FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The nerd: greatest social invention of the 20th century?

Author Topic: The nerd: greatest social invention of the 20th century?
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
Are nerds unique to modern Western civilization?

Before computers -- before action figures -- before comics, D&D, movies, and science fiction... what did nerds do? Were there nerds, and what did they do??

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

- posted      Profile for GeronL   Email GeronL         Edit/Delete Post 
There had to be nerds, known as bean counters. A nerd invented the abacus. A nerd built a scale model of the pyramids to convince the Pharoahs they just had to have one. A nerd was probably the first to drink cow milk, cuz somebody had to do it first, or he dared someone to do it.

A nerd probably did a lot of important things in history. I would bet it was a nerd that decided to cross the eurasia-north america land bridge, it was pobably a nerd who decided to build a mud hut instead of living in a cave with his mother-in-law.

Nerds probably wrote the first law: Thou shall not beat me up.

Mankind would still be hunters and gatherers if it weren't for nerds. It was probably a nerd that found the best kinds of plants to gather for food come to think of it.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GeronL
Member # 9674

- posted      Profile for GeronL   Email GeronL         Edit/Delete Post 
and that was My Ode to Nerds

but of the 20th century the best invention was the air conditioner.

Posts: 57 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rivka
Member # 4859

- posted      Profile for rivka   Email rivka         Edit/Delete Post 
Only barely 20th century -- 1901.
Posts: 32919 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
Still, though, A/C made one hell of an impact.

So let's see, here's my top ten greatest inventions of the 20th century in no particular order:
1. microchip
2. plastic (synthetic polymers)
3. the internet (or just the first network)
4. controlled nuclear fission
5. wireless interpersonal communication (not just radio broadcast)
6. television
7. laser technology
8. digital storage
9. air conditioning
10. [edit to add] Heavier than air flight

Any other suggestions?

Of course, these were all developed by nerds. [Big Grin]

Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
James Tiberius Kirk
Member # 2832

- posted      Profile for James Tiberius Kirk           Edit/Delete Post 
Flight.

--j_k

Posts: 3617 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shmuel
Member # 7586

- posted      Profile for Shmuel   Email Shmuel         Edit/Delete Post 
Eh, I agree with my high school physics teacher. The greatest invention of the 20th Century is the Thermos. It keeps hot things hot, and cold things cold... the mystery is, how does it know? [Smile]
Posts: 884 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
The nerds you will have with you always.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, come on... You don't think that the likes of Einstein, Newton, Galileo, Copernicus, Pythagoras, Euclid (OK, so I'm struggling for some names here)... even Da Vinci weren't "nerds" in their respective eras?

Of course, Da Vinci managed to hook the Mona Lisa chick, so maybe he's the exception to the rule.

And, FlyingCow, you invented all those? But I tought Al Gore did #3? [Wink]

Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Here is my list of the top 10 best investions of the 20th century, that have not already been mentioned. Found with the help of Wikipedia

1901: Instant coffee by Sartori Kato
1908: Tea bag: Thomas Sullivan (mainly because I'm not thinking of the tea bag you use to make drinks [Wink] )
1912: Ecstacy: Merck (that's right, now you know who to blame for them dern teenagers)
1918: Pop-up toaster: Charles Strite
1928: Antibiotics: Alexander Fleming
1928: sliced bread: Otto Frederick Rohwedder (hehe, couldn't help it)
1936: Pinsetter (bowling): Gottfried Schmidt
1955: Velcro: George de Mestral
1957: Bubble Wrap: Alfred Fielding and Marc Chavannes
1968: Video game console: Ralph H. Baer

Some are more obviously invented by nerds than others. I'm thinking the guy that invented the pinsetter may not have been terribly nerdy.

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
FlyingCow
Member # 2150

- posted      Profile for FlyingCow   Email FlyingCow         Edit/Delete Post 
I think, of those, antibiotics is the only one that could vie for top 10.
Posts: 3960 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
Really? No video games or instant coffee? Though I admit the list to being just a tad tongue in cheek.
Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shanna
Member # 7900

- posted      Profile for Shanna   Email Shanna         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Of course, Da Vinci managed to hook the Mona Lisa chick, so maybe he's the exception to the rule.[/QB]
Last I heard, Leonardo probably didn't get any action. (reading "Math and the Mona Lisa" for school.)
Posts: 1733 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Shanna:
quote:
Of course, Da Vinci managed to hook the Mona Lisa chick, so maybe he's the exception to the rule.

Last I heard, Leonardo probably didn't get any action. (reading "Math and the Mona Lisa" for school.) [/QB]
Then maybe there's no hope for us then.
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
plaid
Member # 2393

- posted      Profile for plaid   Email plaid         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think of inventors as being nerds, they're more geeks than nerds.

I'm thinking of nerds as people who collect items of pop culture, argue over minutiea related to such pop culture, etc.

I think that for there to be nerds, there must be pop culture... and that pop culture has to be cheap and affordable enough to support populations of lower-class and middle-class nerds.

(Pre-20th century, there were rich people who were opera lovers, art collectors, etc... but since they were rich, they were seen as being art lovers or eccentrics, and while they may have had a bit of a nerd element to them, it's not quite the same.)

Go back to the gatherer-hunter tribes... where's the nerds there? Pop culture wouldn't exist as we knew it. People told stories -- myths -- but since they were sacred stories, folks weren't allowed to just go ahead and make up new stories about what happened when Spider met Tiger.

Gatherer-hunters moved all the time, so people weren't going to haul around their collection of interesting-looking sticks. Thus, nerds require permanent settlements, so that they may store their collections.

The closest thing I can think of to pre-20th century nerds are people into Judeo-Christian numerology. They had religious motivations -- which is different from the more secular nerds of today -- but they did have a text of shared culture that they could argue over and come up with all sorts of bizarre, complicated theories about how the numeric value of this word/phrase/sentence of scripture revealed its TRUE meaning...

Posts: 2911 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Storm Saxon
Member # 3101

- posted      Profile for Storm Saxon           Edit/Delete Post 
http://tinyurl.com/bephy

Nice little article by Neal Stephenson which dovetails with the topic. [Smile]

Posts: 13123 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ChevMalFet
Member # 9676

- posted      Profile for ChevMalFet           Edit/Delete Post 
Plaid, I think what your describing (meta-culture maybe?) is the tendency of advanced civilizations to value culture more and more heavily as survival concerns get less and less prominent.

And as far as instant coffee goes, I consider that more an archetypal example of the downside of technological advance than anything else. (Says the nerd that has enjoyed freshly roasted coffee on the tropical mountain farm where it was grown).

Posts: 74 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
Da Vinci was gay, he didn't get any action from any girl.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
So?, I think he was probably Bi, but guessing such things is both difficult and unscholarly (although often alot of fun.)
Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.