FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Wah! My little girl is color blind (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Wah! My little girl is color blind
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
I know, it's unusual, but her maternal grandmother is color blind as well (as much as she likes to deny it). Apparently, Tova is red-green color blind. Havah's been telling me for years that she thought so, but today was the first time we found out for sure.

Could be worse, I know, but I'm bummed for her.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
saxon75 is colorblind. I think also red-green (it's the most common, neh?)
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry to hear that Lisa =( I hope Tova doesn't notice it too much. Though I guess if she's never seen a difference between red and green she doesn't know there's anything to miss.

Pix

Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

- posted      Profile for GeronL   Email GeronL         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Havah's been telling me for years that she thought so, but today was the first time we found out for sure
she was wearing a redneck flannel and you just knew?
Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

That was a joke. Sorry to hear that.

You'll cope I am sure. Red and Green, wow.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm also red/green colorblind. At this point in my life, though, I'm much more amused than upset by it.
Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
On the bright side, you can now safely wear this otherwise highly offensive shirt : http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=559

Note: shirt may be offensive.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
She will need to be extra careful when driving. Color is a more salient cue than "position" on a streetlight or, of course, a flashing red warning signal.

On the plus side, Christmas colors won't be so attractive.

Oh, and Mighty Cow, there's no "may be" about it.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lord Solar Macharius
Member # 7775

- posted      Profile for Lord Solar Macharius           Edit/Delete Post 
One of my good friends is some kind of colour blind. As I understand it, he sees most dark colours as black and so tends to where vibrant yellows and blues. Which is funny, because he's into death metal and stuff.

Red/green colour blind sounds kind of cool though. You get to live on Mars and dream of blasting off to that green ball of dirt in the sky.

Posts: 254 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
On the bright side, you can now safely wear this otherwise highly offensive shirt : http://www.tshirthell.com/store/product.php?productid=559

Holy cow! That's actually hilarious.

What they told us was that red-green colorblindness isn't about red and green specifically. That it means she can't distinguish between pairs of colors at the same color intensity. She covers it well, though. I've never been convinced of it until now.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm colorblind. I can still see colors, though, folks. They just tend to blur when they're very similar. I have a hard time with video games that use a lime-ish green along with yellow. Can't tell them apart half the time.

Stoplights, though, Bob, are not a problem in the least. The colors are highly-contrasting.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elizabeth
Member # 5218

- posted      Profile for Elizabeth   Email Elizabeth         Edit/Delete Post 
My husband and I have been listening to some music from a band called Colorblind James. They are no longer a band, due to the death of Colorblind James himself(Chuck Cuminelli)

Also, there is a poignant scene in "Little Miss Sunshine" involving colorblindness.

Posts: 10890 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:

What they told us was that red-green colorblindness isn't about red and green specifically. That it means she can't distinguish between pairs of colors at the same color intensity. She covers it well, though. I've never been convinced of it until now.

Really? Weird.

My color vision other than shades of red and green is fine, but I see ALL shades of red/green as gray, and cannot distinguish the two.

[Confused]

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

I liked the Red Green Show btw
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, do you see redheads as grey? That would be amusing.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't get it...does she see red and green as the same color? And if so, is it red or green?
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
katharina
Member # 827

- posted      Profile for katharina   Email katharina         Edit/Delete Post 
Two of my three brothers are colorblind. It meant that one of them couldn't be the lighting designer for the theatre like he wanted, but besides that there's no discernable handicap.
Posts: 26077 | Registered: Mar 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Stoplights, though, Bob, are not a problem in the least. The colors are highly-contrasting.
Ah...makes sense that not every person with red/green deficiencies would have trouble with traffic signals. Some do, though.

Thanks for the reminder.

Here's a link on the gradations of color-blindness:
see bottom

Some people see red as black, rare instances people can't distinguish red or yellow.

Depending on the severity, there are folks who would be relying on brightness or saturation only to decide if a traffic signal is displaying red or green. But that's pretty rare apparently.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Soara:
I don't get it...does she see red and green as the same color? And if so, is it red or green?

Well, if she did see the two as the same color, I can't actually think of any way to know what it looks like to her. How would you do that?

"Tova, do red and green both look like red, or do they both look like green?"

"Yes."

<grin>

Lisa
Member # 8384

Well, there's the nutty way they teach math nowadays. That's how my brother-in-law found out he was colorblind. They use these wacked out manipulables. I was born in 1963, so I just missed that lovely idea (and they wonder why kids can't handle math any more).

Tova is starting 1st grade on Monday, so we have to tell her teachers that she's colorblind. And we know what's going to happen. People are going to say, "That's impossible. It's a sex-linked trait; only boys can be colorblind." At which point, Havah is going to have to give them a lesson in genetics. It happens surprisingly often.

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

Yep, as genetic effects go, it's not that rare at all. It's just more prevalent in males because color vision needs one good copy of the genes and it's a sex-linked trait -- males only get one copy to start with.

Lisa, there are apparently more detailed tests they can do to determine how severe the colorblindness is. The type of red/green colorblindness will make a difference in Tova's perceptual realm, and determine which things she has trouble with: reading maps, detecting warnings on tri-color LED panels, traffic signals, etc.

ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

- posted      Profile for ChevMalFet           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Demonstrocity:
quote:
Originally posted by starLisa:

Really? Weird.

My color vision other than shades of red and green is fine, but I see ALL shades of red/green as gray, and cannot distinguish the two.

[Confused]

Is colorblindness an issue with the rods/cones, or signal path to the brain? I ask because I always assumed it was at the reception point, but I'm not so certain after this description of symptoms.

I know little to nothing of the biology of vision but understand at least superficially about color perception, where we see the contrast between red and green, between blue and yellow, and between light and dark. (And if I hunt it down I can probably track down the "wiring diagram" from signal path from the rods/cones to the brain if anyone's interested).

Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I never colored in school. I used to always shade everything with the black crayon or pencils- drove my teachers mad.
Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
My art teacher once had a student who was colorblind. She didn't realize it until she saw them making a colorwheel.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Oddly, the majority of the people I know who work in the technical side of the phone business are red-green color blind. It's not the handicap you might suspect.

Perhaps you have a budding technician on your hands.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Palliard: What if Lisa's sweet little girl has to disarm a bomb? HUH? Cut the red wire or the green wire? WHAT DO I DO?! How can one go through life knowing that they can't disarm a bomb should the need arise?

I'm not color blind at all, buy my wifes' good friend's husband is literally color blind to almost all color. To the point that he might as well have the eyes of a dog to be honest.

I honestly feel very bad for him, though I wonder what sort of an art critic he would make if he didnt have all those colors distracting him from the form and technique. (outside color blending obviously).

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

Puppy-dog eyes?
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I was going to make a home-made bomb, I would swap the red and green wires anyway... but that's just me. [Big Grin]

Most of the previously-mentioned phone-folks I know use a color chart to match the colors. From what they describe, it's not a simple matter of seeing things as shades of gray. I have some difficulty grasping how they actually percieve colors, but it doesn't seem to be a crippling handicap in a field that sorts connections according to a color code.

Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
HollowEarth
Member # 2586

- posted      Profile for HollowEarth   Email HollowEarth         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

I love this question. You wouldn't ask this kind of question if some said they were dyslexic or illiterate, so why here? Do you honestly think its less offensive in this context? (For the record, I'm colorblind.)
Posts: 1621 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

quote:
Originally posted by HollowEarth:
quote:

I love this question. You wouldn't ask this kind of question if some said they were dyslexic or illiterate, so why here? Do you honestly think its less offensive in this context? (For the record, I'm colorblind.)
...what? I'm failing to see how this is offensive. I get asked this, or a similar variant, by every person who finds out I'm red/green colorblind. I've never seen it as offensive, just curiousity. It gets annoying, but I'd hardly call it offensive.

I've asked someone who was dyslexic about specific ways that condition affects them, with no offense intended, and none taken. I'm not sure what equivilant question you'd ask an illiterate person.

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
My great-uncle got into an accident once because he was used to the streetlights being in a certain position-- and for some reason, a small town had them reversed. He went on the red, swerved to avoid an oncoming car, jumped the curve, and hit a signpost. (No injuries, thankfully.)

He went to court and the damages were reversed-- and they fixed their streetlights.

Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_Frank
Member # 8488

- posted      Profile for Dan_Frank   Email Dan_Frank         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Good friend of mine is colorblind in the red/green spectrum, but only mildly. He says he can see red. And he can see green. But if you have a small amount of red or green mixed with a large amount of the other, he sees it all as one color (the more prevalent one)

I didn't know until we were gathering broken water balloons after my nephew's birthday party. He kept missing red balloons, because they blended in with the grass.

Posts: 3580 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
Primer on colorblindness, by Wikiality
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jennabean
Member # 8590

- posted      Profile for jennabean   Email jennabean         Edit/Delete Post 
My grandmother, father and I are all colorblind. Hopefully your daughter is like me and not my father and grandmother. They have full-blown gray scale red-green colorblindness, but I just have difficulties with the more vague and nuanced shades you wouldn't find in an 8-crayon box. (But I still fail those darn tests!) If I have some sort of reference, like something that I know is red or green then I can usually pick out which one I'm looking at.

We're all pretty fine specimens. I don't think it's really a handicap; it's more of an oddity. One of my most memorable (traumatic?) experiences was coloring the sky purple in grade school. Make sure her crayons are labeled! [Smile]

Posts: 308 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mrs.M
Member # 2943

- posted      Profile for Mrs.M   Email Mrs.M         Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew is red/green colorblind, too. He can sometimes distinguish them and sometimes not. He rarely identifies pink or light green correctly, though (which is kind of funny because those are my nursery colors and the colors I dress Aerin in). He has never correctly identified purple and sees pink as beige most of the time.

It hasn't affected his life that much - he sees traffic lights just fine. He wanted to join the Air Force when he was younger and that wasn't possible, but I don't see that being a problem for Tova. He did have a lot of trouble in chem lab - he had to constantly ask his lab partner if their mixture was the right color. He had an awful time in college chem lab where they didn't have lab partners. Other than that, he's just had to deal with the annoyance of people's questions - "You're colorblind? Do you see in black and white? What color is this? How about this? Wrong! Ha Ha Ha." And so on.

Posts: 3037 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Primal Curve:
I never colored in school. I used to always shade everything with the black crayon or pencils- drove my teachers mad.

I only colored when they made me. I couldn't stay inside the lines for my life, until my little brother taught me the technique of following the outline until you have a much thicker border. Even then, it was touch and go.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by jennabean:
My grandmother, father and I are all colorblind. Hopefully your daughter is like me and not my father and grandmother. They have full-blown gray scale red-green colorblindness, but I just have difficulties with the more vague and nuanced shades you wouldn't find in an 8-crayon box. (But I still fail those darn tests!) If I have some sort of reference, like something that I know is red or green then I can usually pick out which one I'm looking at.

We're all pretty fine specimens. I don't think it's really a handicap; it's more of an oddity. One of my most memorable (traumatic?) experiences was coloring the sky purple in grade school. Make sure her crayons are labeled! [Smile]

Tova's pretty good at matching colors. I think it's mostly when they're grouped together and of the same intensity that she has the problem.
Lisa
Member # 8384

quote:
Originally posted by Samprimary:
Primer on colorblindness, by Wikiality

See, I have a problem with this article. There are three pictures on the right hand side of the page. From the captions, it sounds like they're all supposed to contain the same number.

But I see an 83 in the top box, a 56 in the bottom box, and I can sorta kinda make out a 37 in the middle box. Are they messing with me, or what? Does anyone here see the same thing in all three boxes?

Theaca
Member # 8325

- posted      Profile for Theaca   Email Theaca         Edit/Delete Post 
if you click on the picture it comes up in a new page and tells you what the number is supposed to be. Turns out you are right about each number. I think.
Posts: 1014 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Enigmatic
Member # 7785

- posted      Profile for Enigmatic   Email Enigmatic         Edit/Delete Post 
It doesn't say that they're the same number, but the second caption isn't worded very well. They mean that the pictures are similar in that they each contain a 2-digit number, not that the numbers themselves are similar. Though I can very easily see how you could read it that way, because of the poor phrasing.

--Enigmatic

Posts: 2715 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
umm.. I can see the numbers but it was kinda hard to make out.. were they supposed to be hard to make out or should I see a doctor?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Enigmatic:
It doesn't say that they're the same number, but the second caption isn't worded very well. They mean that the pictures are similar in that they each contain a 2-digit number, not that the numbers themselves are similar. Though I can very easily see how you could read it that way, because of the poor phrasing.

Too bad it's not possible to edit that so it's better worded.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
I can hardly see the numbers as well, and I have excellent color vision. I think the particular examples are not particularly well done. Either that, or you only have to have the slightest difficulty with color to miss them. Doesn't seem like a very meaningful test.

I found a couple of other online tests which have shapes/numbers that are all obvious to me. I'm not sure how they're seen by color blind individuals.

http://colorvisiontesting.com/online%20test.htm

http://www.toledo-bend.com/colorblind/Ishihara.html

Edit: I just realized how messed up it would be if someone made a color-blindness testing page, and gave people incorrect answers. You saw a 29? I don't know what you're talking about, that should be 31.

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

I expect that no online test will be particularly useful. Too much variation with video cards and monitors.
Samprimary
Member # 8561

- posted      Profile for Samprimary   Email Samprimary         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
From the captions, it sounds like they're all supposed to contain the same number.

But I see an 83 in the top box, a 56 in the bottom box, and I can sorta kinda make out a 37 in the middle box. Are they messing with me, or what? Does anyone here see the same thing in all three boxes?

No messin' -- they're all different numbers. I reworded it to avoid this confusion!
Posts: 15421 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dkw
Member # 3264

- posted      Profile for dkw   Email dkw         Edit/Delete Post 
The numbers in the Wiki article are all very distinct to me. Not hard to make out at all.
Posts: 9866 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Other than that, he's just had to deal with the annoyance of people's questions - "You're colorblind? Do you see in black and white? What color is this? How about this? Wrong! Ha Ha Ha." And so on.
Well, up to the "what color is this? How about this? Wrong! Ha Ha Ha" part, the annoyance would, I'd think, be the repetition of the questions.

I'm nearsighted (really, really, nearsighted--ever wondered what it's like to not be able to read the E on top of the sign from twenty feet away?) and wear glasses full-time. The most irritating question? "Are you blind with your glasses off?" I've been asked that before so many times, and yet I persist in believing that surely the next person to inquire about my eye condition will realize that it's not possible to correct blindness externally through lenses. (There are ways inside of the brain, and I remember reading about ways that someone can train to interpret I think electrical impulses on the tongue or something like that well enough to replace vision that they can actually drive a car, but a wire frame holding two clear lenses together ain't gonna do it, folks.) So I never come up with a sufficiently scathing response.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
My mother-in-law wears hearing aides. She once took my glasses and tried them on and exclaimed that the glasses were so strong that I must be almost blind. I took her hearing aide and tried it on and told her that it was so strong that she must be almost deaf. My husband (who uses a wheelchair) was in the room at the time and thought the whole thing was hilarious. We both turned on him and reminded him that he was not one to talk.

Ah, good times!

(Uh, what were we talking about?)

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My mother-in-law wears hearing aides.
I have this vision of her dragging two women around as they cling to her upper arms. [Laugh]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teshi
Member # 5024

- posted      Profile for Teshi   Email Teshi         Edit/Delete Post 
Am I wrong in thinking that some people who are "legally" blind wear glasses? They're not blind in the literal sense, but in the sense that they "qualify" as being blind because their vision is so poor?
Posts: 8473 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.