLM
Member # 7800

- posted      Profile for JLM           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingCow:

During the siamese cats sequence, when the two cats are harassing Lady, my sister stood up in the theater, raised her fist in the air and yelled "Damn you cats!"

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]

I recall seeing Pinocchio as a child and my 3 year old brother at the time trying to hide underneeth the theatre seats when Lampwick turned into a donkey. We teased him for days after that.

As a kid I thought Brutus from Secret of Nyhm was scary. Today, the Queen of Hearts from Alice terrifies me because she reminds me of my mother-in-law.

Posts: 157 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
That scene in Hunchback of Norte Dame when that priest goes on about his burning desire for Esmeralda is not tramatic, it's rather cool, but not appropiate for small children.
Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

That reminds me of the fourth Harry Potter movie... the bathroom scene traumatized me.
the_Somalian
Member # 6688

- posted      Profile for the_Somalian   Email the_Somalian         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by the_Somalian:
The slaughter of dozens of innocent gargoyles in the first episode of "Gargoyles" is pretty damn traumatic. Not a film--but surely a Disney classic. [Wink]

evidence
Posts: 722 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.