FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » What does this say about our societal values?

Author Topic: What does this say about our societal values?
Pelegius
Member # 7868

- posted      Profile for Pelegius           Edit/Delete Post 
In a poll by the discovery channel, Ronald Reagan was voted the greatest American, George W. Bush the greatest living American, Elvis the 8th greatest American and Oprah the greatest American woman. Albert Einstein being voted Greates Jewish American, MLK as greatest African-American and Elenor Roosevelt as the greatest First Lady were the only bursts of reason in the superlative list.

The B.B.C. poll for greatest Britons was almost as bad, with Princess Diana as number three (the rest of the top ten were quite reasonable.)

The greates Canadian contest was reasonable, with a few too many Hockey players.

Le Plus Grand Français, Nejv?tší ?ech, and De Grootste Nederlander were all normal lists of real achievers.

Why?

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
sounds like a problem with what demographs were polled.

This can be related to what medium they used to poll as well as where they polled.

Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TomDavidson
Member # 124

- posted      Profile for TomDavidson   Email TomDavidson         Edit/Delete Post 
Pel, it all comes down to demographics. Bear in mind, too, that what you consider an "achievement" may not in fact be what someone else considers an achievement.
Posts: 37449 | Registered: May 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
Could we have a link?
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kasie H
Member # 2120

- posted      Profile for Kasie H   Email Kasie H         Edit/Delete Post 
And just remember that Ronald Reagan had recently died when this poll was conducted. Meaning everyone had his most wonderful attributes on the brain, plus they all felt bad for Nancy, when they were voting. Also California was the state from which the most votes came...lovely RR was CA GOV.
Posts: 1784 | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stan the man
Member # 6249

- posted      Profile for Stan the man   Email Stan the man         Edit/Delete Post 
Polls don't mean anything except to the media who like to make a huge deal of them. Besides, as far as the Canadian one goes.... Is there anything up there besides hockey? [Smile]
Posts: 2208 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
King of Men
Member # 6684

- posted      Profile for King of Men   Email King of Men         Edit/Delete Post 
Einstein was German.
Posts: 10645 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by King of Men:
Einstein was German.

he eventually renounced his German citezenship and became an American KOM.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
he was even stateless for a while. [Smile]

Though, I don't think he ever was stranded in an airport. [Razz]

He ended up with both American and Swiss citizenships.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrhawn
Member # 7039

- posted      Profile for Lyrhawn   Email Lyrhawn         Edit/Delete Post 
"What does your favorite animal say about you?"

"Nothing, cats can't talk. But if he COULD talk, I imagine he'd have only nice things to say."

Posts: 21898 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissande
Member # 350

- posted      Profile for Lissande   Email Lissande         Edit/Delete Post 
I feel the need to comment that the only reason Největší čech was a "normal list of real achievers" is because the organizers refused to allow Jára Cimrman to qualify - on the grounds that competitors had to have actually lived at some point.

Czechs have a sense of humor. [Big Grin]

See?

Posts: 2762 | Registered: Sep 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkKnight
Member # 7536

- posted      Profile for DarkKnight   Email DarkKnight         Edit/Delete Post 
so far I haven't seen what this says about our societal values?
Posts: 1918 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
It says that there are a whole lot of people out there who disagree with your estimations of certain people.
Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
*touches her nose and points to Lisa*
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I was rushed for time when I wrote this, but let me just say that German edition, Unsere Besten, with the top ten being:
  • Konrad Adenauer
  • Luther
  • Marx
  • The Scholls
  • Brandt
  • Bach
  • Göthe
  • Gutenberg
  • Bismark
  • Einstetin
while entirely predictable was a much better group (Hitler and Nazis were excluded.)

Perhaps part of this has to do with the fact that most countries' polls were conducted by state television channels (the B.B.C. was the first), while the U.S.'s was done by a private channel.

Posts: 1332 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
No one knows who they think the greatest American is. They have no idea. They may think "Oh, well I'll put Bush!" but really they have no idea.

You can't measure greatness. Great people do great deeds every day, and they never, ever become famous.

Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"Great people do great deeds every day, and they never, ever become famous."

Do you mean that some great people never become famous, or that none ever do. The former is true, the later false.

Choosing the greatest American is hard, amoung politicians it would have to be FDR or Lilcoln, but neither would win my highest praise. Several on the list, including Einstein and Bell (both of whom are claimed by three different countries) and even Carl Sagan would be higher on my list than Reagan. Jimmy Carter would too, for his life after the disasterous spell in the White House.

Lisa
Member # 8384

- posted      Profile for Lisa   Email Lisa         Edit/Delete Post 
Lincoln was a tyrant, FDR was a disaster, and Reagan made sure the Soviet Union died.

I'll vote Reagan.

Posts: 12266 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspectre
Member # 2222

- posted      Profile for aspectre           Edit/Delete Post 
Arpanet killed the SovietUnion, and I'm sure you won't understand why.
Posts: 8501 | Registered: Jul 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

"and Reagan made sure the Soviet Union died."

No empire nor mighty state has ever fallen due to external pressure alone: the Soviet Union killed itself.

The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Reagan made sure the Soviet Union died.
I have yet to see one iota of evidence that Reagan's policies had anything to do with the collapse of the Soviet Union. In fact, I have seen substantial evidence that they did not.

It seems that republicans think that if they repeat this enough times it some how makes it true. Not so. If you are going to make that claim, you are going to have to back it with evidence.

Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Rabbit
Member # 671

- posted      Profile for The Rabbit   Email The Rabbit         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by aspectre:
Arpanet killed the SovietUnion, and I'm sure you won't understand why.

You are right. Please explain to us how Arpanet killed the Soviet Union.
Posts: 12591 | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
Pel: are you talking about mr carter hammering a few nails or the fact he negotiated the treaty that helped North Korea get nukes?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

I am talking about his various roles in his post-presidency, including "hammering a few nails." (By the way, Mr Carter's treaty was designed to halt North Korean production which it temporarily did, I doubt anyone could stop Kim Il Sung from doing what he pleases in that field, but Mr Carter has been exactly as sucessful as the others that have tried.)
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Pelegius:
In a poll by the discovery channel, Ronald Reagan was voted the greatest American, George W. Bush the greatest living American, Elvis the 8th greatest American and Oprah the greatest American woman. Albert Einstein being voted Greates Jewish American, MLK as greatest African-American and Elenor Roosevelt as the greatest First Lady were the only bursts of reason in the superlative list.

The B.B.C. poll for greatest Britons was almost as bad, with Princess Diana as number three (the rest of the top ten were quite reasonable.)

The greates Canadian contest was reasonable, with a few too many Hockey players.

Le Plus Grand Français, Nejv?tší ?ech, and De Grootste Nederlander were all normal lists of real achievers.

Why?

You don't think Oprah is the greatest American woman? Don't let her hear you say that, I hear she is not to be messed with, plus she has a lot of money and can destroy you.
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pelegius
Member # 7868

Funny, [Smile]
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought so! [Big Grin] Sorry I'm in a wierd mood no offense meant. [Wink]
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.