FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Machu Picchu Advice/Help

Author Topic: Machu Picchu Advice/Help
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
So my best friend asked me what I was doing this June . . . and I said "I dunno, working." And then she said, "Well, do you think you can take some time off? Because I kind of want to go to Machu Picchu." And I said, "OK! YEAH!"

Sooo . . . know anyone who's gone? We'd like to hike in. If I could find a company that would allow us to do the last few miles in the dark in the early morning of the last day so we could watch the sun rise over the city before the tourists arrive, that would be AMAZING. Also, we are somewhat limited in the finances department. As in Cat is in med school and I teach test prep part-time/ do other odd jobs. Prices for guides seem to be all over the place, like from $360 to over $2000. Both include guides, tents, three meals a day, park entrance fees . . . and yet there is a $1,600 difference. Hmm.

Plus, you know, flights to South America. And I dunno what else.

Any advice would be way beyond what I've been able to find out googling stuff, and much appreciated.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Does one include oxygen? 'Cause, as an asthmatic, that would be important to me. [Wink]
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Shan
Member # 4550

- posted      Profile for Shan           Edit/Delete Post 
you're soooo pragmatic, KQ . . . *grin*
Posts: 5609 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bokonon
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Bokonon           Edit/Delete Post 
Go to the doctor, get malaria and other booster shots. This requires going to the doctor a month or two in advance.

Do not pass go, do not collect $200 dollars.

-Bok

Posts: 7021 | Registered: Nov 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Go to the doctor, get malaria
[ROFL]
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, man! My boyfriend and I are talking about going there in December.

I looked up flights a few weeks ago, and they were like $1100 apiece, I think. Otherwise, I can't help too much, but I'll soak up information. [Razz]

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

kq, they do have a bottle of emergency oxygen in the first aid kit, at least for the tour operation I'm leaning toward, perutreks.com I'm also thinking that I'll just start driving up to Estes Park in the months before I go and running around up there to get in good shape for altitude. Well, higher altitude, I'm over a mile high here in Boulder.

Ergh, I took malaria pills when I went to Honduras. They were secretly "suck all the moisture out of your body and give you psycho dreams" pills. Icky. But having little critters in your blood would be worse . . .

Yeah, pH, I did a quick search on Expedia and got about $1100 for the ticket too. Luckily it looks like it's cheaper once you're down there, for hotels and stuff.

On a totally unrelated note, does anyone know anything about robbing banks?

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
El JT de Spang
Member # 7742

- posted      Profile for El JT de Spang   Email El JT de Spang         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't rob banks -- they're way too secure.

Rob a McDonalds. Tons of cash, way underpaid employees with no company loyalty, and no safe.

Um, I've heard.

Posts: 5462 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pH
Member # 1350

- posted      Profile for pH           Edit/Delete Post 
When you say hotels are cheaper, what sorts of hotels do you mean? Because after my adventures with no working light or hot water in the bathroom in Cannes, along with no heat in January, I have a strict no-budget-hotels policy when staying somewhere outside the country.

-pH

Posts: 9057 | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

McDonalds! Cool.

pH - Check out andeantravelweb.com. You can click on a city, such as Cusco, and you get a nice list of hotels by price. Hot water seems pretty standard even at the hostels. I plan on staying somewhere in Cusco with hot water, electricity, access to drinkable water, within walking distance of cool stuff, safe . . . I think the key is going to be doing research ahead of time. I kind of like to stay in budget hotels when they're family run and have workign toilets and hot water. Feels more like I'm somewhere other than a tourist hotel. But if they don't have basics, all I want is a boring place with hot water!

Bob_Scopatz
Member # 1227

- posted      Profile for Bob_Scopatz   Email Bob_Scopatz         Edit/Delete Post 
Macchu Picchu is amazing!

Hiking there along the Inca trail would be a wonderful idea.

Be aware that the surrounding countryside has been under control of the Shining Path in the past. You should get up-to-date information on where it is safe/not safe for tourists to go.

Build PLENTY of flexibility into your travel plans. Do not expect anything to happen at the scheduled time. Be where you are supposed to be if you can, but then don't get worried if you have to wait an hour, or two, or 24 to actually continue on to your destination.

The airports are FULL of pickpockets. Make sure you keep your passport/ID, credit cards and money in one of those carriers or at least in a front pocket.

Flying in/out of Cuzco is an adventure. If you can do it, schedule an early morning flight over the mountains. Why? The turbulence builds to hellatious proportions as the sun heats the high places and they sometimes stop the flights, but what is worse, sometimes they don't stop the flights.

I figure you probably won't be taking trains, but if you do...As much as it might sound like fun to take the trains with the "locals" in order to absorb more of the local flavor of the country. Don't do it! You will be stuck on sidings for hours. The trains stop seemingly at random to pick up people anywhere along the route. And the quaintness of riding with farm animals wears off rather quickly.

Traveling by car with a driver and interpreter is actually a very affordable option there. I rode in a Mercedes with two other adults in the back seat and we had a grand old time. Our driver was a maniac and got offended when I put on my seatbelt, but they just chalked it to my being a crazy American. Roadblocks are common there! Seriously a pain. You never know who is stopping you. Could be police. Could be Government troops. Could be rebels. Could be people trying to sell llama wool blankets.

DO NOT just do Macchu Picchu. There's so much to do in/around Cuzco, for example. And Lima. Even the Amazon is not that far away. I know the hiking sounds really cool, but if you spend all that time hiking in monotonous terrain, you may miss some amazing things. Other Inca towns are in that area too. It's just amazing.

Go to one of the open air markets on market day too!

Once in the country, everything IS pretty cheap except in Lima, and even there, a lot of stuff (like transportation) is cheap. It's just the high price of some things that'll surprise you.

Have a wonderful time. Be safe!

Enjoy!

Do NOT read the book Alive before flying over the Andes at mid-day. Or...maybe you should.

Posts: 22497 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.