FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Give us your home, your house, your hospitality... (CALLING CHICAGO AREA RESIDENTS)

Author Topic: Give us your home, your house, your hospitality... (CALLING CHICAGO AREA RESIDENTS)
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
[/STATUE OF LIBERTY VOICE]

So, Lyrhawn and I are planning a trip to Chicago over either the first or second weekend in October. We were wondering if any Jatraquero/as would be willing to extend their hospitality insofar as to let us crash on couches or something at their place? We are but poor and humble college students, so the price of many hotels in the Chicago area would potentially be above and beyond our reach.

If anyone is interested/willing to aid us in this venture, you will win the award for Raia's favorite Jatraquero of the year! [Kiss] Also, if anyone has any ideas as to fun events/venues/not-to-be-missed locations in Chicago, please feel free to enlighten us!

Thank you all so much (in advance). [Smile]

[ August 26, 2006, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: Raia ]

Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks in advance from me too!

(What exactly does a statue of liberty voice sound like? Ironically the first name that comes to mind when casting a VA for the Statue of Liberty is Emma Thompson, but then the voice wouldn't HAVE to be American would it? Anyways...)

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

Well, it was a play on "Give me your poor, your tired..." etc. [Razz] I don't ACTUALLY know what a Statue of Liberty voice sounds like. Though I'm pretty sure I could come up with one if I had to.
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Javert
Member # 3076

- posted      Profile for Javert   Email Javert         Edit/Delete Post 
She has a French accent...obviously! [Wink]
Posts: 3852 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
Too bad you are in the Chicago area and not Utah, otherwise I'd help you out ;p
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Noemon
Member # 1115

- posted      Profile for Noemon   Email Noemon         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't live in Chicago, so I can't really help, but it sounds like fun. I don't know what you guys are going to be in town for, but it might not be a bad excuse for a Chicago gathering.
Posts: 16059 | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
We're over two hours from Chicago, but you're welcome if you're in the area.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*bump* I edited the title, so people would know if they should look in this thread or not. It was rather ambiguous before. [Smile]
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd love to get togheter. My apartment, however, is probably not up to overnight visitors. I don't have a couch, just a pair of Poangs, although I do have an air mattress I could inflate if I could find another place to put the chairs. I also have cats, if allergies are an issue...
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

Demon Kitties!

::Stocks up on allergy medicine::

Thanks Goody [Smile]

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
I know a recent alum from DePauw up in Chicago... He might be willing to take you in for a night.
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Altįriėl of Dorthonion
Member # 6473

- posted      Profile for Altįriėl of Dorthonion   Email Altįriėl of Dorthonion         Edit/Delete Post 
WHY CAN'T YOU COME TO SAN DIEGO????!
I'd provide shelter as long as you guys didn't make strange noises at night.

Posts: 3389 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, if you'd come to New Orleans, I have a sofa bed AND an air mattress.

I win the hospitality contest.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Luet13
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for Luet13   Email Luet13         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, if I had my own house/apt I'd gladly host you. I don't know how the parents would feel about this, so I'll say maybe. There are some relatively decent hostels downtown right in the loop, if you want to go that route.
If you're in Chicago you MUST see: The Art Institute, Millenium Park, and Little India (Western/Devon area) which is my neighborhood. Of course only go to Little India if you love Indian food, Saris, and God shops.
Hmm. What else? Do you like the bar scene? What are ya'll into? Give me some hints, and I'll narrow down the list of awesome things to do here. I love this city, and have lived here all 23 years of my life. [Wave] The Chi will welcome you with open arms. [Smile]

Posts: 511 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jhai
Member # 5633

- posted      Profile for Jhai   Email Jhai         Edit/Delete Post 
If you go to Little India, could you bring me back a big bag of Basmati rice? [Smile] Greencastle rice is either horrible or really expensive... [Grumble]
Posts: 2409 | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
Heck, I'll put you up here, but you knwo you have better places to stay in bloomington (most of the time)>
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

*bump*

So, many of you who do NOT live in the Chicago area have offered, which is extremely generous of you, but I'm afraid not quite sufficient... is there anyone else who might be willing to let us crash their place for a few days? I promise, we will not make a big mess, we will not torture your pets, and we might even be persuaded to cook you dinner (though I haven't discussed this one with Lyrhawn yet, so we'll see what he says before I offer his services)!

BannaOj
Member # 3206

- posted      Profile for BannaOj   Email BannaOj         Edit/Delete Post 
You are welcome at our place. We are in the northwest suburbs so taking the Metra to downtown is reccommended, but it's very doable.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

[Hail]

AJ, you are suddenly my favorite. That could be just the solution! Thank you so much... you're sure? If so, I'll drop you an e-mail in the next few days to work out the details...

Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

I'm sure we could rustle up something for dinner for our hostess. Can't promise it won't make a big mess though. [Wink] (j/k, we're good at cleaning up after ourselves).
kmbboots
Member # 8576

- posted      Profile for kmbboots   Email kmbboots         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in Evanston (just north of Chicago). I am a very very very bad housekeeper. I have a futon that you are welcome to but you will need to sign a confidentiality agreement regarding the state of my apartment. All that agreed to (and you don't mind my not being around much that weekend as I have plans) you would be very welcome. I would love to meet you!
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

I am also accessible to downtown via Metra and the el'.
Posts: 11187 | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Baron Samedi
Member # 9175

- posted      Profile for Baron Samedi           Edit/Delete Post 
You could stay with us. We live in Albuquerque, but it's easily accessable to downtown Chicago via I-40, then I-44, then I-55.

Let us know. [Big Grin]

Posts: 563 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
kmbboots is awesome. Banna is awesome, but I didn't get to meet her while I was there. But she likes cute dogs. [Smile]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

So hard to decide...but this might help:

Do either of you have cats?

BannaOj
Member # 3206

I don't have cats but I do have CC's parents and sibling.

Either way I need to find time to meet kmb so I think we'll definitely have to get together regardless of who you stay with.

We have a queen size futon, with a luxury matress (we had to bungee cord it recently to make it fold), two couches and an airbed. We do have hideous orange shag carpet but it shouldn't give you too many nightmares. Blacwolve and Russell been to my place although we've done some improvements since they last saw it

On the other hand even though we have oodles of room, kmb is definitely more directly convienent to downtown than I am.

I'm really bad about checking my yahoo e-mail so let me know when you've e=mailed (if you do) by posting here.

AJ

Posts: 11265 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
Banna's place is awesome.

By the way, Mike and I are planning on coming up to Chicago sometime this semester and would love to see you. We'll probably get a hotel so as not to abuse your hospitality any more than we already have. However, we'd be coming up largely to see you and Steve, so if there's any weekend that's particularly good for you, let us know. Assuming you want to see us, of course, which I hope is a fairly safe assumption. [Smile]

Mike is still a bit leery of driving in Chicago after our previous mishaps, so a bit later into the semester would probably be better. Or if weekends when Chicago traffic is good actually exist, that would be better as well.

I'd also love to meet you kmboots, I didn't realize you were in the Chicago area.

Hmm, this is a really disjointed post. Sorry about that. I probably shouldn't post when I'm this tired; I'm worried if I leave it til morning I'll forget.

Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
kmbboots
Member # 8576

No pets...or plants (my Christmas tree is still up but it's fake). BannaOj's luxury futon way outclasses mine, but I have lots of pillows.

I have started housecleaning. By October I can guarantee a clear path to the bathroom.

edit to add: Thanks, pH, I think you are awesome!

Primal Curve
Member # 3587

- posted      Profile for Primal Curve           Edit/Delete Post 
I just drove through downtown Chicago at midnight on Sunday. We got stuck in traffic. So, enjoy trying to find a time where you don't. [Razz]

I didn't realize the Statue of Liberty had a voice.

Posts: 4753 | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BannaOj
Member # 3206

Blacwolve, if you are coming up to see Steve and I, we'll be insulted if you don't stay with us. We love having folks over. It is our pleasure, as long as you are ok with the sleeping arrangements. (for example's steve's dad staying in a hotel cause he's really tall and likes a king size bed is an acceptable deviation)

The only day upcoming that is absolutely *out* (and even then if you wanted to spend an arm and leg on dinner and help me get gussied up you and mike could come along) is Friday Octoer 20th. Steve's and my 7th Anniversary.

AJ

Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Good traffic in Chicago? Ever? You MUST be joking!!! There's a reason I take public transportation to work every day. I don't trust other drivers, especially the cabbies!
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.