FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » New column: Where have all the spaceships gone (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: New column: Where have all the spaceships gone
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
Where have all the spaceships gone

We need more spaceships.

Not in real life, although I'd be up for it. No, we need more spaceships on TV. For as long as I can remember there have been shows about hardy humans on elegant crafts slipping through the icy vastness of space, encountering alien races and dealing with scientific dilemmas while revealing something about the human condition, especially the human condition of crewmen in red shirts.

But not this stardate. There are no Star Trek series on the air right now. No funky time travel shows. No alternate dimension realities. No black holes. "Stargate Atlantis" remains, but SG1 has just been shut down. Instead we have a plentitude of normal-situations-with-one-sf-element shows such as "The 4400" and "Eureka," with just "Battlestar Galactica" and "Dr. Who" to sustain we proud space opera freaks. Where are the gadgets? Where are our alien invasions? Where are our defiant captains, charging through the galaxies chin-first to bring American values to the rubbery bug-eyed monsters? Where are our ray guns?

More...

Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"The Spacy Life"

Wacky dilettantes Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie, together in a small pink spaceship bouncing between the stars. They'll, I don't know, move rock in human slave mines or try to plot orbital vectors or something. I don't really care, I just want them off the Earth. Pack in Britney and K-Fed, too.

Right on, Chris. Your keyboard to God's ear. [Big Grin]
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

- posted      Profile for ChevMalFet           Edit/Delete Post 
Haven't you heard? TV is on the wane. Networks are strapped for cash, and DVRs are killing confidence in advertising delivery. It's much cheaper to make a TV show about Superman's personal life before he could fly than to pay special effects folks to make him zoom around Metropolis.

Ironically I hardly watch any TV but if it involved space ships, a new sacrificial ensign every episode, and inexplicably amorously compatible aliens, I'd be all over it.

[Edit: How great would an Asimovian Robot series be? Eto Demerzel and his human friend solve mysteries in the colonies etc.]

Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ricree101
Member # 7749

- posted      Profile for ricree101   Email ricree101         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow.... sorry to get distracted from your column, but I hadn't yet heard that SG-1 was cancelled. I have to say, I'm a bit shocked.
Posts: 2437 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I want my Starlost!
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

- posted      Profile for Chris Bridges   Email Chris Bridges         Edit/Delete Post 
ricree101 - from what I understand the producers are looking into taking it to another network, or going to movies. I wish 'em luck.
Posts: 7790 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
BRING BACK HIATUS!!!! I loved that show [Smile]
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

You know, now I'm seriously thinking about starting a campaign to bring back a show that never actually existed. Talk about meta...
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Special effects are cheaper than ever. Many special effects houses are buying off the shelf computers to do simple special effects work, and saving the high powered stuff for the high powered machines. It's saving them time and money (I know at least ILM is doing this).

I think we'll get a new Star Trek show in a couple years, but they are giving it a lot of time to cool off before they delve into it again. Too many years of bad viewer reactions are giving them pause over what used to be a sure thing franchise.

Babylon Five, Farscape, DS9, Voyager, Firefly, SG1... all the fan favorites and juggernaut Sci-Fi SPACE shows are on the out. It could just be that that generation of sci-fi is over, and the "everyman" sci-fi is in, or sci-fi thriller based on earth.

On the other hand, I think the marked absence of spaceship fun should open the way for SOMEONE to try and crack into that market. There's millions of geeks out there just WAITING for someone to throw a ship into space and tack some phasers on it.

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
romanylass
Member # 6306

- posted      Profile for romanylass   Email romanylass         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Big Brother: ISS"

You won't believe what happens when we cram six very different people into the International Space Station! Watch as the hot chick, the religious freak, the jock, the gay guy, the married woman, and the token minority all learn to coexist in incredibly cramped quarters surrounded by the most hostile environment known to man. They'll have to complete various exciting tasks designed to just barely sustain their lives and each week the audience can choose to vote one of them out of the airlock. Watch the first episode as the hot chick shows everyone what microgravity does to her implants! Thursday nights at 9, right after Survivor: Ganymede.

[ROFL] [ROFL] [ROFL]
Posts: 2711 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Chris, that'd be amazing. I bet you could actually get a huge groundswell going on it, too. You'd have people going to Fox and demanding that they at least release the episodes that haven't been aired on DVD, and folks who didn't get a change to see the ones that did air would be going to their local video stores asking if they were going to get the Haitus complete series DVD set in.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by ricree101:
Wow.... sorry to get distracted from your column, but I hadn't yet heard that SG-1 was cancelled. I have to say, I'm a bit shocked.

Maybe I should work on my thread titles.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
Chris, that'd be amazing. I bet you could actually get a huge groundswell going on it, too. You'd have people going to Fox and demanding that they at least release the episodes that haven't been aired on DVD, and folks who didn't get a change to see the ones that did air would be going to their local video stores asking if they were going to get the Haitus complete series DVD set in.

You know, if I didn't already have several major conflicting projects going on... oh, what the hell. This looks like too much fun to let drop.
Stephan
Member # 7549

- posted      Profile for Stephan   Email Stephan         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot to mention 2 or more networks coming up with the same idea in the same year to confuse fans enough to not watch any of them. (Threshold, Surface, Invasion)
Posts: 3134 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh great, now I'm humming Peter Paul and Mary while jonesing for Ensign Becker eps...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Go for it Chris, it'd watch your show.

[Wink] [Big Grin]

Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

- posted      Profile for GeronL   Email GeronL         Edit/Delete Post 
With the success of Burt Rutan getting a privately built ship into space and the next big challenge of a private obital reusable vessel there is definitely some material for a future documentary series. Or there should be.
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

- posted      Profile for ChevMalFet           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Lyrhawn:
Special effects are cheaper than ever. Many special effects houses are buying off the shelf computers to do simple special effects work, and saving the high powered stuff for the high powered machines. It's saving them time and money (I know at least ILM is doing this).

I agree, and disagree. The cost of entry to get the special effects is cheaper (the computer time). Judging from the vast array of bad special effects employed, the artists are not. A large part of being a good effects artist is knowing the limits of the technology and working around them.
Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

- posted      Profile for GeronL   Email GeronL         Edit/Delete Post 
You forgot to mention 2 or more networks coming up with the same idea in the same year to confuse fans enough to not watch any of them. (Threshold, Surface, Invasion)

That boxing thing. too many to list really.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
Chris, don't forget the myspace page to help promote everone's favorite "tv show that never was" Hiatus!!!
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by John Van Pelt:
Okay.

That's brilliant.
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Goody Scrivener:
Oh great, now I'm humming Peter Paul and Mary while jonesing for Ensign Becker eps...

[ROFL]

Great article, Chris!

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Lisa wrote:
quote:
Okay .

That's brilliant.
Thanks!
Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
GoogleAd at the bottom of the page:
The Shat Hits the Fan Sunday August 20 Comedy Central Roast of William Shatner

M'thinks that certain someones have been exposed to a bit too much StarTrek if they expect viewers to go back in time to watch a tv show.

Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

quote:
Okay.

Managed to completely miss this the first time. That's fantastic!
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

Feel free to link to it, but if you want something to publish in a more formal 'campaign' (or spoof campaign) let me know -- I need to make sure the images I ganked are copyright free. I did it rather fast [Smile]

Thanks!

Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

Not "formal," really, but I am thinking of starting up a revival movement. I've always wanted one.

savehiatus.blogspot.com

TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I admit I had a thing for the hot brunette, whose name escapes me
[ROFL]

That's awesome.

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Hee. Thanks!
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
I just sent the blog link to a rather TV-geeky friend at work. We'll see if he takes the bait.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

[ROFL]

You guys have too much time on your hands.

Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
JOIN THE HIARCHY!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chris Bridges
Member # 1138

(reading Belle's post at Save Hiatus) HEE!

Belle, I love you. I just want you to know that.

Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Yes, Belle is truly brilliant. I'm in awe of the possibility for mayhem on other movie forums if that post starts showing up in google searches.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
[Kiss]

It's mutual, dear. [Smile]

Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Hiatus needs the fan support more than any show ever has before, because nobody has ever got a chance to see the show!

Think of all the amazing Hiatus episodes that never aired, were never filmed, or were never written!

To paraphrase: Hiatus never did anything, that's the beauty of it...
Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
I am literally laughing so hard that tears are running down my face.

Now, the question is where to post links . . . *schemes*

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eaquae Legit
Member # 3063

- posted      Profile for Eaquae Legit   Email Eaquae Legit         Edit/Delete Post 
I've started writing about it in my lj. I'm pondering other fora to spread it to.

Now what would REALLY amuse me, and get this started, would be if OSC would include it in his "Uncle Orson Reviews Everything" column.

Posts: 2849 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
I mentioned it on my Myspace blog, and I put a nondescript link to the Save Hiatus page in my forum sig elsewhere. I think letting the link do the talking is more realistic.

I wonder if there's a way to make sure this page doesn't come up at the top of google searches?

Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, it's been submitted on Fark... This should be fun.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
We've gotta be doing something right, cause the blog is loading uber slowly right now.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is a symptom of a fairly broad shift in the way media is distributed. Used to be the media companies' revenue streams depended on controlling the means of distribution (i.e., film prints, video tapes, cassettes, etc.). Now that the world is going digital, the content distribution business is getting shook down.

I think the days of $200M movies and $3M/episode TV are close to an end. A pity that, some of those things were pretty good.

On the other hand, the same technology is lowering production costs, meaning there's a TON of cheap-but-pretty-good amateur stuff becoming available. For example: you may never see another Star Trek series from Paramount, but "Hidden Frontier" and "New Voyages" represent the sort of semi-professional media production that the future would seem to hold.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
*laughing laughing laughing laughing*

Too much fun for a Saturday morning.

*snorts coffee*

Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
We've gotta be doing something right, cause the blog is loading uber slowly right now.

quote:
Well, it's been submitted on Fark... This should be fun.
Slashdot effect
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alcon
Member # 6645

- posted      Profile for Alcon   Email Alcon         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, in this case its the Fark effect. But that's what I was thinking of.
Posts: 3295 | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

quote:
Originally posted by Alcon:
Yep, in this case its the Fark effect. But that's what I was thinking of.

Searching Wiki for "Fark effect" came up blank. Silly search engine...
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

Eerie.

--Enigmatic

Miro
Member # 1178

Too bad it's not scifi.
Joldo
Member # 6991

- posted      Profile for Joldo   Email Joldo         Edit/Delete Post 
Can I write the first ever slashy Hiatus fanfiction?

Permission to make up enough details to create a small storyline?

Posts: 1735 | Registered: Oct 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.