FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Merck Index

Author Topic: Merck Index
Shigosei
Member # 3831

- posted      Profile for Shigosei   Email Shigosei         Edit/Delete Post 
My brother (not Mr. Funny) is thinking about getting his girlfriend a Merck index for her birthday. The 2001 edition is considerably cheaper than the 2006. Said girlfriend will be using it for college classes such as organic chemistry. Is there any particular reason an undergraduate would need the most recent edition?
Posts: 3546 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Angiomorphism
Member # 8184

- posted      Profile for Angiomorphism           Edit/Delete Post 
There is no particular reason an undergrad would need any edition.
Posts: 441 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
There is no particular reason an undergrad would need any edition.
I'll bet you that her professor is going to ask her about the binding of alkaloids on benzodiazepine receptors. On, like, the first day. Just because you said that!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
Organic Chemistry already sucks hardcore, it's just cruel and unusual to make her carry around a 20 lb. book as well.
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
I have an older edition of the Merck in my office and have found it useful on occasion, but I'm a professor and not an undergrad. I can't think of any reason why an undergrad would need such a thing, or even find it useful unless she is involved in somesort of specialized research project.

The web has pretty much suplanted indexes like the Merck these days anyway. If her professor asks her about binding of alkaloids on benzodiazepine receptors on the first day, she can probably find the information more easily on the web more quickly and easily. Most universities will have access to the online Merck, and current copies in the library.

My edition of the Merck is at least 20 years old and still has nearly everything I've ever needed in it. But like I said, I'm much more likely to turn to the web these days than my Merck index.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.