FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Clothing Stores for My Mom

Author Topic: Clothing Stores for My Mom
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom has a wedding to attend, and she has agreed that this can be the start of a a new wardrobe, YAY! This has been a loong time coming. So - we are going to go shopping, and I'm thinking we should hit up Nordies, Chico's, Eddie Bauer, Coldwater Creek . . . what other stores are appropriate/ good choices for a woman in her fifties? Or brands?

Thanks so much! SO excited.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
quidscribis
Member # 5124

- posted      Profile for quidscribis   Email quidscribis         Edit/Delete Post 
Put her in a sari or a shalwaar kameez. They're lovely, elegant, and suit most any body type. [Smile]
Posts: 8355 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
The only other one I can think of is Talbot's, though I like the clothes at Chico's, EB, and CC much better, personally.
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Ahh, but then I would have to know how to tie a sari . . . and I do not. Also the invitation said beach casual, and is in Virginia Beach, and while I feel that saris are actaully quite traditional beach-wear, I'm not sure the bride would agree.

Talbot's - we will check that out too. I was thinking that maybe there's some stuff at Banana and Ann Taylor? Even though they're typically aimed at a younger group? My mom is about 5'4" and has recently lost weight, but she's well endowed, so it's going to be all about fit. I think the Petite department at Nordie's may turn out to be a Godsend. And we're going bra shopping first, that's crucial.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

We're going in two hours - what are the staple pieces of any well-dressed woman's wardrobe? A woman in the West going into the Fall season?
MandyM
Member # 8375

- posted      Profile for MandyM   Email MandyM         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely go to Nord's for bras! I am also well endowed and found I had been wearing the wrong size for years. I watched Oprah's bra special and I actually ended up with the same bra she buys. Now my back doesn't hurt and my girls look great!

It's too bad Petite Sophisticate and Casual Corner went out of business! That was my favorite store and they had lovely clothes for all body types. If you have Dillards where you are, I would try them too.

Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Well, I have no idea what your budget it but if I were buying a whole wardrobe from scratch, I would find a pair of pants that fit me well and buy it in 2-3 colors (brown and black for sure). I would get a skirt or two, and maybe 10 shirts, both dressy and casual to mix and match with those bottoms. I would definitely get a blazer for fall and a fancy dress. Since you are getting bras, get some good undies and some new pajamas too. You also have to get new shoes if you get new clothes!
Posts: 1319 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Theca
Member # 1629

- posted      Profile for Theca           Edit/Delete Post 
Everyone here seems to love Steinmart for quality and prices. But I've never really been in the store.
Posts: 1990 | Registered: Feb 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
breyerchic04
Member # 6423

- posted      Profile for breyerchic04   Email breyerchic04         Edit/Delete Post 
My mom is late fifties and shops at Ann Taylor quite a bit, has great teacher clothes.
Posts: 5362 | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Do you have a Robinson's-May? My mom and grandma like them beter than Nordstrom's.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

- posted      Profile for ketchupqueen   Email ketchupqueen         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, and for plus size stuff, Lane Bryant has some very classy things.
Posts: 21182 | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Thanks guys! We went to Coldwater Creek - nothing. The main problem there was that the shirts were VERY boxy and the pants had either no pockets or pockets that were very low, so it made her backside look not cute.

Then Eddie Bauer. Again, nada. It's really hard to find shirts that fit her in the shoulders AND through the bust. I can tell this is going to be an ongoing endeavor.

Finally Nordies, that oasis of calm, and class, and overpriced clothes . . . but we found jeans and corduroys that actually fit. A small miracle.

We're going to wash them and then take them back to get them hemmed - and then continue our search!

Mandy - we will definitely check out Dillard's. Our Foley's just became a Macy's, so I think we might check that out. We have a DSW show warehouse here too, and I'd like to take her there to start the great Shoe Hunt. Sometimes you have to suck it up and pay full price, but DSW is pretty awesome.

Theca - Thanks for the Steinmart suggestion! I've seen their ads on TV, so I'm sure there's one somewhere around here, though I'm not sure where. I'll look it up for next time.

breyerchic04 - My mom hit the wall before we go to Ann Taylor, but I definitely want to try it out. The fabrics are just so nice, and the cuts are very classic.

kq - I'm not familiar with Robinson's-May, but I'll look it up. My mom's chest may qualify as a small plus size, but the rest of her is petite! And I thought I was hard to shop for . . . we have to get a fit through the chest and shoulders, but then we can take the torso in a bit. I think that's what we'll just have to do.

Thanks so much!

ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

Samarkand, if you're willing to pay through the teeth, Land's End will make custom blouses for you.
ketchupqueen
Member # 6877

(They make custom pants and jeans, too, but they're even more expensive.)
Samarkand
Member # 8379

And reason number 5,712 to become independently wealthy is - custom Land's End clothes for my mom! Thanks kq, I'm clue her in to it in case she'd like to try it. Pretty cool service, actually.
littlemissattitude
Member # 4514

- posted      Profile for littlemissattitude   Email littlemissattitude         Edit/Delete Post 
I just turned 50 - I didn't know that there are only certain stores that are "appropriate" for me to shop in now.
Posts: 2454 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Well, I think anyone of any age can shop wherever they like, but there's a higher likelihood of finding clothing that you like, feel comfortable in, and look good in in certain stores. For example, as a 23 year old, I do not find myself overly interested in the clothing in the Narrative department of Nordie's, but I love Savvy. That doesn't mean I can't shop in Narrative; it just means I usually don't even look, because historically Savvy has worked out much better. And my mom's NOT a shopper, I would have murdered for taking her into every store.
Princesska
Member # 8954

- posted      Profile for Princesska           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh God, I hope I'm not limited to certain "appropriate" stores when I'm 50!

Take your mom to a place you could enjoy yourself, like TJ Maxx. They're inexpensive and they have everything.

Also, I don't think there are any stores which specialize in women of "a certain age" that use advertisements with models also of that age. Ann Taylor -- that's middle-age clothing. Ignore the models; they're all one side of thirty. Just look at the clothing -- or rather, have your mom look at it. She's 50; she should know what works by now.

That said, if she is trying to find a new look, I'd recommend preppy. Try Banana Republic, the Gap, Ralph Lauren, and Izod. A cinched light cotton jacket with a matching long A-line skirt would flatter any woman!

Posts: 44 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MyrddinFyre
Member # 2576

- posted      Profile for MyrddinFyre           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Oh God, I hope I'm not limited to certain "appropriate" stores when I'm 50!
On the contrary, I can't wait 'til I'm fifty so I can shop at Chico's!
Posts: 3636 | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MandyM
Member # 8375

Myrddin, me too! I go in there but I just feel weird and I am usually the youngest one there and I'm 33!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.