FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » The No-Elephant Thread (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: The No-Elephant Thread
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

- posted      Profile for Dan_raven   Email Dan_raven         Edit/Delete Post 
This is an experiment.

With the lack of success with B34n's Cartoon PC thread's ability to get move away from an earlier controversy it made me wonder.

If I posted a thread that said we could discuss anything except elephants, what would be the result.

So here we are. Post something. Post anything. Just don't mention Elephants (not even Pachyderms).

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
Too late.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

- posted      Profile for MightyCow           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Dan_raven:
Just don't mention Elephants (not even Pachyderms).

Thread failed [Frown]
Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
What about republicans?
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

The first thread is immune since you can't deny something without mentioning it.

Republicans are fine to mention, unless you make pointed comparisons to the large grey not-to-be named mammals.

(On a definate tangent, what if Voldemort gained power every time someone said "He-who-must-not-be-named."

Posts: 11895 | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PUNJABEE
Member # 7359

- posted      Profile for PUNJABEE   Email PUNJABEE         Edit/Delete Post 
What about mammoths?
Posts: 317 | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
So, elephants can be mentioned, but only in the first post? What's so special about the first post?
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Oh no, I said it!
Oh, I said it again! Ni!

Posts: 3950 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

quote:
What's so special about the first post?
Well, I wrote it. That automatically makes it very special.

Mighty Cow--get me a Shrubbery.

mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

So, the rule is that Dan can mention elephants, but nobody else can?

I don't think I like this game.

MightyCow
Member # 9253

You know what I don't like? Hot Pockets.
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

Oh I am not the type to faint when things are odd or things are quaint but seein' things I know there ain't is really too much for me!

[Smile]
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Demonstrocity
Member # 9579

- posted      Profile for Demonstrocity   Email Demonstrocity         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by MightyCow:
You know what I don't like? Hot Pockets.

To Prepare:
1) Remove from wrapper.
2) Place in toilet.

"Flush Pockets!"

<3 Jim Gaffigan.

Posts: 246 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrSquicky
Member # 1802

- posted      Profile for MrSquicky   Email MrSquicky         Edit/Delete Post 
Honestly, I don't really care that much about the Megatron thing, except that the shiny, spiky thing might not really work for the character. They had to make a choice as to whether they were going to try to be as faithful to the original cartoon as possible or whether they were going to present a modified version. A live action/CG mix just isn't going to work with a huge robot turning into a gun. They could have done the cannon or tank thing, but they decided to go in another direction.

I don't think that this automatically screws it up, if what they go with still works in terms of Megatron's character. I'm a little more leery of the Bumblebee thing, but, in final analysis, I'm not that interested in the movie really, so there you go.
Elephant.

Posts: 10177 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

Pocket Pocket!
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

- posted      Profile for The Pixiest   Email The Pixiest         Edit/Delete Post 
What's wrong with Snot Pockets? "What're ya gonna pick?" Snot Pockets!
Posts: 7085 | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Belle
Member # 2314

- posted      Profile for Belle   Email Belle         Edit/Delete Post 
The University of Alabama's first game is tomorrow. I'm so excited that college football is back!
Posts: 14428 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, even Mr. Rogers talks about elephants! There was an elephant on just the other day!
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
I dont think any sports teams feature our unamed animal as a mascot.
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, also, elephants are natural. You all must have a lot of hangups to not be able to talk about elephants.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BlackBlade
Member # 8376

- posted      Profile for BlackBlade   Email BlackBlade         Edit/Delete Post 
How could Mr. Rogers talk about that? He is not alive anymore, were you watching a rerun?
Posts: 14316 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

It's not the type of animal that would be associated with a sporting event anyway. "Yeah, let's name our team after a big, bulky, slow, two ton animal, OK?"
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheTick
Member # 2883

- posted      Profile for TheTick   Email TheTick         Edit/Delete Post 
The Oakland A's mascot is the animal you will not say.
Posts: 5422 | Registered: Dec 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Pixiest
Member # 1863

Nighthawk: On the other hand, who's going to manage to tackle one?
Goody Scrivener
Member # 6742

- posted      Profile for Goody Scrivener   Email Goody Scrivener         Edit/Delete Post 
Nighthawk, reminds me of a Bears game I was at a couple years ago. Big bulky defensive tackle somehow ends up with the ball, lumbers downfield.... roughly 90 second play for about 60 yards and I swear the man was hoping someone would come take him down. I was stunned that he got that far, actually, and I think he ended up tripping on his own feet rather than getting stopped by the other team.
Posts: 4515 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

- posted      Profile for cmc   Email cmc         Edit/Delete Post 
Dan_raven... What if he LOST power everyone said his name??!! I know - that doesn't really make much sense but I like the idea better... ; )
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
Here they come! Hippety hoppety!
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ElJay
Member # 6358

- posted      Profile for ElJay           Edit/Delete Post 
That was catagorized as nudity by SmartFilter, Tante. I didn't expect to have to worry about a link from YOU.
Posts: 7954 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
No nudity. Honest. Just a scene from Dumbo. A G-rated Disney movie, for crying out loud.

You've got really tight filters.

Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dan_raven
Member # 3383

Its not that I am biased against the nameless animals. Its that you are all obsessed with them, and can't go a day without posting about them.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by ElJay:
That was catagorized as nudity by SmartFilter, Tante. I didn't expect to have to worry about a link from YOU.

*giggles* Unless, of course, she's talking about chicken breasts.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Oh, and they are indeed nude. But it's not HUMAN nudity!
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

You have no idea how sad I am that that link no longer works.
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone wanna ham sandwich?
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
That link broke my computer, but only after breaking my eyes. [Smile]

Oh, by the way...

!!!!!!!!!!!!WAR EAGLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JennaDean
Member # 8816

- posted      Profile for JennaDean   Email JennaDean         Edit/Delete Post 
Woo hoo!!! Go Auburn!!!
quote:
Hey, even Mr. Rogers talks about elephants! There was an elephant on just the other day!
KQ, was it Harriet? Or H.J.?
Posts: 1522 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by BlackBlade:

Um, yeah, here, they're mascots of a LOT of teams.

They even regularly ride in parades, wearing ribbons and sporting paint and all sorts of things.

(Fahim's singing. Please, someone, put me out of my misery...)

And they have the smelliest dung of the entire animal kingdom. [Frown]

Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nighthawk
Member # 4176

- posted      Profile for Nighthawk   Email Nighthawk         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Tante Shvester:
No nudity. Honest. Just a scene from Dumbo. A G-rated Disney movie, for crying out loud.

You've got really tight filters.

Hey, The Rescuers was G-rated too, and we know what happened there...
Posts: 3486 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
WHY, Tante, WHYYYY [Cry]
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

quote:
Originally posted by JennaDean:
quote:
KQ, was it Harriet? Or H.J.?
H.J.

And last week there was a whole week of make-believe about elephants. You know, with the song:

"You can tell at once
We are elephants
We are elephants all day long."

Dead_Horse
Member # 3027

- posted      Profile for Dead_Horse   Email Dead_Horse         Edit/Delete Post 
i thought there might be one of those unnamed animals under my kitchen sink. but it's just that the drain pipe fell off. rats! [Cry]
Posts: 1379 | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juxtapose
Member # 8837

- posted      Profile for Juxtapose   Email Juxtapose         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
posted by Demonstrocity:
<3 Jim Gaffigan.

Oh, man. Hot Pockets are so good I can literally (by which of, course, I mean figuratively) feel my arteries constrict. Only 74 away from heart asplode.

Death Pockets!

Posts: 2907 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

I'll bet you could make a ton of money selling something called Death Pockets, if you marketed them to the X-treme crowd.
Tatiana
Member # 6776

- posted      Profile for Tatiana   Email Tatiana         Edit/Delete Post 
[Smile]

I think we should stop all this secrecy and subterfuge and just be honest and straightforward about Elephants.

Elephants, elephants, elephants. They're big, they're gray, they're cute in an ugly sort of way. They grab things with their noses. They're smarter than most folks supposes.

There! Isn't that a relief? The truth will set you free!

Posts: 6246 | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

Anyone ever read 'Nobody Knows I Have Delicate Toes' when they were young? It was one of my FAVORITES. My Mom still has at least parts of it memorized.
Posts: 1355 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MightyCow
Member # 9253

I just ordered a Hot Pocket in a restaurant. It did NOT come with the side of Metamucil that I ordered.

Let me tell you how sad I am right now [Frown]

cmc
Member # 9549

Hot pockets have a new product out - calzones.
Palliard
Member # 8109

- posted      Profile for Palliard   Email Palliard         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not understand this fascination with Hot Pockets. To me they appear to be sub-standard piroshkis.
Posts: 196 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cmc
Member # 9549

I'm actually not a fan - but where I work (home office of a warehouse club) exposes me to all the new products that come out... I was just throwin' it out there. ; )
B34N
Member # 9597

- posted      Profile for B34N   Email B34N         Edit/Delete Post 
So what do you ahve against elephants? I like elephants. Dumbo was an elephant and everybody likes dumbo! Why do you have to pick on elephants! There mammals too, you know. I mean seriously why elephants, you could single out "Spicy Mustard" I think this thread would be better if it were made so that you couldn't talk about "Spicy Mustard" and why oh why is it my thread that keeps getting picked on? Geez, you'd think I was some horrible person, well I am, so there!
Posts: 871 | Registered: Jul 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.