FacebookTwitter
Hatrack River Forum   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Forum » Active Forums » Books, Films, Food and Culture » Literary Puzzles - A Hatrack Game (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Literary Puzzles - A Hatrack Game
TL
Member # 8124

- posted      Profile for TL   Email TL         Edit/Delete Post 
Here are the rules. Whoever is "it" shall describe the plots of 3 books. The first person to guess all three is the winner, and becomes "it" and sets the next puzzle. Each puzzle should have a theme, and should increase in difficulty with 1 being easiest and 3 being hardest. All books listed should be "known" books, and should not be *totally* impossible to Google. Keep in mind we want this game to keep moving. The point is not to stump everyone.

I'll go first.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

THEME: Games and Game-Playing.

1) Several people of various ages and backgrounds all receive the news that a great man has been murdered, and that one of them is the murderer. Whoever uncovers the identity of the murderer will receive the great man's fortune as a reward. They all must use their various skills and interests to try to solve the mystery and receive the reward.

2) A good and well-regarded man of considerable wealth suddenly loses everything, including his children, in a series of bizarre occurances which can only be described as supernatural. He maintains a positive outlook.

3) A librarian engages in a series of ever-more-dangerous games with a mysterious benefactor who leaves her riddles in the form of a series of letters. Every time she solves a riddle and overcomes a danger, she receives a new riddle and an increased monetary reward. Along the way some of the dangers she faces are: a statue, an attack dog, and cannibals.

Posts: 2267 | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
1- The Westing Game
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edgehopper
Member # 1716

- posted      Profile for Edgehopper   Email Edgehopper         Edit/Delete Post 
2 - The Book of Job (He didn't say they had to be novels, did he?)
Posts: 170 | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Soara
Member # 6729

- posted      Profile for Soara   Email Soara         Edit/Delete Post 
How do you determine who's "it" next if no one guesses all 3?
Posts: 464 | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

- posted      Profile for Samarkand   Email Samarkand         Edit/Delete Post 
I think the first person to list all three in one post gets to be "it".
Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Right. And both of those were correct. Now someone just needs to get #3.
firebird
Member # 1971

- posted      Profile for firebird   Email firebird         Edit/Delete Post 
I wanna play your game but I just can't get it!
:-(

Posts: 571 | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TL
Member # 8124

Okay, well, let's just move on. #3 was 'In The Dark' by Richard Laymon. Whoever wants to be "it" next, go ahead and post the next puzzle. It's a freebie.
Samarkand
Member # 8379

1) A girl, fed up with her mother, goes out into the desert. Aided by a furry friend, she finds a mysterious skeleton. Adventures ensue!

2) A young man with a strong aptitude for puzzles finds himself caught up in things beyond his ken. It's all tied up with a strange birthmark, a musical instrument, and a race of creatures from the sea . . .

3) A young woman of noble birth is trained in the ancient religion of her island, only to discover that she lives in a time when that religion will be sorely challenged. An accidental incestuous relationship complicates matters.

Posts: 471 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
#2 -- Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
#3 -- Tombs of Atuan

Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Oooh, no . . . but I can kind of see those, actually. I will say that the second book is by an author somewhat reminiscient of Ursual K. LeGuin, though . . .

Clues:

1) Main character's name begins with a T.
2) Main characer's name begins with an M.
3) Main character's name is the same as number 2. Ooooh.

Uprooted
Member # 8353

- posted      Profile for Uprooted   Email Uprooted         Edit/Delete Post 
#2 -- Riddlemaster of Hed
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Yes! Good job.
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Is #3 Heir of Sea and Fire? Too long ago since I read it . . .
Posts: 3149 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
#1 The Book of Ti'ana (wild guess)
#2 Riddlemaster of Hed
#3 Heir of Sea and Fire

Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Nope, #3 is an entirely different author and book. But quite well known, probably better than The Riddlemaster of Hed. #1 is really obscure, but also really fantastic.

I will say that #3 has at its heart a very common story. Told and retold a million different ways. And #1 was not written by Terry Brooks. [Wink]

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

- posted      Profile for GaalDornick           Edit/Delete Post 
#3 Manchu
Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

Think of weather for #3
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

- posted      Profile for mr_porteiro_head   Email mr_porteiro_head         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry, but #2 fits The Goblet of Fire. I claim credit for it.
Posts: 16551 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jeesh
Member # 9163

- posted      Profile for Jeesh           Edit/Delete Post 
Harry doesn't have an apptitude for puzzles.
Posts: 1164 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Uprooted
Member # 8353

Harry has a scar, not a birthmark. And what's the musical instrument in GoF? I'm sure there is one but my memory's not that good.
orlox
Member # 2392

- posted      Profile for orlox           Edit/Delete Post 
#3 Mists of Avalon
Posts: 675 | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

mr._porteiro_head, I am very sorry, but I was not trying to indicate Goblet of Fire with #2. The aptitude for puzzles (I couldn't very well use the word riddles), birthmark (three stars), musical instrument (harp) and race of people from the sea ****SPOILER ALERT**** NEEENOOONEEENOOOO

*****Earthmasters*******

make it a better fit for Riddlemaster.

#2 is indeed Riddlemaster of Hed (Uprooted)
#3 is Mists of Avalon, yay! (orlox)

#1 - a few more clues. It is obscure, but I love it so.

The main character and the author share the first three letters of their names. The first letter is a T.

"Bone. Found a bone."

The book is the first in a trilogy.

The second word of all three books in the trilogy is the same, but the first varies although they are all of a certain type. All titles are two words.

**EDIT: all titles IN THE SERIES that #3 is in are 2 words.

GaalDornick
Member # 8880

I can't believe #3 isn't Manchu. Look at the description. A young woman of noble birth on an island (Japan) and an incestuos relationship. Sounds exactly the same to me.
edit: ok I read the description too fast. It wasn;t an incestuous relationship.

Posts: 2054 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Carl Conrad Coreander
Member # 7851

- posted      Profile for Carl Conrad Coreander   Email Carl Conrad Coreander         Edit/Delete Post 
That first one must be REALLY obscure. No amount of googling is helping. Tell us a little about the 'furry friend'.
thethiefhekindlyspoke.pbwiki.com

[ June 04, 2007, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Carl Conrad Coreander ]

Posts: 46 | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

The furry friend is a pet peeve.
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

- posted      Profile for TheSeeingHand   Email TheSeeingHand         Edit/Delete Post 
The furry friend is something that gets on the main character's nerves? [Confused]
Posts: 161 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

Ohhhhhhh the creature is called a pet peeve (thank you google).

#1 Black Unicorn
#2 Riddlemaster of Hed
#3 Mists of Avalon

Samarkand
Member # 8379

Woohoo! TheSeeingHand wins! Choose your three plots . . .
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

#1 This book is about an architect. He is very talented and passionate about his work but has a unique style that offends many in a world where tradition is considered best.

#2 This book is about a man writing a book on the dropping of the atomic bomb. The book features a religion based on lies and a deadly ice.

#3 This book is about three children who disguise themselves as concierges because they were falsely accused of being arsonists and murderers.

EDIT: #1 is vague. More clue:
The main character has an affair with the daughter of a popular architect. The main character must also fight against the beliefs of a popular newspaper.

[ September 04, 2006, 04:37 PM: Message edited by: TheSeeingHand ]

Samarkand
Member # 8379

#1 The Agony and the Ectasy
# 2 A Canticle for Leibowitz

I dunno, I'm making this up as I go.

TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

1. Nah, but it was kind of vague so I don't blame you. Good guess.
2. Nope.

[ September 04, 2006, 04:49 PM: Message edited by: TheSeeingHand ]

Raia
Member # 4700

- posted      Profile for Raia   Email Raia         Edit/Delete Post 
3) The Penultimate Peril, by Lemony Snicket
Posts: 7877 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dasa
Member # 8968

- posted      Profile for Dasa   Email Dasa         Edit/Delete Post 
1) Fountainhead
Posts: 107 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
blacwolve
Member # 2972

- posted      Profile for blacwolve   Email blacwolve         Edit/Delete Post 
2. Cat's Cradle
Posts: 4655 | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tante Shvester
Member # 8202

- posted      Profile for Tante Shvester   Email Tante Shvester         Edit/Delete Post 
#3 is Lemony Snicket's Series of Unfortunate Events, no?
Posts: 10397 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheSeeingHand
Member # 8349

Raia got #3, Gasa got #1, blacwolve got #2.

So, who wins? No one put all 3 answers in the same post.

TL
Member # 8124

Quick, somebody put all three answers in the same post...
Samarkand
Member # 8379

I alreay did one, I'm don't think I should be allowed!
vonk
Member # 9027

- posted      Profile for vonk   Email vonk         Edit/Delete Post 
1)Fountainhead
2)Cat's Cradle
3)The Penultimate Peril

Does this mean I get it? [/thievery]

j/k... sigh I'm not literate (literary?) enough to ever win...

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
GaalDornick
Member # 8880

Man, I could've gotten two if I read this in time. I love that book.

[ September 05, 2006, 05:40 PM: Message edited by: GaalDornick ]

Samarkand
Member # 8379

K, vonk, post three plots!
vonk
Member # 9027

Alright, even though I completely didn't earn it, I'll post some plots. But only because no one else did.

1) A boy walks a long ways to buy two dogs. They grow up together and learn valuable life lessons until one dog gets eaten and the other dies of a broken heart. (too easy, but I love that book)

2) After her husband dies a woman has to handle all of the wacky/creepy things he did while he was doing interior decorating as well as his freakily eccentric family. After going past the brink of madness and painting a series of paintings she never sees she realizes that she has been caught up in a bizarre, supernatural family secret on which the entire beach community's future rests. A hotel burns down and the woman escapes with her daughter. Or does she? (I'm pretty sure I got that right, but if this sounds really familiar, only a little off, your probably right.)

3) A couple meets at a resort hotel and fall in love. They raise a family while the father tours the coast with a performing bear. The family opens a couple of hotels, have somewhat disturbing sexual escapades, some die, some go blind, all do generally crazy, entertaining and charming stuff.

Sorry if these are too detailed [edit: or not detailed enough], but I was having a really hard time just keeping them as short as they are. Good luck, they shouldn't be too hard. If hints are needed, they will be given.

[edit to try to make it more coherent]

[ September 06, 2006, 04:11 PM: Message edited by: vonk ]

Posts: 2596 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Samarkand
Member # 8379

1) Where the Red Fern Grows! (cries to herself)
vonk
Member # 9027

So, do ya'll need hints or are we just finished playing?
mr_porteiro_head
Member # 4644

If I had a guess, I'd guess.
Stray
Member # 4056

- posted      Profile for Stray   Email Stray         Edit/Delete Post 
Gah...I know I just saw #2 not long ago, like I was reading the cover blurb in the library or a bookstore or something...is it by Chuck Palahniuk?
Posts: 957 | Registered: Aug 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
vonk
Member # 9027

Okay, in the interest of keeping the game going, here are some hints:

2) This author is most popular with men in their twenties. His first novel was made into a movie by 20th Century Fox within the last ten years. This is actually his only novel that is not being optioned for a movie. The one word title is a kind of book.

3) The name of the first hotel the family opens is the name of the novel. It also includes the name of the state that they live in in the US. The state is not old but is in New England.

I hope that helps [Smile]

vonk
Member # 9027

Stray - why yes, yes it is.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.