FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Law School hell week

Author Topic: Law School hell week
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
The Paper Chase showed what the 1L year used to be like. But now, as a 2L, we get the repetitive, exhausting, and nerve-wracking Early Interview Week. I have 31 interviews with different law firms over the next 5 days, starting with 9 interviews today. I hope it goes well...

Anyone else here a law student going through the process?

Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
No. I'm sorry. I feel for you, though - interviewing blows.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
Of course, this is far better than having nothing to do during early interview week. 31 interviews is very good.

They started that at UVA my third year, so I didn't participate. My 2L interviews were spread throughout September.

For those who aren't familiar with firm recruitment during law school, the process is very standardized. Most schools collect the resumes from their students and bundle them to the firms. The firms select whom they wish to interview. Some schools require firms to interview a number of students selected by the school, not the firm. This can be done by lottery or a bidding system.

The interviews happen at the law school (or possibly a nearby hotel). The firms travel to the school. The interviews have three possible results: an offer of employment, a callback, or nothing.

This in-school interviews usually end by October. Callbacks can last through Thanksgiving.

Once offers are made, the firms must keep them open until Dec. 1 so students can compare offers.

Offers are for a summer associate position after 2L. The salary is basically the same as for a first-year associate without benefits.

Most firms make permanent offers to most summer associates soon after 3L starts. This means that many 3L students already know where they will be working after graduation within the first few weeks of the school year.

It can be difficult to have to find a job during third year, although a good number of students have to and most do by the end of first semester.

So, this is very important for Edgehopper. With 31 interviews, I'm not too worried, though.

Good luck!

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
airmanfour
Member # 6111

- posted      Profile for airmanfour           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for breakin' it down Dag, and good luck Edgehopper!
Posts: 1156 | Registered: Jan 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.