FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Three years and no one's dead yet - the anniversary thread

Author Topic: Three years and no one's dead yet - the anniversary thread
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That is all.

[Big Grin]

[ August 15, 2006, 01:13 AM: Message edited by: quidscribis ]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
It's not your hatrack anniversay - must be your wedding anniversary.

Congrats!

[Party]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
That was quick. [Big Grin] I was expecting a whole lot of Huh? and What're you talking about?s.

Sometime today - after I finish writing an article that's due today - I'll make a chocolate cake. Actually less for our anniversary and more because I'm the official cake baker of this household and everyone's nagging me for cake. [Big Grin] But I'll let it serve double duty. [Smile]

The article I'm writing is a restaurant review. Very very nice restaurant that Fahim and I went to last week. Which we didn't have to pay for, of course. Which Fahim, being the person he is, is counting as our anniversary dinner. I can't convince him to go out again.

Ah well. [Smile] If this is the worst I have to complain about (and it pretty much is) then, yeah, we're doing fine. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin]
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
[The Wave]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations! I can't believe that it's been three years since you guys got married; it seems like much more recent history than that.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Nah, it's just that you've been around forever, Noemon. [Big Grin]
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Well, my word! Congratulations! My, how time flies! *smile*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

So, for the newcomers who don't know the story, shall I provide links?

Or should I be mean and make them ask? [Big Grin]

imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations!
Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Derrell
Member # 6062

- posted      Profile for Derrell   Email Derrell         Edit/Delete Post 
[Hat] Happy Anniversary.
Posts: 4569 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Here's me...

Asking...

Loving the wave [The Wave]

and saying CONGRATS!!!

Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
Make 'em look . . . [Evil Laugh]
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! I wasn't here back then... linkie?
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
I told you already, but congratulations again. [Smile]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

It started with a trip with a layover in Hong kong for 11 hours, then there was the whole marriage proposal and plans and such. Then, of course, there's our love story, The Good Parts Version.

And the kiss... From The Last First Kiss thread... I arrived in Colombo, Sri Lanka. Departed plane, went through immigration, then customs, where there were many men with big guns, and stepped through the ginourmous empty lobby through a set of doors where Fahim was waiting for me. This is the first time we ever laid eyes on each other in real life, and we'd met online barely two months before that. Luggage in the trolly, crowds around us, we kissed for the first time.

Five minutes later - maybe longer - the guard insisted that we stop blocking traffic and move on out. Less than eight hours later, we were married.

And then there was last year's anniversary thread. [Big Grin]

Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the story of how you met. Would you please tell it again for all the new people?

Happy anniversary, Laurie and Fahim!

Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

You mean the short version? The longer version is linked above called The Good Parts Version. The summary...

I decided on June 3rd, 2003 to start a blog. As such, I did a Google search on blog software, downloaded the most favorable looking ones, and gave 'em a try. I settled on Blog. I had problems making it worked, so visited the programmer's forum on June 6th 2003. Programmer, by name of Fahim, helped me. I had other problems, so went back on June 13th. He suggested I email him directly, so I did. Then we got on chat because it would be easier to fix what's wrong - and faster, too.

Within five minutes of being on chat, I was... intrigued.

Within five days, I was in love.

Luckily, so was he.

August 12th 2003, I left Canada. August 15th 12:45am I landed. 1:45am we met. In person. For the first time. And that's the kiss I mentioned above. [Big Grin]

Eight hours later, we were married.

It would've been sooner, but our witnesses took fuhevah to arrive. [Big Grin]

AutumnWind
Member # 9124

- posted      Profile for AutumnWind           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sitting here at work with goosebumps running up and down my arms from the "Good Parts Version".

That is such a remarkable story, all the more remarkable because it's true!!

*sigh* Now I'm left with a goofy grin.

Congrats!!!

Posts: 66 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations Fahim and Laurie!
Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
larisse
Member # 2221

- posted      Profile for larisse   Email larisse         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats to Laurie and Fahim! Hope the cake was good. And other things, too. Your story is just wonderful.
Posts: 822 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

[Big Grin] Yeah, I still get goofy grins thinking about it, too. [Big Grin]

I haven't made the cake. Yet. I'll make it tomorrow, a day late and a dollar short, but it'll still be good. Not enough time, too many headaches...

Thanks for the congrats, everybody!

Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
The death threats and injuries don't start until the fourth or fifth year, anyway. Trust me.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

I guess we're fast learners, then...
BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats.... I'm so glad things have worked out for you both and am glad you are happy. I'm also glad to see you more at hatrack... I got a little worried for a while when we hadn't heard from you as you recall!

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nell Gwyn
Member # 8291

- posted      Profile for Nell Gwyn   Email Nell Gwyn         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, congratulations to both of you! [Big Grin]

And I love the how-you-met story...it's one of my favorites. [Smile]

Posts: 952 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy 'versary, Laurie & Fahim!

I had my 13th about a month ago. It can keep getting better. [Big Grin] Congratulations.

Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
Happy Anniversary [Smile]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
I like the "yet". [Smile]
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
well, congratulations quidscribis!
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
human_2.0
Member # 6006

- posted      Profile for human_2.0   Email human_2.0         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! Awesome! Congradulations!
Posts: 1209 | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

And I still haven't made the cake yet... [Razz] *sigh* There's still this afternoon...
quidscribis
Member # 5124

Cake made & iced, bread pudding, too, cuz we're going for overkill here, and the cake was excellent. As usual. [Big Grin]

Seriously, what else is there to expect from me? [Wink]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.