FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » My brother can't find his car keys.

Author Topic: My brother can't find his car keys.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
My Dad died last weekend. That's a whole other post that I'll write when I'm up to it; the funeral was Thursday and we've been having some good family time. It's me, my mom, my brother, and my 14-year-old nephew here in Mom's house. Brother and nephew have to go back up to NC this morning. SIL returned Friday.

So, my brother was about to go out to buy coffee (we don't have it in the house) and he couldn't find his keys. This is by no means an uncommon occurrence. "Where are my car keys?" might as well be his middle name. He's 55 years old and I've remembered this since he was a teenager and first driving.

But this is just weird. We really have looked EVERYWHERE three times over. The house just isn't that big. We've checked his car, dug through trash cans, moved furniture, rummaged through drawers and dirty laundry, and they are still stubbornly gone.

No one wants to say it but I think all three grownups fear that my nephew may be the culprit. He was adopted at age 11 w/ a multitude of problems. He's doing GREAT for all he's been through. He was a pallbearer at the funeral and totally rose to the occasion, acting with great dignity and maturity, which believe me is a stretch for him. We love him to death--but hiding the car keys is just the kind of thing he's capable of. I think my brother said something at one point because I heard Tim reply, "I was looking forward to going home." I would hate to accuse him because who knows? But I'm just hiding out at my computer right now because my brother is not a patient soul at the best of times and I'm plum out of ideas and really don't want to be around him right now.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea where to help find your brother's keys. However, when I can't find my own I just go to the all mighty roll of duct tape. They are usually in there.
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure what the solution is to your problem, but I'm sorry to hear about your dad. [Frown] That's really rough. I wish you and yours all the best. (((((Uprooted and family)))))
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
First, my condolences on your loss. {{Uprooted and family}}

I'm assuming that since you said you've looked everywhere, that includes unpacking his bags and checking pockets of clothes he's worn this weekend and stuff like that? I usually find my keys in the prior day's pants pocket when they vanish.

Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Thanks for your good thoughts.

I was alone outside w/ my brother for a minute as we combed through hedges and under deck (in case keys dropped out of pockets or he placed them on railing) and asked him about nephew and he said, "The suspicion is growing in my mind."

Of course, if nephew did it he picked the perfect victim w/ his dad's tendency to misplace his keys. But I imagine this is not too fun for him anymore if it was his little joke.

The local Honda dealership opens at 12:30 but we're figuring there probably won't be anyone there who can help make a key on a Sunday anyway.

Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they're here in Australia. Hold on a second, I'll check.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cheiros do ender
Member # 8849

- posted      Profile for cheiros do ender   Email cheiros do ender         Edit/Delete Post 
Nah, it's not here. Sorry.
Posts: 1138 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
Have you talked to the nephew at all? Ask him if he's seen them.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlueWizard
Member # 9389

- posted      Profile for BlueWizard   Email BlueWizard         Edit/Delete Post 
While I sympathize with your plight and don't want to minimize it in any way, nor do I want to cast the cloud of doom over you, I will relate my own lost key incident.

This occured many years ago. I lived in Minneapolis in a side-by-sde duplex with parking in the rear. This was in a quiet residential neighborhood near 35th and Lyndale South (which will only have meaning to those familiar with Mpls).

I got up early (about 10am) and went to the grocery store. Bought my groceries, came home, and parked in back. Keep in mind that I am driving my car. I exited the car, walked to the passengers side, used the keys to unlock the door, picked up my bags of groceries, and walked toward the house. When I got to the house I realized I couldn't unlock the door because I didn't have my keys. I went back to the car and searched everywhere; in the door lock, under the seats, on the ground, everywhere I could think of, every reasonable place and even a few unreasonable places. GONE! ABSOLUTELY GONE.

The distance between the alley where I parked my car and the back door of my house is about 1/4 of a block; very short. I asked the neighbors to keep an eye out for it (the neighbor boy mows my lawn and shovels my snow). I was forced to climb in through a window and get my spare set of car and house keys. Never in several years of living there did those key show up.

I suspect they are now in that special dimension where missing socks go.

By the way, the auto dealer will be able to create a duplicate set of keys, but they will need the vehicle VIN number, and if possible the number of one of the locks. The lock numbers are difficult to get at, the trunk lock might be easiest. Though the lock number is usually not necessary. They will however need a drivers license, and if possible insurance and registration document to prove car ownership. If the car is unlocked, you should definitely bring those documents.

Which brings up another possibility, have you looked in the car. Frequently when I have bags in the car, I remove my keys and drop them between my legs while I gather up the bags. Occassionally, I will forget them there, and later find them laying on the seat. Or I will have them in my lap and they will drop on the floor of the car, or just outside the car door. Or, sometimes I just leave them in the ignition or in the trunk lock. Just a few weeks ago I was seaching for my car keys, and found I had left them in the trunk lock over night.

I don't suppose there is anyone back home who could Fed-Ex a spare set of keys to your friend?

Just a few thoughts.

Steve/BlueWizard

[ August 27, 2006, 02:52 PM: Message edited by: BlueWizard ]

Posts: 803 | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

They left, but never did find the keys. We said "here, take Mom's car and we'll work out a switch next weekend." Stress level was way higher than we needed under the circumstances so we were like, "GO, already."
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Oh, and to answer some questions, yes, nephew was involved in the search all along but that doesn't mean he wasn't putting on an act for our benefit; we looked in the car through the windows but didn't see them--I hope that's where they are but unlikely since he normally only locks the car w/ the clicker thingy; the dealer said they could make a key first thing in the morning but he didn't want to wait that long. It would have been nice to have them an extra day but not if he was never able to calm down about it.

And if they're not down there in Australia then I guess they must be in the missing sock dimension!! ;-)

Kelly
Member # 9576

- posted      Profile for Kelly   Email Kelly         Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry for your loss [Frown]
Posts: 104 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Did you try offering up a reward for the recovery of the keys? That may just lead the suspect to flush them out for you.

And my sincere condolences on your loss. I wish you and your family comfort and strength in this difficult time.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SoaPiNuReYe
Member # 9144

- posted      Profile for SoaPiNuReYe           Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to make sure that he actually took them before you accuse him of anything.
Posts: 1158 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Nope, no accusations from me w/o evidence. Anyway, they're home now. The cats, who have been disturbed by a week without their favorite person and all these strangers in the house, and much more traumatized by our rampaging search for the keys, have now come out of hiding and are acting like life is normal again.

I sat down to start writing about my dad but I'm not ready yet. Thanks for the kind thoughts.

Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry for your loss. ((((Uprooted and family))))

Have you checked in everything? I once lost twenty dollars, then found it in an old folder.

Curse the missing sock demension! I've lost many soccer and volleyballs to you. I'll never forget how you took my favorite CD. A pox on you!

Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.