FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » "biggest week of public data breaches" & "1 in 3 Are Victims of Viruses, Spyware..."

Author Topic: "biggest week of public data breaches" & "1 in 3 Are Victims of Viruses, Spyware..."
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
This is a little spooky:

quote:
This was probably the biggest week in history in terms of public data breaches. That's just the tip of the iceberg. The big banks are reporting 5 to 8 fold increases in losses to cyber fraud. Federal agencies and government contractors are finding systems all over that have been penetrated with root kits and very sensitive data stolen. cyber crime is increasing at an increasing rate because it is profitable and because it provides nation state advantages. Many companies are trying to fight back by buying security tools and praying nothing happens. That is foolhardy at best and criminally negligent at worst. Their people cannot ensure a perimeter is secure, cannot find a malicious network trace; cannot run hacker tools to find weak penetration points; cannot harden a Windows or UNIX system. It's embarrassing how easy we make cyber crime.
source

And this too:

quote:
The odds of becoming a victim of viruses, spyware, or phishing are about one in three, Consumer Reports said Tuesday in its annual report on the Internet.

In addition, U.S. consumers [you and I] spent at least $7.8 billion over the last two years for computer repairs, parts and replacements, because of malware attacks, the non-profit magazine found in its 2006 State of the Net report.

The spring survey of 2,000 U.S. households with Internet access also found 20 percent without antivirus software and 35 percent without spyware blockers installed in computers.

source

The report

Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
That's interesting, and a little frightening, but I don't really trust the numbers. I don't visit that many different websites, most of which I trust, and I get a few hits on my anti-spyware every month. Saying you've been a victim of spyware doesn't mean much.

Saying you've been a victim of phishing just means you didn't know enough not to be tricked most likely, and has little to do with computer security.

Still, I've worked plenty of places with sensitive data and not enough protection. I believe that there are too many black hats and not enough white hats out there.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.