FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Aggressive Drivers - Your reasoning? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Aggressive Drivers - Your reasoning?
BaoQingTian
Member # 8775

- posted      Profile for BaoQingTian   Email BaoQingTian         Edit/Delete Post 
Where are you at in Utah? I was in Logan, and with about 6 months of winter with a lot of snowfall there, the bike wouldn't have worked very well year round. Once you get out of the mountains though it's better. SLC was usually 10 degrees warmer and got less snowfall then us, so maybe it would work in that area.
Posts: 1412 | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I am funny, I'm not a great person but I'm a good person (well, I'm all right), but I know I'm not a good driver.

I don't try to break the rules, but I know that I get honked at all the time. I just don't notice things, and I try to allow for the fact that I won't notice things. I stay away from other people. Except when I don't. I am trying to get better - I just don't put "good driver" on my list of personal characteristics. If it makes anyone feel better, I take public transportation (yay metro!) to work.

Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Anecdote of idiot aggressive driver that happened to me five minutes ago:

I'm in the parking lot of a local strip mall/plaza after getting crickets from Petco for my roommate's frog. I get to my car and back out, realizing as I do this that the car two spots down began backing out a second or two before I did.

I'm heading in the same direction as the other car, and that car is between me and where I'm heading. But the person backs way out and then stops, not seeming to move at all. After waiting a couple seconds, I pull past the person in the room that they left and proceed down row to the end, where I make a right turn to head towards the line of about ten cars stopped at the light for the parking lot exit.

The person behind me, apparently not happy that I drove past her, cut across the two rows between parked cars and shopping carts (it was not by any stretch an empty parking lot, and there was very little open space) at about 20 miles per hour to speed in front of me and almost hit the front of my car as she made the turn three rows spaces down.

My first thought was "where is that car going?" but as I saw her coming, I hit the brake and blew my horn. She missed the front of my car by maybe a foot and a half, with me hitting the brakes to avoid a collision. She then proceeded to give me the finger out the window and start shouting back at me (which I couldn't hear because I had the AC on and windows up).

She could do this, of course, because she was completely stopped not ten feet past where she cut me off, in the line of stopped cars at the light. She shouted back for maybe 30 seconds before the line of cars began to move.

All of that - driving 20 mph in a parking lot between closely parked cars, risking hitting parked cars and carriages, risking hitting people in the parking lot, risking smashing into the front of my car - to get one car space further forward in a line of stopped cars.

Makes me wish there was a police car cruising the lot.

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BaoQingTian:
Where are you at in Utah? I was in Logan, and with about 6 months of winter with a lot of snowfall there, the bike wouldn't have worked very well year round. Once you get out of the mountains though it's better. SLC was usually 10 degrees warmer and got less snowfall then us, so maybe it would work in that area.

Live in Provo, work in American Fork.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think I am funny, I'm not a great person but I'm a good person (well, I'm all right), but I know I'm not a good driver.
Admit it; you think you have good taste, too.
Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.