FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » WTC movie

Author Topic: WTC movie
msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I have not seen any threads about this yet so here I go.

I saw this movie on Wednesday and just watched it again today with my 14 y/o.

I am not usually a fan of Oliver Stone. However, the man can make movies. I was moved like I have not been moved by a movie in a long time.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, this one looks extremely powerful, however does anyone else think that it might be a little too early to be making films about such a tragic moment?
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
It's been five years, B34N. When will it be all right if not now?
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Just a question, not a statement. Someone said they thought is was too early for his kind of thing but they were one of the people effected by the DC part of the plot. I personally don't have an opiniion on it one way or another. Just wanted to see if there were other people who thought the same way as the person from DC.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kamisaki
Member # 6309

- posted      Profile for Kamisaki   Email Kamisaki         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, okay. Well, if you couldn't guess, I don't think it's too early. But I think the more important question is how they treat the subject material. I haven't seen this movie or Flight 93, but from those who have seen them, both movies seem to have done well in this regard, ie being respectful and not using the movie to make a political statement.
Posts: 134 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JenniK
Member # 3939

- posted      Profile for JenniK   Email JenniK         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't see it.
Posts: 325 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Synesthesia
Member # 4774

- posted      Profile for Synesthesia   Email Synesthesia         Edit/Delete Post 
Me neither.
Diaster films are painful for me, but those based on real life are just excruciating... I am too sensitive.

Posts: 9942 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

yeah, I never saw flight 93 even though it was approved by the victims' familes and from what I hear it is an inspiring film that gives hope, but I doubt I will ever see, just not my sort of thing.

As for WTC I think I will probably see it, the people in New York had some serious stuff to deal with, and I know form Stone's work that he'll get the story right.

Guess I'll find out when I see the film?

msquared
Member # 4484

- posted      Profile for msquared   Email msquared         Edit/Delete Post 
I think for most people the time is right. It is a feel good movie in that you know the two main characters get rescued, but it is their determination to stay alive when all looks bleak that is inspirational.

Stone also treats the religious Marine who finds them with respect. The man feels called by God to go help and Stone does not belittle that belief.

msquared

Posts: 1907 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Irami Osei-Frimpong
Member # 2229

- posted      Profile for Irami Osei-Frimpong   Email Irami Osei-Frimpong         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes all the difference in the world to know that they make it out alive.
Posts: 5600 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm interested in seeing it only because it's being billed as an Oliver Stone film that isn't typical Oliver Stone. No tinfoil hat in this one, no "back... and to the left... back... and to the left...", no conspiracy theory. Heck, he doesn't even show the towers or the planes, or so I've heard.

I never liked his conspiracy movies. When he doesn't do conspiracy, I'll watch it.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to say that nothing about the trailers make me want to see this movie.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
The little town I live in only has one movie theater, so they don't run anything that's liable to controversial. I won't see any of these until they come out on home video.

@ Nighthawk: I have heard that certain liberties have been taken with the story in order to make it more "dramatic". I have a fear that this is just more of Oliver Stone being trapped in the 1970s trying to re-live Vietnam.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Is he donating the money or something? I think it'd be kind of wrong to profit off of tragedies, wouldn't it?
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

Gaal - Hmm, that's a really good question. But he still has to make back all the money the film cost.
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
I already saw this movie, 4 years and 11 months ago, on CNN. I can't imagine Oliver Stone and Nicholas Cage can make it any more real than it was then.

If I want to see a feel good story, I'll watch one of those Disney sports movies. I doubt I'll see this. I KNOW I won't pay to see it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
I love Oliver Stone. I don't always *agree* with him -- but as a filmmaker, from a purely cinematic standpoint, I don't think there's anyone better. He is an unbelievable talent.

So...

I saw this on Tuesday night. Some people might be ready for this movie, or need this movie, or whatever -- but not me. I'm just not into it.

It was well-made, and very dramatic and intense and emotional... But I numbed myself to the message because I'm just not ready to deal with this kind of film.

But the former marine who found them... That was absolutely the most fascinating aspect of the film. How this guy walked right through the barriers, bluffed his way onto the site, and then freakin' found them.... That was awesome.

If that part of the movie is true, whoa.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
I won't be seeing this movie.

I saw it happen on tv. It was all I watched for days. I don't personally need to see a theatrical re-enactment.

Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Palliard:
@ Nighthawk: I have heard that certain liberties have been taken with the story in order to make it more "dramatic". I have a fear that this is just more of Oliver Stone being trapped in the 1970s trying to re-live Vietnam.

Seems like they changed it and made it less dramatic if this article is to be believed!
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amanecer
Member # 4068

- posted      Profile for Amanecer   Email Amanecer         Edit/Delete Post 
I do think it's too soon. Watching the trailers made me tear up, not because of the movie but because of the memory. The emotional pull of the movie can't compete with the emotions that are tied to the events. For this reason, it feels like exploitation versus art. Others may feel differently, but I will not be seeing this.
Posts: 1947 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Amanecer:
I do think it's too soon. Watching the trailers made me tear up, not because of the movie but because of the memory. The emotional pull of the movie can't compete with the emotions that are tied to the events. For this reason, it feels like exploitation versus art. Others may feel differently, but I will not be seeing this.

I agree. To me,it feels like a commercial excuse to make a movie. Who needs to see this who didn't live through it? Are there a bunch of 6 year olds who really need to know about 9-11 now? It got to be too much when they kept showing the footage over and over for a month after. I certainly don't need to watch the whole, horrible episode again.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
If you lived through the experience and faced the brunt of the whole situation, you'd still be tearing up fifty years from now.

I'm interested in neutral representations of this event. We got all our exposure from the live news broadcasts, and let's face it: there was a lot of misinformation during those days. Granted, things arguably cleared up (conspiracy theorists not withstanding), but I'd still be interested in seeing a true to life representation, filtered for what was important and meaningful.

The TV adaptation of the flight 93 story did that, in my opinion, and it was a particularly powerful and moving piece.

I do NOT picture Oliver Stone doing anything even remotely neutral; no matter how much he tries, it's not his nature. He may not be shouting conspiracies, but he'll play the situation for the strongest emotional impact. Fligt 93 didn't do that; it told it how it was and the emotions came naturally.

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lem
Member # 6914

- posted      Profile for lem           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
, but it is their determination to stay alive when all looks bleak that is inspirational.
I think the inspirational part will depress me. I will keep thinking about the hundreds (perhaps thousands) of people with the same determination who perished.

Also, and this may sound too cliché, ever since I had my son two years ago, my stomach for gut wrenching emotional connections to understand issues has turned sour.

I used to enjoy movies like WTC because it made me feel connected to issues and other people’s plight. Now I just feel sick and want to cry. It doesn’t help me be a better, more focused, or productive person.

I was reading the news the other day about the War going on in Lebenon. I looked through the pictures and saw them pulling out the body of a boy my son's age.

T. is half Japanese and has a darker complexion then me. The boy in the rubble looked like T.--was about his age. I can still see the dead look in his eyes and I tear up...even now.

I don't see how WTC. I don't see how the movie will fill me with hope. I don't see how it will help me deal with today's issues.

Posts: 2445 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
A friend and I watched WTC as part of a double feature. We both agreed that we watched them in the right order. Talladega Nights first, WTC second.

Great movies, both of them. As far as inspiration...it reminded me (I didn't really need it, but it did) of why I do the job that I do.

Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Narnia
Member # 1071

- posted      Profile for Narnia           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I do NOT picture Oliver Stone doing anything even remotely neutral; no matter how much he tries, it's not his nature.
That's what I said. When I found out that HE would be making the first movie about the event in the city, I was rather disgusted.

But. I saw this movie and I was really surprised at how steady it was.

quote:
Stone also treats the religious Marine who finds them with respect. The man feels called by God to go help and Stone does not belittle that belief.

This also surprised me. I tried and tried to find some sense of irony or melodrama that would clue me in to what Stone was REALLY trying to say to us about the event, religion, and all that jazz. I'm easily irked by that kind of thing, and I didn't see it anywhere.

Sure, he might have played the moments to have the best dramatic impact, but what filmmaker in their right mind doesn't do that?

Unfortunately, folks think this film is a disaster movie. It isn't, plain and simple. The disaster happens in the first 20 minutes and the rest of the movie is about the two families who are affected by a small story within the disaster. Disaster movies TRY to do this most of the time, but fail miserably because they're so concerned with the visual impact of the disaster itself. This film was very matter-of-fact. The rumors about it are true. We do not see the towers fall. We don't even see the planes hit...anywhere. This movie also doesn't let us forget about everyone else who was lost. I was grateful for all of that.

And as for profits, he is donating some of them. Probably not enough, espcially as the movie really isn't making that much money at the moment.

Posts: 6415 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheHumanTarget
Member # 7129

- posted      Profile for TheHumanTarget           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
both movies seem to have done well in this regard, ie being respectful and not using the movie to make a political statement.
Shouldn't they be striving to make a political statement? I mean, neither of these events happened in a vacuum, and it seems disrespectful to present them in that manner...
Posts: 1480 | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Too soon to make a movie about this? Maybe. I mean it took 2000 years to make a movie based on the death of Christ.
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
But only a couple centuries to make a play.
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by TheHumanTarget:
quote:
both movies seem to have done well in this regard, ie being respectful and not using the movie to make a political statement.
Shouldn't they be striving to make a political statement? I mean, neither of these events happened in a vacuum, and it seems disrespectful to present them in that manner...
I think the movie is supposed to be about the courageous actions of the rescue workers, not the political actions that motivated the attack.

Thats why the politics are left out and the humanity is played up.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
BlackBlade is right. It is after all in dedication to the RESCUE WORKERS. I would've walked out in a heartbeat if a political statement was trying to be made. It's so pitiful that some people want to have a political statement made or one to appear in just any movie they see.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shepherd
Member # 7380

- posted      Profile for Shepherd           Edit/Delete Post 
I found it a poor follow up to United 93. I though United 93 was a great movie, well done, realistic, personal, and deeply human.

WTC I just found to be melodramatic and a sort of "feel good" 9/11 movie. It shows people what they want to see and nothing more.

Posts: 242 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
Hmm, I'm really glad that you started this thread. It's a discussion that I've had with many people since the trailers first started airing.

Personally I feel this movie is out way too soon. If they wanted to make something like this and have the possibility of more people wanting to see it, at least wait for the 10 year anniversary or something to that effect.

I wondered how many people would actually go and see it. I can't ...maybe won't is more accurate. I lived it, I breathed it and I was reminded day in and day out by not only of the view I had living in Queens, but trying to sneak in with my boss into our office building (which was only 6 blocks away) to get things that we needed. The smell, the taste and the feelings continue to stay with you. When I first saw the trailers for the movie, all I could say it that it was too soon, that it's only been....(then I counted on my fingers) because I couldn't believe I had to say 5 years. 5 years had passed! And it still feels like yesterday.

Maybe if you weren't directly affected it's different. But I don't think it's the right time. I mean, seeing my friend's face in the paper as one of those who had perished, and thinking of his fiancee who was heartbroken. Or sneaking into Tribecca (when you weren't allowed to go below 14th street unless you had proof that you lived there) and going to my favorite restaurant where we all hugged and took stock that we all made it. Or knowing that my friend was almost in that first triage of FDNY EMT's that were crushed. Or another friend who was the cop that had to go back to Queens to get the first load of body bags.

Sorry, didn't mean to go into all of that, I guess it really is something that just won't leave you. And I surely don't need to see Nicholas Cage (who I'm not necessarily that fond of except in a few roles) portray people that I know actually did what he's pretending to do.

I know people are talking about its production values and the uplifting aspects of it. I just don't think it's the right time due to subject matter.

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.