FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question for lawyers/poli-sci types

Author Topic: Question for lawyers/poli-sci types
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
I just went through customs, coming back from Canada. My question is, why? How does this fit in with NAFTA. I am confused, which shows that I shouldn't have thought about it, just like I didn't all the other times I have passed through customs.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
NAFTA did not eliminate all duties. The last tariffs should be phasing out around this year by the treaty as implemented, but I suspect that has been modified somewhat.
Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, they have to check for prohibited items. You aren't technically allowed any fresh fruits or vegetables, in case they're contaminated, for example.
Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
EL, but they don't. Why do you have to bring a suitcase out and through customs when they don't look at it. They ask you if you are carrying fruit, but they could do that even if you didn't have a suitcase in hand.
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
fugu13
Member # 2859

- posted      Profile for fugu13   Email fugu13         Edit/Delete Post 
They check a sample of passengers going through customs, instead of all of them. Surely you saw some people having their bags checked (though I suppose the airport layout might prevent this)?

Also, it is to enforce a separation between the outside and the inside, that allows for considerably more attention to the baggage than merely transferring it between planes would.

Posts: 15770 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
In most (all) of the international airports (which is many, since I flown domestically a grand total of twice- there and back again) I've arrived at, baggage claim has been on the outside of customs proper (as in the lines and passports bit) and "anything to declare" been beyond baggage claim.

If they treat American/Canadian flights as international (do they? I can't remember.), everyone would have to go through the same system regardless of when they came through. Since there's no way of knowing who came on what flight, it makes sense that everyone would have to take their luggage through the declaration zone, or whatever you call it.

quote:
They ask you if you are carrying fruit, but they could do that even if you didn't have a suitcase in hand.
If you say "yes" (or they search you) they would confiscate it. This would be difficult to do if you weren't yet carrying your bags.

Otherwise, as fugu said, duties haven't been entirely elimated by NAFTA yet.

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.