FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Question about the word 'moot'

Author Topic: Question about the word 'moot'
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.answers.com/topic/mootness

Is it o.k. to say "Your point is moot." meaning your point is “of no significance or relevance.”, or should I use someting else? At this point it seems like the only people who know about what the 'real' meaning of the word 'moot' is are intellectual types. That is, very few people.

I'm fine with not using moot except to mean what it 'really' means, but I'm having a hard time finding a good synonym for the common usage of moot that feels right to me.

Thoughts?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Current usage (except maybe among law students) is as you would use it. It's how I would phrase it.

What do you mean when say something is nice? [Wink]

Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
Remember when Joey (Friends) said it was a "Moo Point". Someone asked him "um.. moo point?" He says "yeah, Moo.. it's a cows opinion."

awesome.

By the way, yes this post of mine is moot.

Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Are you asserting that the 'common usage' conveys a meaning of 'no significance or relevance'? (I'm not disagreeing, just making sure what you are saying.)

Personally I resist using the word moot unless in the 'correct' context and with the 'correct' meaning, anti-intellectualism bedambed [Smile]

For what I think you are asking, how about:
- Your point is irrelevant
- Your argument is beside the point
- That may be so, but...

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Miro
Member # 1178

- posted      Profile for Miro   Email Miro         Edit/Delete Post 
But none of those sounds as cool.
Posts: 2149 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
You could always go for the 'Lisa Style' and say "What are you smoking?"
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
John Van Pelt
Member # 5767

- posted      Profile for John Van Pelt   Email John Van Pelt         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, 'that may be so, but...' really equates to 'moot.' So never mind.

To Rivka: Unlike 'nice' (which I think is an utterly lost battle), I still think there's a useful distinction between moot (common usage) and moot (academic 'correctness').

But maybe it's too nice a distinction.

Posts: 431 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

John,

Yeah, I was quoting from my link.

See, all the ones you mention just don't sound very nice to me. Somehow moot sounds, I don't know, less mean.

Rivka,

you mean the old tyme usage of nice, as in "nice and accurate"?

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sterling
Member # 8096

- posted      Profile for Sterling   Email Sterling         Edit/Delete Post 
It's the fact that it can mean both "debatable" and "irrelevant" that screws things up. Caused a bit of misunderstanding when I used it in a conversation with a friend in high school, just that way.
Posts: 3826 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by John Van Pelt:
To Rivka: Unlike 'nice' (which I think is an utterly lost battle), I still think there's a useful distinction between moot (common usage) and moot (academic 'correctness').

Considering that "nice" has not been used that way in several hundred years, it's good you are willing to concede. [Wink]

I think the "moot" distinction is moot.

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
Rivka,

you mean the old tyme usage of nice, as in "nice and accurate"?

No, I mean the (first) definition now considered obsolete.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Oh. Did not know that. [Smile]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

See, I have no idea what you mean with this sentence.

I guess what I'm asking with this thread is, isn't it time to just let the 'old' meaning of moot go away for clarity's sake?

rivka
Member # 4859

quote:
Originally posted by Storm Saxon:
quote:

See, I have no idea what you mean with this sentence.
That was the point. [Evil]
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess what I'm asking with this thread is, isn't it time to just let the 'old' meaning of moot go away for clarity's sake?
There are some words, like moot and irony, for which I am perfectly willing to abandon, in casual use, the original meaning.

There are others, like literally, for which I am not.

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
It's the fact that it can mean both "debatable" and "irrelevant" that screws things up
And the phrase "moot court" relies on both those meanings. [Smile]
Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

quote:

That was the point. [Evil]

*cries*
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
You could always go for the 'Lisa Style' and say "What are you smoking?"

<cough> Bite me. <cough>

<smile>

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Joey - "It's all a moo point."
Rachel - "A moo point?"
Joey - "Yeah it's like a cow's opinion. It just doesn't matter. It's moo."

What about the old school definition?

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
What's the new defition of moot? It means something other than irrelevant?
Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it could also be an entmoot.
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by mr_porteiro_head:
quote:
There are some words, like moot and irony, for which I am perfectly willing to abandon, in casual use, the original meaning.

There are others, like literally, for which I am not.

*nods* See also "random", "randomly". That one's a pet peeve of mine.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Just don't spell it mute. That makes me want to pull my eyes out with a spoon.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eduardo St. Elmo
Member # 9566

- posted      Profile for Eduardo St. Elmo   Email Eduardo St. Elmo         Edit/Delete Post 
Swampjedi: How would you do that? I can see if you tried to scoop them out. But pulling? Nah...

On moot: I think it's best to expect others to take the word as meaning irrelevant (wistfully recalls 7of9), even though that is not it's original meaning. The exact meaning of words inevitably changes, so IMO you'd best use it in the way that the majority of the people understands it, otherwise you're just going to create a whole lot of confusion.
Unless you post it on Hatrack, where confusion seems to be welcomed (and rightly so).

Also, last night I found out why 'pussy' means wimp/coward. It's short for pussilanimity. I think that's going to be one of my favourite words from now on. [Big Grin]

Posts: 993 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*pat pat* That's right, Eduardo.
imogen
Member # 5485

- posted      Profile for imogen   Email imogen         Edit/Delete Post 
I think "moot point" is a very acceptable usage.

And that's from a lawyer who, as a law student, participated in many a moot court. [Smile]

Posts: 4393 | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Swampjedi
Member # 7374

- posted      Profile for Swampjedi   Email Swampjedi         Edit/Delete Post 
Scoop is gentle. Imagine pull as using a lever to catapult them from your head.
Posts: 1069 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jon Boy
Member # 4284

- posted      Profile for Jon Boy           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Eduardo St. Elmo:
Also, last night I found out why 'pussy' means wimp/coward. It's short for pussilanimity. I think that's going to be one of my favourite words from now on. [Big Grin]

It's clever, but it's not accurate. It was simply a change from cat to girl to effeminate boy. Would the sort of people who use the word "pussy" really know a word like "pusillanimity"? It's also worth noting that "pusillanimity" is an adjective, while "pussy" is a noun.
Posts: 9945 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Personally I resist using the word moot unless in the 'correct' context and with the 'correct' meaning, anti-intellectualism bedambed.
Both the OED and the Websters define moot to mean "having no practical significance". If its in the OED, then it is a "correct" meaning of the word.

English isn't a dead language which means that words are changing in meaning all the time. OED cites usage of the word moot in legal ruling where it means "irrelevant or of no significance" as far back as 1807. If moot has been used in this way for 200 years, anyone who continues to argue that this is "incorrect usage" is more than a bit dated.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Morbo
Member # 5309

- posted      Profile for Morbo   Email Morbo         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by The Rabbit:
If moot has been used in this way for 200 years, anyone who continues to argue that this is "incorrect usage" is more than a bit dated. [/QB]

From rivka's link to the definition of "nice: 1 obsolete a : WANTON, DISSOLUTE."
So calling someone a "nice girl" *nudge, nudge* used to be an insult? Wow.

Posts: 6316 | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

If by "used to be" you mean medieval times, then yes.
Dagonee
Member # 5818

- posted      Profile for Dagonee           Edit/Delete Post 
I hinted at this above, but the legal use typically involves both definitions. A "point" or an "issue" is said to be moot when the case can be decided without deciding the issue. Essentially, this means the issue is irrelevant. But no one would bother to use the word "moot" to describe the issue unless the issue were also debatable.

For example, in many states, if someone writes a will in their own handwriting and signs it, no witnesses are required at the signing. So, if there's a factual dispute about whether a will was properly witnessed, that dispute would be moot if the will were in the decedent's handwriting, because the case would come out the same way whether the witnessing was proper or not.

If the signed will were witnessed and no one disputed that, then whether the handwriting was the decedent's would be moot. If neither fact were disputed, there wouldn't be an issue, so no one would call it "moot."

Posts: 26071 | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

I almost feel like the word shouldn't be used unless someone is in law where the meaning is clear.
Gwen
Member # 9551

- posted      Profile for Gwen           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
A "point" or an "issue" is said to be moot when the case can be decided without deciding the issue. Essentially, this means the issue is irrelevant. But no one would bother to use the word "moot" to describe the issue unless the issue were also debatable.
Is this the "original" meaning everyone keeps talking about? 'Cause I'd always used it (and heard it used) in cases in which the point is simply irrelevant, whether or not it's true.
Example:
Someone [In the midst of a debate on abortion]: But one plus one is two!

Unless the sum of one and one actually has some relevance to the discussion at hand (maybe someone used it in an analogy or something), it's a moot point, although it may be true. Sometimes people use it to cut short a possible tangential discussion that could very well derail the entire discussion (God's existence or lack thereof, the truth of different religions, whether or not Bush is evil or stupid, how the Great Pumpkin decides which pumpkin patch is the most serene) in order to keep it on the issue at hand.

That's how I use it, anyway.

Posts: 283 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Oh, of course! Moot does mean debatable! I see now! To be moot it must be debatable, with the outcome of the debate having no practical importance. That is, we could argue it all day long, but it makes no practical difference what we decide.

Sometimes I'm tempted to think the debates and discussions at hatrack have no practical outcomes. Do you guys think that's true? Are we just enjoying the sound of our own voices here? Honing our skills and enjoying the thrill of the argument? I think my feeling that much of the time, that's all we're doing, keeps me out of the serious threads mostly.

On the other hand, I've learned some important things from hatrack, from interacting with the people, if not necessarily from the substance of our arguments. I've learned that getting angry over these things, no matter how heartfelt, is counterproductive. I've learned to value the contributions of everyone more, even people who may passionately disagree with me.

Are those sorts of meta-points the things we are here to learn? It's interesting that I can't think of a single issue on which I've changed my mind completely, and yet, I did convert to a whole new religion, so hatrack obviously is having real effects. Also, there are couples who wouldn't have met and children who wouldn't have been born if hatrack hadn't existed. So I suppose not everything that happens here is moot. I just wonder about the passionate debate side of things. I had this feeling that it really matters somehow, yet my faith wavers. Obviously, I rarely participate anymore, so on some level I must not think it really does.

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Er, I didn't make this thread as a way to comment on the debates at Hatrack. I'm not saying you're sayint that, Tatiana, but it's not clear to me that you aren't saying it.... [Smile]

I've learned a lot from Hatrack and Ornery, too. Probably the largest thing that is continually reinforced is to not get angry at someone's opinion. It just doesn't do any good.

quote:

I had this feeling that it really matters somehow, yet my faith wavers. Obviously, I rarely participate anymore, so on some level I must not think it really does.

I think it matters, if only on a personal level. Even if people we aren't talking to don't listen to our points, we can gain insight and wisdom from them and enrich ourselves.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

Storm Saxon, I didn't think that you did it as a comment on hatrack. I just got to thinking about it, when pondering on the word moot. I guess I go off on tangents, sorry. [Smile]

Maybe the real reason we are here is to learn how to truly listen. I know I have a lot to learn there.

Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

Yeah, you do.

[Razz]

quote:

Maybe the real reason we are here is to learn how to truly listen.

I agree. [Smile]
Tatiana
Member # 6776

I'm listening more than you know. [Smile]
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

*looks around nervously*

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.