FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » US Open (Tennis)

Author Topic: US Open (Tennis)
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's going to be the best major this year, and I've watched them all! Can anyone challenge the mighty reign of Roger Federer? Rafael Nadal maybe, but we all know that the hard court isn't his surface. Nadal has never made it past the 3rd round in the US Open. However, he's playing pretty well this year, having made it to the final round of the French (where he won) and Wimbledon (where he lost).

What about Roddick? He's had a bad couple of years, especially after losing in the first round of last year's US Open. But now he has Jimmy Connors in his corner, and seems to be reinvigorated. Can he beat Federer? Personally, I think he's too reliant on his serve and big forehand. Federer's all around game is superior, and thus far has proven to be too much for Roddick. I'd be interested to see if Roddick can at least make it to the final round again.

The big story of course is that it's Agassi's last professional tournament. He's played in 21 US Opens, won 2 of them, and everyone is wondering if he can do it again. All signs point to no. After his first round match against Andrei Pavel, Agassi had to get a cortisone shot in his back. Apparently he could barely even move. As I write this post, he's playing Marcos Baghdatis and is up a break. My hope is that even if Agassi doesn't win, he at least makes a very impressive run.

I'm not as knowledgeable about women's tennis, though I do enjoy watching them play. As always, I was rooting for Martina Hingis, and alas, today she lost. I'm thinking and hoping that Sharapova will win the women's title.

Anyone else watching the US Open and enjoying it as much as I am?

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xavier
Member # 405

- posted      Profile for Xavier   Email Xavier         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. That's all I can say. What a match!
Posts: 5656 | Registered: Oct 1999  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fitz
Member # 4803

- posted      Profile for Fitz   Email Fitz         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! What a match that was. Agassi seemingly posed to win it easily in the 4th, and then an incredible comeback for Baghdatis. Then in the 5th, some of the most intense back and forth deuce/advantage games I've ever watched. That match was a lot of fun to watch.

Agassi lives!!!

Posts: 1855 | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lupus
Member # 6516

- posted      Profile for Lupus   Email Lupus         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't wait for tonight. First we have Sharapova's match, then we have Roddick vs Hewitt.

That will be a great night of tennis.

Posts: 1901 | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame Agassi couldn't make it to Roddick and at least go out against a top player.
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.